IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

ASC 5.0 Beta 2 and Windows 8 Developer Preview

Buddahfan

I installed ASC 5.0 Beta 2 on my Windows 8 Developer Preview x32 computer.

It installed without W8 identifying any compatibility issues.

Ran a deep scan with all the boxes checked except Defragmentation (I use Smart Defrag8-)) and it appears to have worked. It found and cleaned items. No system crash so far. It found a lot of security issues.

One possible issue may be in the "Startup Optimization" module. I need to look further, however at a minimum it appears that the "Start Up Time" popup might not be working.

I will update as needed.

Again like in IMF I know I am way ahead of the curve on this8-)

I installed ASC 5.0 Beta 2 on my Windows 8 Developer Preview x32 computer.

It installed without W8 identifying any compatibility issues.

Ran a deep scan with all the boxes checked except Defragmentation (I use Smart Defrag8-)) and it appears to have worked. It found and cleaned items. No system crash so far. It found a lot of security issues.

One possible issue may be in the "Startup Optimization" module. I need to look further, however at a minimum it appears that the "Start Up Time" popup might not be working.

I will update as needed.

Again like in IMF I know I am way ahead of the curve on this8-)

The Start-Up popup works fine here :grin: ( Build 8102)

I will look a little closer for the start-up pop-up.

There is an issue that I have found that I think is related to W8 DP and how W8 handles "home" networking which may be different than W7. I am not sure about it but here is what happened.

I have three computers running on a small home network. Prior to installing W8 DP and even right after installing it I had no problem with any of the three computers seeing the other two and moving files back and forth, or reading files from a shared drive on one of the other two computers.

A few days after I installed W8 DP I found that I could no longer view all the computers in Windows Explorer under "Network" on two of the three computers. I don't recall which one could see all three. I traced the problem to five Windows Services which were disabled on the two desktops. I proceeded to enable them made sure that Sharing was turned on in the Control Panel - Networking and everything worked fine as before after I rebooted the two Desktops.

I then ran ASC 5.0 Beta 2 and Deep Scan and it showed a list of five items to be fixed under "System Optimization". I checked what they were and it turned out that they were all Network related. ASC wanted to disable them. So I decided to let ASC do its thing and disable them. After which that computer was no longer visible as a Network computer. I then changed the Services back to "Auto" enable and rebooted. All three computers could once again see each other. I reran ASC and and System Optimization wanted again to optimize the same five Network related services. I said no. Since then I have left System Optimization unchecked in ASC Deep Scan.

I have no idea why ASC thinks that turning off Network Services on a Networked computer will optimize the computer. Maybe it has something to do with Home Group and how that is set up. I don't know.

Again I posted this problem here as opposed to under ASC Beta 5.x because the problem did not start occurring until after I installed W8 DP on my Netbook which is on the Network.

http://forums.iobit.com/images/icons/icon14.gif Very good description!!! Buddahfan!!

Thanks!!

Cheers

solbjerg

I will look a little closer for the start-up pop-up.

There is an issue that I have found that I think is related to W8 DP and how W8 handles "home" networking which may be different than W7. I am not sure about it but here is what happened.

I have three computers running on a small home network. Prior to installing W8 DP and even right after installing it I had no problem with any of the three computers seeing the other two and moving files back and forth, or reading files from a shared drive on one of the other two computers.

A few days after I installed W8 DP I found that I could no longer view all the computers in Windows Explorer under "Network" on two of the three computers. I don't recall which one could see all three. I traced the problem to five Windows Services which were disabled on the two desktops. I proceeded to enable them made sure that Sharing was turned on in the Control Panel - Networking and everything worked fine as before after I rebooted the two Desktops.

I then ran ASC 5.0 Beta 2 and Deep Scan and it showed a list of five items to be fixed under "System Optimization". I checked what they were and it turned out that they were all Network related. ASC wanted to disable them. So I decided to let ASC do its thing and disable them. After which that computer was no longer visible as a Network computer. I then changed the Services back to "Auto" enable and rebooted. All three computers could once again see each other. I reran ASC and and System Optimization wanted again to optimize the same five Network related services. I said no. Since then I have left System Optimization unchecked in ASC Deep Scan.

I have no idea why ASC thinks that turning off Network Services on a Networked computer will optimize the computer. Maybe it has something to do with Home Group and how that is set up. I don't know.

Again I posted this problem here as opposed to under ASC Beta 5.x because the problem did not start occurring until after I installed W8 DP on my Netbook which is on the Network.

• 4 months later...

ASC's Arbitrarily Stopping Services is a BAD Decision

I think I had the same problem that Buddahfan had. A PC on the network running ASC PRO 5 would fall off the network. Restarting the computer would not bring it back.

My fix was:

1. Start / Run / services.msc
  2. Double-Click Server
  3. set Startup type to Automatic
  4. Stop / Start / OK

I agree that it is just plain wrong for ASC to just turn off services that are needed for common usage of the PC. We need this thing to solve problems not cause them.

I've been an advocate of using ASC to my friends. Now I'm starting to think a permanent Uninstall of ASC is in my future for all 6 of the machines I maintain.

Hi BCVolkert!

Please go through all the ASC settings and make sure your ASC is doing what you want it to!

There is a new version of ASC available if you wish to be current. After you install it you may be prompted for a file update... get that one too.

From your member profile:

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9480&d=1329015320

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

[Edit: Buddahfan was running the beta versions of W8 and ASC5 at the time]

ASC and SD have Serious Side-Effects that need to be Fixed

I'm running 5.1.0.196 now. I think there may be some misunderstanding about why folks like me started to rely on ASC and now feel very vulnerable.

