IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Should i delete cloned files?

Caution

I did a scan of cloned files and while the files have the same name the locations are different. How do i know if they need to be deleted?

Welcome to the forum jckinnick :smile:

I can't answer your question, I can only suggest extreme caution

If you are having problems that you think might be caused by cloned/duplicate files it would be best to investigate the matter further and fully before deleting anything.

If you are looking to free up some space then I think it would be best to look somewhere else.

Cloned files has been discussed many times, one discussion is Here

All the best, woz of oz

Hi jckinnick

Please read about "cloned files" in all the posts about them in the forum.

Find the posts by using "Advanced Search".

Recommandations also in Usage of IObit Products

(link in my signature)

The prudent way to use the cloned files finder is to find them and then check each and every one of them one by one and delete those you don't need.

The same file in two or more different directories, could be a backup and/or another address for the file that you like in that location too.

So best advice - TAKE CARE! Some of the double addresses may be necessary!!!

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. Hi woz - we answered in unison :-)

I did a scan of cloned files and while the files have the same name the locations are different. How do i know if they need to be deleted?

Welcome to the forum jckinnick :smile:

I can't answer your question, I can only suggest extreme caution

If you are having problems that you think might be caused by cloned/duplicate files it would be best to investigate the matter further and fully before deleting anything.

If you are looking to free up some space then I think it would be best to look somewhere else.

Cloned files has been discussed many times, one discussion is Here

All the best, woz of oz

Sorry i guess i should have searched the forum first. That thread had pretty much the same exact question i was asking. One thing i didn't check was the size of the files. It was a very large amount of files that were listed at least 100.

A lot of them were Google Earth plug ins for some reason. I don't even really use Google Eath very often.

Hi friend!

Hi friend!! My opinion is to forget duplicate files, but if they are really bugging you, this is the way I handle duplicate files. Down load and install this program; it's freeware. (Search Everything). Now just start typing some thing in the upper right corner. You will see in my screen shots that I have Major Geeks several times. I only need it once. If you had music or pictures in a lot of places, probably not needed either.I have found that if a file is only duplicated once, it is for a good reason and you need to leave it alone. Getting carried away and deleting duplicate files will cause you a lot of grief and gain you very little free disk space. If used wisely, it can be helpful. If used unwisely, it can cause you a reformat. Pictures and Music are both good places to remove duplicated files. Otherwise use extreme caution!!!==garybear

http://www.voidtools.com/

• 10 months later...
Hi friend!! My opinion is to forget duplicate files, but if they are really bugging you, this is the way I handle duplicate files. Down load and install this program; it's freeware. (Search Everything). Now just start typing some thing in the upper right corner. You will see in my screen shots that I have Major Geeks several times. I only need it once. If you had music or pictures in a lot of places, probably not needed either.I have found that if a file is only duplicated once, it is for a good reason and you need to leave it alone. Getting carried away and deleting duplicate files will cause you a lot of grief and gain you very little free disk space. If used wisely, it can be helpful. If used unwisely, it can cause you a reformat. Pictures and Music are both good places to remove duplicated files. Otherwise use extreme caution!!!==garybear

http://www.voidtools.com/

Thanks for the complete and thoroughly proper response to the query. I found it perfectly straight forward, and I will look for you on this the "threads" in the future.

Archived