IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Google Chrome browser blocked from network access after updating Advanced System Care 5, 9/29/2012

andylofgren

If I'm not mistaken, a couple days ago I selected the "Check for updates" option on my Advanced System Care 5, which may originally have been installed a few months ago. After updating and then running a few scans with the application, I am no longer able to access the internet with Google Chrome. Other browsers still work. When opening Google Chrome, a message appears suggesting that Google Chrome has been blocked from internet access or some such thing. I do not have the exact error message at this time.

In an attempt to resolve this failure I uninstalled and then attempted to reinstall, Google Chrome. Unfortunately however, whatever change (which appears to have been caused by Advanced System Care 5) that had prevented Google Chrome from accessing the internet, is also preventing the Google Chrome installer from downloading the components needed during the installation process, which results in the following installation error: "The installer could not connect to the Internet. Ensure that your computer is connected to the Internet and your firewall allows GoogleUpdate.exe to connect then try again."

In other words, some change caused by this 'Advanced System Care 5' application, which occurred after selecting the "Check for updates" option and then running a few scans, is preventing Google software from accessing the internet. Upon researching online, I found http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/JZdFXdMNskU which suggests going to your firewall settings and deleting and then re-adding Google Chrome on your application's safe list. Although I suspect that a solution in this instance might potentially involve something similar, it doesn't look like this 'Advanced System Care 5' offers anything of the sort. In other words, it looks like this application initiated a change which resulted in denying Google Chrome internet access, however no functionality within the application appears to allow correction of this problem. The problem remained after uninstalling 'Advanced System Care 5,' and is still here after reinstalling the application and rebooting.

For clarification, I had made no other system changes around when this disturbance became encountered; the only change was, downloading an update on 'Advanced System Care 5,' after which time Google Chrome has not worked since. Although I had previously used a Norton antivirus product (a few months ago,) it does not currently display in the system tray, I do not recall seeing it in the last few weeks (and definitely have made no changes there,) and therefore believe Norton likely has no relationship at all to this Google Chrome deficiency which appears to have been caused by 'Advanced System Care 5.'

Please offer your suggestions to resolve this failure, as Google Chrome is my preferred browser and nothing I have been able to do thus far, has had any success in resolving this recent failure, caused by an update downloaded by 'Advanced System Care 5.'

Hi andylofgren

Welcome to the Forum.

I suggest that you restore your system to the last date that Chrome was working, and see if that solves the problem. You can do this in ASC opening ASC, select Rescue and follow the instructions.

Please let us know if this resolves the problem.

Hi Andy

Did you in Privacy both Quick and Deep untick Chrome from being cleaned?

Cheers

solbjerg

If I'm not mistaken, a couple days ago I selected the "Check for updates" option on my Advanced System Care 5, which may originally have been installed a few months ago. After updating and then running a few scans with the application, I am no longer able to access the internet with Google Chrome. Other browsers still work. When opening Google Chrome, a message appears suggesting that Google Chrome has been blocked from internet access or some such thing. I do not have the exact error message at this time.

In an attempt to resolve this failure I uninstalled and then attempted to reinstall, Google Chrome. Unfortunately however, whatever change (which appears to have been caused by Advanced System Care 5) that had prevented Google Chrome from accessing the internet, is also preventing the Google Chrome installer from downloading the components needed during the installation process, which results in the following installation error: "The installer could not connect to the Internet. Ensure that your computer is connected to the Internet and your firewall allows GoogleUpdate.exe to connect then try again."

In other words, some change caused by this 'Advanced System Care 5' application, which occurred after selecting the "Check for updates" option and then running a few scans, is preventing Google software from accessing the internet. Upon researching online, I found http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/JZdFXdMNskU which suggests going to your firewall settings and deleting and then re-adding Google Chrome on your application's safe list. Although I suspect that a solution in this instance might potentially involve something similar, it doesn't look like this 'Advanced System Care 5' offers anything of the sort. In other words, it looks like this application initiated a change which resulted in denying Google Chrome internet access, however no functionality within the application appears to allow correction of this problem. The problem remained after uninstalling 'Advanced System Care 5,' and is still here after reinstalling the application and rebooting.

For clarification, I had made no other system changes around when this disturbance became encountered; the only change was, downloading an update on 'Advanced System Care 5,' after which time Google Chrome has not worked since. Although I had previously used a Norton antivirus product (a few months ago,) it does not currently display in the system tray, I do not recall seeing it in the last few weeks (and definitely have made no changes there,) and therefore believe Norton likely has no relationship at all to this Google Chrome deficiency which appears to have been caused by 'Advanced System Care 5.'

