IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

How do you get rid of duplicate files?

Gotii

I have about 14 gig of duplicate files. How do I get rid of them. I tried painting the list, but that doesn't work. I can only delete one file at a time. It there a feature to send all files to the trash can or delete all at once. Thanks

Hi Gotii

It is extremely dangerous to delete all the duplicate files. They may be needed in recovery of the system, from malware,etc.. Do not even think about it. :-)

So, deleting one at a time will give you the chance to think if you are doing the right deletion.

I strongly doubt that the developers are going to put an option to delete all.

Cheers.

I have about 14 gig of duplicate files. How do I get rid of them. I tried painting the list, but that doesn't work. I can only delete one file at a time. It there a feature to send all files to the trash can or delete all at once. Thanks

Only delete the ones with numbers at the end of the name of that file that are in squared parentheses. That automatically tells you that the system has, already recognized the existence of the original file within the overall database stored onto your main hard-drive(ei: picture.dll(1) or picture(1).dll). These numbers can grow up to 5 and more if, the copying of this file is persistent. That problem no longer happen too oftenly under a Vista O.S. configured systems but, could still happen later on in time. Give or take a few years from now.

:wink:

Dupe Files

I agree in respect to deletion of duplicate files (have had BAD experiences)-if you would like a good look at your dupe files, download a free 30 day trial of Glary Utilities (from Grisoft)-sorry, do not yet know how to build a link in my post for you to access their site(perhaps one of our knowledgeable members will read this and take pity on me) best of luck and keep reading-the education is FREE-great day and God bless

Hi detailer

I usually go to the site in question - copy the address and insert it in the post I am responding to.

Bless you too

solbjerg

I agree in respect to deletion of duplicate files (have had BAD experiences)-if you would like a good look at your dupe files, download a free 30 day trial of Glary Utilities (from Grisoft)-sorry, do not yet know how to build a link in my post for you to access their site(perhaps one of our knowledgeable members will read this and take pity on me) best of luck and keep reading-the education is FREE-great day and God bless

Hi sunny

You are absolutely right! One has to know what one is doing, and delete the duplicates one by by one, - that way you can also bring the deleted item(s) back if the deletion causes trouble.

Best advice - be very, very careful.

Cheers

solbjerg

i never touch programs that offer to delete duplicate files, as past experience has led to a disaster every time.

• 10 months later...

Delete Duplicate Files

Deleting all files at a time may leads to a problem if u delete sum important files.use a programme that can alow you to find duplicate file NAMES duplicate files with identical CONTENT (i.e. if you renamed a file from picture.jpg to picture1.jpg, but they were copies of the same picture, they would be listed as duplicates), depending on the options you choose.

Download Free : duplicate-finder

• 1 month later...
Hi Gotii

It is extremely dangerous to delete all the duplicate files. They may be needed in recovery of the system, from malware,etc.. Do not even think about it. :-)

So, deleting one at a time will give you the chance to think if you are doing the right deletion.

I strongly doubt that the developers are going to put an option to delete all.

Cheers.

There are number of softwares available in the market, to delete duplicate files from the hard drives so you can choose any one which is affortable and easy to use and should be accurate, i am using duplicate finder 2009 take a look at this too..

jean3167,

In your first post ever in this forum you are giving a link to a paid software.

Duplicate deleting utility exists in ASC, so we are not after softwares for that function at here.

This will be your first and last post if you give links as such.

I am contented with de-linking it only for this time.

Have a great day.

Right enoskype

I just want to add that the warning against using cloned/duplicate files finders mindlessly (deleting everything in sight) is extremely dangerous regardless of what program you use.

They (the applications - cloned/duplicate files finders) are a nice help in finding the duplicates and you can then start deleting them one by one after you have made sure that you do not need that particular cloned/duplicate file.

This subject has been up several times and the warning is still very much valid!!

Thank you

Cheers

solbjerg

jean3167,

In your first post ever in this forum you are giving a link to a paid software.

Duplicate deleting utility exists in ASC, so we are not after softwares for that function at here.

This will be your first and last post if you give links as such.

I am contented with de-linking it only for this time.

Have a great day.

Hi

Tune up utilities can clean the hard disk if you wish try it and the trila mode will tell you how much of unecessary files you have. Other than that try clone spy and choose delete the older files!

http: //www.clonespy.com/

Auslogics Duplicate File Finder

http: //www.auslogics.com/en/software/duplicate-file-finder

Duplicate Cleaner

http: //www.digitalvolcano.co.uk/content/duplicate-cleaner/downloaddcmenu

http: //www.duplicatefilecleaner.com/

Beware some files are necessary to function the windows.

Hi ha

Please bear in mind that you are also addressing computer rookies.

Therefore the warning about the way to use those applications are the most important information in this thread!!

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi

Tune up utilities can clean the hard disk if you wish try it and the trila mode will tell you how much of unecessary files you have. Other than that try clone spy and choose delete the older files!

http: //www.clonespy.com/

Auslogics Duplicate File Finder

http: //www.auslogics.com/en/software/duplicate-file-finder

Duplicate Cleaner

http: //wwwcleaner/downloaddcmenu.digitalvolcano.co.uk/content/duplicate-

http: //www.duplicatefilecleaner.com/

Beware some files are necessary to function the windows.

hi all

even the perfect program for locating dublicate files will mislead you.

Deleting dublicating files would cause you more trouble than benefit.

sometimes indicated files are not duplicates or are dublicates in purpose.

u delete dublicates only if u are 100% sure the surplus is not necessary.

cheers

Absolutely

People,do yourself a big favor-leave the clone (duplicate) files alone.Though the number may appear large,it probably represents next to nothing in terms of space on your hard drive.Take it from the King of re installation due to compulsive cleaning habits-just sweep these under the rug.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi to all,

There is a tool in ASC 3 to delete the dublicate/clone files, but it is extremely dangerous to delete all the duplicate files. They may be needed in recovery of the system, from malware,etc.. Do not even think about it. :smile:

Cheers.

I found a way to clear out the duplicates from the database. At least the duplicates that are orphans.

I found that when you select a large group of songs, view info and change information, the orphans don't change, but get marked as orphans. You can't sort by orphans and I haven't found any way to select for them directly. But there is a way to select them.

I filter by a genre like Rock, view info, then change Rock to Rock2. Now if there are several hundred songs, this takes a minute or so, but it changes all the valid songs to Rock2 and they "fly away" because the filter is not sorting for that genre. Delete all the orphans left in that genre and then select Rock2 and change them all back to Rock.

I have removed over 3,000 duplicate/orphan files this way today from iTunes.

Thankfully, most of my duplicates are only duplicated in iTunes and are actually orphans, the real files have already been deleted.

• 7 months later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Archived