IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

System Optimization - what is "recommended", "1,0" etc.

iobitfae

Hi, I'm a totally new user to this software and I'm trying to optimise Windows for the first time.

When I've Diagnosed my system, I get messages like "103 problems found" next to the categories diagnosed. When I click the message, it takes me to a window (e.g. System Optimization) which has lists of the problems found, and all the boxes next to them are checked.

My question is: there's a column that says "Recommended". What does that mean? The values are "yes", [a number], N/A, Disabled, Manual, etc.

Does "yes" mean that the program recommends deleting that setting, or not deleting it?

Thanks for your help!

Hi iobitfae

Would you kindly provide a screenshot!

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi, I'm a totally new user to this software and I'm trying to optimise Windows for the first time.

When I've Diagnosed my system, I get messages like "103 problems found" next to the categories diagnosed. When I click the message, it takes me to a window (e.g. System Optimization) which has lists of the problems found, and all the boxes next to them are checked.

My question is: there's a column that says "Recommended". What does that mean? The values are "yes", [a number], N/A, Disabled, Manual, etc.

Does "yes" mean that the program recommends deleting that setting, or not deleting it?

Thanks for your help!

Settings

Hi iobitfae-Assuming you have the free version of ASC,you shouldn't get in too deep here.From "Troubleshooting",I would uncheck "explorer problems" and the second entry for"false system settings"(note:neither value has been defined here,so take a pass)In Network Connections,if you are a "stand alone",uncheck both references to LAN.As far as Windows Services,leave all checked as these are easily reversible from within your OS.I would like to see a screen shot of System Config. if there were any entries.Also,were there any entries for Windows Interface? If you are running the Pro version,adjust your "Computer Optimization" to "Daily Use(home user)"from the drop down menu under "System Optimization" Go ahead with a back-up,or verify a Win system restore point is available and let her rip!

more screenshots

Hi detailer,

Thanks for your help! I've attached the screenshots you asked for (I've also maximised the window so that more entries can be seen...duh, I know, I should have done that before).

I appreciate you telling me what I should leave checked or unchecked. I'm wondering though if there are any rules-of-thumb as to what problems we should or should not leave up to ASC's "intelligence" to sort out?

Oh, and I'm using the Pro version, from a pro license key promotion that lasts for 3 months. Does that make any difference? I set the "Computer Optimisation" to "Top Performance (Home User)" - is that more problematic? It just seems logical to me to try to optimise my system to as high a level as possible...

Rules of Thumb?-No

Hi Fae-You hit the nail on the head with "problematic"When you chose"TP Home User",you've proposed some wholesale changes to your OS.You don't need a baseball bat to kill a fly.First,you might want to reconsider that choice.Ask yourself "what do I use this PC for most of the time?"Then go to the drop down menu from Computer Optimization and note the descriptions of each setting.If you still prefer the HP setting then we have some data interpretation to work on.Here's where it gets a little dicey.As I mentioned previously,Win Services is no biggie-easily reversed.Win Interface is primarily visual effects and things of that nature-like taking a little icing off of your cake-fx.dragging the "full" window and so on.The minuscule amount of resources consumed here is negligible.Network Conn.results,taken line by line,are beyond my expertise-(no matter what it says next to my avatar)in this case,the auto function under Firefox/TCP Optimizer has served me well.Same goes for Sys Config.-The problem here is interpreting the values assigned to each line item.For instance,"N/A" seems to be everywhere-so if that value is not made known to us to begin with,how do we make an informed decision as to whether or not it should be changed? Fx.-I run a "Reg Fix" scan yielding @140 items recommended for repair,yet only five or so are actually defined,and the rest are,you guessed it-"N/A"!This problem continues with interpretation of the numbers "1"and"2"-do we know if "1" is no/disabled,with "2" being yes/enabled, or vice verse? When I look at these line items under all of the screen shots you provided,my certainty of each one is probably less than 50%.So,from here,either wait for someone from IObit or our "ace in the hole"-Enoskype to weigh in on interpreting your scan results.We also have some very sharp"junior"members(only juniors here,and more qualified than myself)that could provide some feedback.Also,you could take your screenshots to this forum(a very helpful group) or do what I do-go to Google.I know this can take hours,and you're working a three month time frame,but probably more time would be spent trying to correct a change that you made-especially if that one specific thing(that's now a problem) was changed along with fifty others at the same time! Where do you begin to look then?Last alternative if you are impatient-make your changes in small groups of five or six one category at a time.and take note of them-if you're not running 100% after a change,then you know to look back to a specific area.Sounds like a lot of work I know,but getting the right settings for your OS is important so you can take advantage of ASC's ability to be left on it's own to perform only the necessary repairs and tweaks in the future.Sorry it's not as simple as we wish it was.There really is no such thing as "one click" until you've built the click to your liking-Happy New Year!

Hi Iobitfae,

All written by detailer and IFP are valid, but please give us as much information as possible about your hardware, connection type and speed, usual usage of your PC, which browser is used most of the time, and most important of them all, what do you expect from the adjustments.

Unfortunately there is no one optimum configuration for all, it is a relative concept and there is no equally same PC!!!.

I will try to guide you, but you have to decide which options you are going to use as Computer Optimization first.

If you really are not after a specific type, I would suggest Daily Use(Home User) for versatility. (I, use that option on both of my personal laptops, XP Pro & Vista Ultimate)

Choose from the drop down menu and read carefully for decision.

Please give us the screen shots of whole 5 categories with the possibility of every line to be seen completely.

I belive, you would agree that suggestions will be different with respect to different types and it is not possible here to discuss them all.

There is also a very useful thread by Clayton and posts for Optimization. Please try to read all the posts, and post back here.

Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi zep

Every computer is different and every preference by users is different, consequently it is hard to be specific about what to ignore under "problems". Check all "problems" before clicking repair the few first times.

and exclude any you think you want or need from "repair" by placing them in the ignore list, which is accomplished by clicking ignore when right clicking an item.

But take a look in this thread to see the gist of it:

http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=1637

Cheers

solbjerg

I had similar questions about what to "fix" or not etc. and could not find a manual or anything really helpful in the FAQs. After reading the great responses below, I am fearful of even using it at all. It seems like I could really screw up my system if I just let Systemcare do its thing.

To avoid anyone having to rewrite everything for me and my system, is there a good resource for using this program? Or at least a clear list of settings etc. for each sort of user (ie: basic, home, gemer etc.), what to fix, what to leave alone and so on?

Thank you for any info/help :)

Z

Hi zep

The most important area to check the "problems" under is as you probably read "System Optimization".

When you click on "problems" there you will see some items, by reading what they are called you can guess what area they belong to and if they look like something you do not dare touch, you can exclude them from cleaning by clicking on each one and choose ignore, this will place them in the ignore list. Should you at a later time find out more about some of those, you can delete them from the ignore list and they will then show up in "problems" during scan, where you then let the "repair" fix the problem.

Rome wasn't build in a day - the carpenters and masons had to learn their trade first (often by trial and error) :-)

You can copy their name and do a search for example to see if you can find out what they are for - check it too in Help and support for example or copy the name and check it on the Internet to find out its function.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi solbjerg, thanks so much for responding.

I checked out the link you provided and read through everything. My problem though is that I do not always know enough to determine what needs repairing or not. It is tempting to just let it "fix" everything it says is wrong but that of course would not be good from what I am reading.

Perhaps this program is too advanced for me, I still want to find something to help clean things up a bit though. Any suggestions? Or else just another approach for using SystemCare?

Thanks again, Z

Archived