Please offer your suggestions to resolve this failure, as Google Chrome is my preferred browser and nothing I have been able to do thus far, has had any success in resolving this recent failure, caused by an update downloaded by 'Advanced System Care 5.'

Hi andylofgren

Welcome to the Forum.

I suggest that you restore your system to the last date that Chrome was working, and see if that solves the problem. You can do this in ASC opening ASC, select Rescue and follow the instructions.

Please let us know if this resolves the problem.

The "Restore to Windows default" function within the rescue section, did not resolve the problem. I am now trying System Restore.

Hi Andy

Did you configure privacy in both Quick Care, Deep care and in the automatic functions. Do you run the automatick functions?

p.s. Please if you want to use Times new roman could you select size 3 instead for me, as I have trouble reading size 2

Cheers

solbjerg

I unchecked the "Privacy" category, as I did not wish for any of my history or bookmarks to be deleted, and I therefore did not use this function.

For clarification I ran most of the automatic functions, however again I did not select the "Privacy" category in either the "Quick Care" or "Deep Care" sections. I did not utilize the "Privacy" functionality to any extent at all. I ran most all automatic functions other than those of the "Privacy" category.

I attempted System Restore twice, each time selecting a different restore point, and both attempts failed to the error:

"Restoration Incomplete

Your computer cannot be restored to

No changes have been made to your computer.

To choose another restore point, restart System Restore."

Unfortunately, I am afraid that System Restore is not providing any solutions. An attempt to reinstall Google Chrome still fails with the error "The installer could not connect to the Internet. Ensure that your computer is connected to the Internet and your firewall allows GoogleUpdate.exe to connect then try again."

Google Chrome is my preferred browser, and I would like to be able to use it. Additionally, when trying to install Google's debug tool 'Sawbuck,' (http://support.google.com/installer/bin/request.py?contact_type=unknown_error) the following installation error is encountered: "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance." It seems as though anything related to Google now, is not working properly and / or cannot be installed.

I have completed this procedure, with the exception of deleting the 'Chrome' folder, as I would first like to back it up; however, I encounter an error when trying to copy it to an external drive (this is XP, not 7.) Perhaps you can tell me, what is the XCopy command to copy this single folder (with all attributes,) to an external drive? Now (presumably,) this failure which is currently precluding me from reinstalling Google Chrome should, hopefully be resolved upon my deletion of this 'Chrome' folder, right? Perhaps we shall see... I am able to say however that as of this moment, and having done everything prior to that, that I am still (as of now,) unable to reinstall Chrome.

Hi Andy

Thanks for increasing the size - much easier for me to read!!

Ok, so you are saying that Privacy in this picture by you was unticked too?

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10522&stc=1&d=1349132474

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. You could try to do a seach for Chrome and if the search finds anything I would right click the item and select Uninstall - in the advanced mode with Revo Uninstaller and remove all it finds. Then check again if it can find anything.

Try to Restart the computer without IMF or ASC running at startup and try to download Chrome again. (IMF at least protects against changes.)

For clarification I ran most of the automatic functions, however again I did not select the "Privacy" category in either the "Quick Care" or "Deep Care" sections. I did not utilize the "Privacy" functionality to any extent at all. I ran most all automatic functions other than those of the "Privacy" category.

I attempted System Restore twice, each time selecting a different restore point, and both attempts failed to the error:

"Restoration Incomplete

Your computer cannot be restored to

No changes have been made to your computer.

To choose another restore point, restart System Restore."

Unfortunately, I am afraid that System Restore is not providing any solutions. An attempt to reinstall Google Chrome still fails with the error "The installer could not connect to the Internet. Ensure that your computer is connected to the Internet and your firewall allows GoogleUpdate.exe to connect then try again."

Google Chrome is my preferred browser, and I would like to be able to use it. Additionally, when trying to install Google's debug tool 'Sawbuck,' (http://support.google.com/installer/bin/request.py?contact_type=unknown_error) the following installation error is encountered: "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance." It seems as though anything related to Google now, is not working properly and / or cannot be installed.

