IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

One Windows 7 laptop suddenly runs very slow

vett93

I have 6 paid copies of ASC 7 Pro on 6 PCs/laptops. These 6 computers had been running well. Thanks to ASC!

However, one Dell Windows 7 laptop suddenly started to run slow. I used ASC 7 Pro to try to improve the performance. But it still runs slow. The CPU utilization is only 5%. But it is much slower than before.

I also have Driver Booster and IObit Malware Fighter. But they do not seem to help.

What should I do next to figure out what is keeping the computer slow?

Suspicions!

I have 6 paid copies of ASC 7 Pro on 6 PCs/laptops. These 6 computers had been running well. Thanks to ASC!

However, one Dell Windows 7 laptop suddenly started to run slow. I used ASC 7 Pro to try to improve the performance. But it still runs slow. The CPU utilization is only 5%. But it is much slower than before.

I also have Driver Booster and IObit Malware Fighter. But they do not seem to help.

vett93,

I am suspicious of two things since the laptop SUDDENLY runs slow. Is your Virus scanner up to date w/definitions=>Do a Complete scan.

And,

This doesn't take anything away from IObit's Malware Fighter (Do you have Pro and Real Time protection?) but please install Malwarebytes latest anti-malware software (from Majorgeeks) and do a COMPLETE scan! You can use MBAM (Malwarebytes) for FREE if you just install the latest definitions and do a complete scan,you just won't have real-time protection.

Most importantly,please post in the Malware section of the Forum depending on your results. :-)

regards,

Cowboy

There are an unlimited number of reasons for a computer to start running slow. You must now do some detective work and try to identify your issue.

You have not provided enough information to enable users to assist you.

You do not mention an antivirus program and you do not have one mentioned in your profile info.

You did mention Driver Booster. Did you update any drivers on the problem pc before it began to run slow. Updating Drivers is one of the biggest reasons for slow running pc's. Another is virus issues.

You should try a restore of the pc back to a date prior to when the problem began. If this improves things you should be able to track down the problem.

Let me add more information. This laptop has Norton Internet Security and the free version of IObit Malware Fighter. I ran both programs and no virus/malware was found.

This is my wife's laptop and I don't remember if it started to slow down after I ran Driver Booster. Is there a way to revert back the drivers?

Let me add more descriptions about the slowness issue. The laptop works ok within the chrome browser. It is slow when I invoke chrome for the first time, it is very slow. When I want to open a Word file, it will take a lone time to invoke MS Word and then open the file. The laptop also takes much longer time to boot up.

Please let me know if I do not provide sufficient info. What should I do next? Thanks all.

I would like to add the following. I checked what additional programs were installed after my wife complained her laptop was slow. I found that her laptop had a few Apple programs. From my experience, Apple software slows down Windows PC/laptop. So I un-installed these Apple programs. But it is still very slow.

I am my wife's computer technician. In the past, a run of ASC Pro would do the trick. In other words, running ASC Pro had improved her computer very noticeably. However, it does not help anymore....

Try..

I would like to add the following. I checked what additional programs were installed after my wife complained her laptop was slow. I found that her laptop had a few Apple programs. From my experience, Apple software slows down Windows PC/laptop. So I un-installed these Apple programs. But it is still very slow.

I am my wife's computer technician. In the past, a run of ASC Pro would do the trick. In other words, running ASC Pro had improved her computer very noticeably. However, it does not help anymore....

Please install Pro Lasso (free) from Majorgeeks

and run.It will show ALL running processes in real time and allow you to isolate what is causing the slowdown.It is a Process Manager I thought was so good I bought the lifetime license (pretty cheap) and it updates often,prolly averaging once a week.The one from Majogeeks is the latest one but doesn't update.You have to check with Majorgeeks for the latest version.

I hope this helps you mate! :-)

-Cowboy

• 6 months later...

Optimize the system services by creating a profile with minimal no of services. Services are nothing but the background processes. There are some services which are not necessary. Such services should be stopped.

1. Press Windows Key + R.

2. Type "services.msc" in the Open textbox.

3. Click the OK button.

4. Right click a service you would like to terminate, and select Properties option.

5. Service Properties dialog will open.

6. Click the Stop button.

7. Select "Manual" from the "Startup Type" drop down box.

8. Click the OK button.

9. Do the same for all unnecessary services.

Use the Zombie Soft Fix. Select "computer runs slow" in the drop down box. Select the operating system from the subsequent drop down box. Follow the wizard.

Windows provides a way to optimize system settings for best performance. You can either customize Windows for best performance or best appearance. The former option should be selected as shown below:

1. Right click Computer desktop icon.

2. Select Properties.

3. Click "Advanced system settings" link.

4. Click the Advanced tab.

5. Click Settings under Performance frame.

6. Click the Visual Effects tab.

7. Select "Adjust for best performance" option.

8. Click OK | OK.

9. Restart your computer for the changes to take effects.

Archived