I suspect that most of us run PCs to get things done in our lives. We have only a modest amount of interest, knowledge, or time to figure out which of the miriad of settings that ASC has are helpful and which are harmful.

To my way of thinking, ASC should take care of conficts and get rid of trash. But to go futher, and make value judgements about what is useful and then to act on those judgements without informing the user before that action is taken is somewhat irresposible and certainly insensitive to the damage that may be caused.

For several years, I have been pleased with ASC and Smart Defrag. Now, I find that I am needing to spend time, a lot of time, to identify where problems are coming from and undoing the damage.

ASC removed so much of SQL Server registry settings that I needed to completely reinstall Windows from scratch. That event cost me about a week and several hundred dollars in hardware that I needed to get my data off the thing prior to the reinstallation.

In the case of Smart Defrag, there was something about version 2.3 that caused a spontaneous restart everytime I touched the thing in any way. That was really hard to figure out and time consuming to get rid of. In the case of ASC, now I find that ActiveBoost is turning stuff off that I can't turn back on again without reinstalling it.

The users that use the machines I maintain are affected when their environment changes because of the changes ASC is making. I get the call, it takes quite a while to figure it all out and get things restored. Then, I find it coming unglued again because ASC is "fixing" stuff that is not broken. In effect, ASC has become my biggest problem and it is supposed to be the solution.

You may argue that there are switches to control things and that I need to know what I'm doing before I run these things. Unfortunatly, not knowing these things is a big part of why I was inclined to use either program in the first place. In the end, and we are definitely nearing the end, both ASC and SD are starting to cost me much more time, lost productivity, and percieved risk than they are likely to be saving me. In effect, I've been paying IOBit to ***** up my computing experience.

I really think that things have come off the rails for IOBit ever since ASC 5.0 and SD 2.3. Something has gone terribly wrong in the competence and judgement of the programmers. If it does not get back to something solid very soon, it will justifiably come to an abrupt end for IOBit.

I wish IOBit well. Unfortunately, unless they recognize this as a problem, the situation is likely to be terminal.

Hi BCVolkert

Your points have merit!

The decision makers at IObit probably have listened more to the clamor for more cleaning, and this inevitably leads to more settings that has to be set by users to get them precisely what they want.

How they are going to solve that conflict remains to be seen.

For the time being there is no way around configuring the settings to your own specifications.

Cheers

solbjerg

I'm running 5.1.0.196 now. I think there may be some misunderstanding about why folks like me started to rely on ASC and now feel very vulnerable.

I suspect that most of us run PCs to get things done in our lives. We have only a modest amount of interest, knowledge, or time to figure out which of the miriad of settings that ASC has are helpful and which are harmful.

To my way of thinking, ASC should take care of conficts and get rid of trash. But to go futher, and make value judgements about what is useful and then to act on those judgements without informing the user before that action is taken is somewhat irresposible and certainly insensitive to the damage that may be caused.

For several years, I have been pleased with ASC and Smart Defrag. Now, I find that I am needing to spend time, a lot of time, to identify where problems are coming from and undoing the damage.

ASC removed so much of SQL Server registry settings that I needed to completely reinstall Windows from scratch. That event cost me about a week and several hundred dollars in hardware that I needed to get my data off the thing prior to the reinstallation.

In the case of Smart Defrag, there was something about version 2.3 that caused a spontaneous restart everytime I touched the thing in any way. That was really hard to figure out and time consuming to get rid of. In the case of ASC, now I find that ActiveBoost is turning stuff off that I can't turn back on again without reinstalling it.

The users that use the machines I maintain are affected when their environment changes because of the changes ASC is making. I get the call, it takes quite a while to figure it all out and get things restored. Then, I find it coming unglued again because ASC is "fixing" stuff that is not broken. In effect, ASC has become my biggest problem and it is supposed to be the solution.

You may argue that there are switches to control things and that I need to know what I'm doing before I run these things. Unfortunatly, not knowing these things is a big part of why I was inclined to use either program in the first place. In the end, and we are definitely nearing the end, both ASC and SD are starting to cost me much more time, lost productivity, and percieved risk than they are likely to be saving me. In effect, I've been paying IOBit to ***** up my computing experience.

I really think that things have come off the rails for IOBit ever since ASC 5.0 and SD 2.3. Something has gone terribly wrong in the competence and judgement of the programmers. If it does not get back to something solid very soon, it will justifiably come to an abrupt end for IOBit.

I wish IOBit well. Unfortunately, unless they recognize this as a problem, the situation is likely to be terminal.

Hi BCVolkert,

We are terribly sorry for the troubles you have encountered, please accept our sincerest apologies.:oops:

We know that there are still some bugs in our programs, and we are trying our best to fix these bugs, we really hope that you can help us and we believe that we can work out the issue together.8:)

1) Have you used the rescue function of ASC after the network fails? If no, please have a try, then let us know rusult.

Open ASC 5>> click the button "Rescue" >>choose one restore point (note: please set restore point to the time before the problem occurred)>>click "undo"button

2) No matter it works or not, please send us the Log folder and Backup folder under the profile folder so that we can further look into the problem.

Usual path: %appdata%\IObit\Advanced SystemCare v5

Note: Please do not find the Log folder and Backup folder under the installation directory of ASC.

3) If the Rescue can not solve the issue, please enable the Sever service munually, then turn on the Turbo Boost and check whether the issue is reproduced or not.

Thanks in advance!!

Archived