I have completed this procedure, with the exception of deleting the 'Chrome' folder, as I would first like to back it up; however, I encounter an error when trying to copy it to an external drive (this is XP, not 7.) Perhaps you can tell me, what is the XCopy command to copy this single folder (with all attributes,) to an external drive? Now (presumably,) this failure which is currently precluding me from reinstalling Google Chrome should, hopefully be resolved upon my deletion of this 'Chrome' folder, right? Perhaps we shall see... I am able to say however that as of this moment, and having done everything prior to that, that I am still (as of now,) unable to reinstall Chrome.

andylofgren

There is no need to make the copying of the file dificult, with xcopy. If the Folder is refusing to copy, the reason is either, that it is being seen as though it is in use, or it is an attribute protected folder.

Do not worry about copying it with all its attributes, as XP will see it and its attribute regardless.

So, ensure that all applications which may access the folder are closed. Remember that any of the files within the folder could be active and this will prevent the folder from copying.

Open windows explorer. Right click on the folder and click copy. Scroll down to your external drive and right click on the folder you wish to place the copy into, and then click paste. If it refuses to copy, note the message which pops up and post the info to us. This will allow us to determine the way to resolve the issue.

If you wish to try the xcopy, then look at this link as there are different command structure for different OS's.

I agree that as you said, that once the folder is removed that you will be able to install Chrome.

logs and IMF

Hi Andy,

2 things

1)

can you copy/post the log dated 29th, see Solbjerg GUI in previous post, this may shed some light on the problem.

2)

Are you using Iobit malware fighter, if so it might be are old friend

the registry change allower.

Roy

Hi andylofgren.

Your problem is unfortunate.:-(

I am curious if you have limited the system restore function. When you attempted to restore you obviously were presented with a list of restore points... and then they failed.

Earlier in the thread I saw an advisement to remove remnants of Google Chrome... did you do this?

Have you discovered any other functionality issues with your system other than this? (There is a possibility of registry damage)

What is the browser you are using to attempt to download and install Chrome?

Have you tried choosing or creating a different download location for Chrome?

Are you using the same download location for Chrome?

Sorry so many questions... this is most curious and previously unreported.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Sorry, this forum did not permit me to provide you with the error log.

Hi Andy,

2 things

1)

can you copy/post the log dated 29th, see Solbjerg GUI in previous post, this may shed some light on the problem.

2)

Are you using Iobit malware fighter, if so it might be are old friend

the registry change allower.

Roy

I would have liked to have posted the logs for you here as you requested, however this forum has an extremely small attachment size limitation, and although the log file is only 537KB in size, posting this for you here is apparently too much to ask of this forum. I did send the logs to the IObit support address, but have not heard anything back in this regard.

Is IObit malware fighter a component of Advanced System Care 5, such that I might have used it in the course of performing the ordinary scans with the application, or is it something different? I don't know much about this, and do not know how it might be relevant to the problem I am experiencing.

I have attached a screen shot of the upload error I encountered with this forum here, and thought I might note that this was about as much of the screen as I was able to post here, due to the extremely small attachment size limitations.

This forum must be operating on an extremely short budget, if it can't afford to allow a 537KB error log attachment?

Hi andylofgren,

I have temporarily deleted your post, because there are many e-mail addresses including yours in it, which can be harvested by spammers.

Also, please do not post private communication with IObit without IObit's consent.

First get the permission from the persons you have communicated, then if they say OK, you can post. (Without e-mail addresses.)

Cheers.

NOTE: I have also moved your other post as a thread to other softwares section in Lounge, as the content is not related to the discussion here and it can get more attention from other users of the forum with it's own title.

logs

Hi Andy,

Had a quick browse at your logs,

the last log (6K) i think holds the clue, its deleting chrome registry entries,

what settings did you use for the registry clean up

from this i suspect someone more learned with provide you with an answer.

Please could you update your user CP,

you seem to be running Norton and Comodo,

there are a number of recent log entries for them.

I also think you should look at the Malware removal section am i infected guidelines. there was a major infection on your pc previously.

Roy

Communications to IObit support, regarding this failure:

Some additional, and perhaps quite relevant information relating to this failure was not posted in this thread, but rather resided in email communications sent to the IObit support team. The following are messages I sent, the content of the communications received (from IObit,) have been removed at their indication.

A member of the IObit support staff recommended following the procedure at http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/chrome/y0mKhxiR8wU/5a15RAm-zKoJ.

My reply, Wednesday, October 10, 2012 4:35 AM:

I did so, I downloaded the installer file ChromeStandaloneSetup.exe, a 29.2 MB file and began installation. A message appeared "Google Chrome installer is initializing. Please wait." Then "Connecting to the internet," followed by "Waiting to download Google Chrome," followed by "The download failed."

I appreciate your gesture, however this failure encountered unfortunately still is not yet resolved. Also, upon trying to install other browsers from CNet a similar failure is encountered (See screen shot 3.) Most browsers available on CNet have an initial, small installer file which, once downloaded and selected begins to download the remaining components. One or two however, downloaded the entire browser in one instance, instead of the aforementioned two step process. One of these was a browser called 'Maxthon 3.' Although successfully installed, the browser itself seems unable to access the internet, and every attempt to load a page (such as http://google.com) fails to the error "Access Denied" (see screen shot 4.)

Communication to IObit support staff, 11 October 2012 08:37, Andy Lofgren wrote:

I am sorry to say, that your "Advanced System Care 5" application has been extremely problematic. Not only has it caused a serious problem with my Windows XP operating system, it appears that your "Advanced System Care 5" application may also have derailed the one hope I may have had, to get this problem straightened out.

I was unable to use the System Restore functionality, due to insufficient free disk space (my drive had only about 150 MB free or so.) I right-clicked the C: drive and selected "Disk Clean," perhaps naively thinking this was just going to activate the ordinary "Disk Cleanup" function, or perhaps an identical process. In the course of "cleaning" my disk, it looks like your "Advanced System Care 5" application decided to create some extra disk space by removing the backup data associated with System Restore. Now, thanks to your "Advanced System Care 5" seemingly extending me the "courtesy" of some extra disk space at the expense of my System Restore functionality, the original reason for which I ran this "Disk Clean" operation to begin with is now defeated. Thanks "Advanced System Care 5," for extending me this courtesy.

So, what do you have to say about your "Advanced System Care 5" removing my restore points as part of its "Disk Clean" operation? This is quite troubling. Now, System Restore indicates that "There currently are no restore points available." What do you have to say about this? Might it be possible to recover this System Restore data, which appears to have been discarded by your "Disk Clean" operation? I of course, am in the unfortunate position of having been impacted negatively by your software, and would definitely appreciate a resolution should one be possible.

-Andy Lofgren

A member of the IObit support staff recommended uninstalling / reinstalling Google Chrome.

My reply to IObit, Thursday, October 11, 2012 1:31 AM:

Uninstalling and reinstalling Google Chrome was the very first course of action I attempted, when problems were first encountered. As indicated however, since uninstalling Google Chrome I have been unable to reinstall it. Google Chrome is not currently installed on my operating system. As indicated, it was my speculation that System Restore might present the only hope my operating system may have, to recover. Unfortunately however (as described earlier,) your "Disk Clean" function, courtesy of our "Advanced System Care 5" application, decided to eliminate all of my restore points. Is there a way to recover this System Restore data such that I may make use of this functionality, which our "Advanced System Care 5" so unfortunately, decided to eliminate?

Thank you for your suggestion here, but again I have already attempted a basic uninstall / reinstall. This failure seems to be relatively serious, and is affecting not just Google Chrome but also numerous other browsers as well. I had Comodo Dragon installed on my computer, and it was working yesterday; that is, until I downloaded and installed the updated version, and it is now unable to access the internet. Firefox, Chromium, Comodo, Maxthon, SlimBrowser and Sleipnir are all installed, but cannot access the internet. Numerous other browsers could not even be installed because they couldn't connect to the internet to download necessary components during the installation process. Internet Explorer, Lunascape and AOL are the only browsers I have installed, that are currently able to access the internet. Based on my recent experience with Comodo, I think it is likely these browsers could be affected as well, in the event they download an update.

What is the next course of action you recommend?

-Andy Lofgren

Hi Andy,

Had a quick browse at your logs,

the last log (6K) i think holds the clue, its deleting chrome registry entries,

what settings did you use for the registry clean up

from this i suspect someone more learned with provide you with an answer.

Please could you update your user CP,

you seem to be running Norton and Comodo,

there are a number of recent log entries for them.

I also think you should look at the Malware removal section am i infected guidelines. there was a major infection on your pc previously.

Roy

For the registry cleanup I used the preselected (default) settings, and I think all the boxes were likely checked. What is "user CP?" Is there any significance associated with Norton and Comodo? If the problem is with the registry, what is the solution for it?

I never ran XP, but have you checked the internet options in it to see if there is anything amiss there?

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

"Internet Options," from what I understand are directly applicable to Internet Explorer. Internet Explorer is able to access the internet on my laptop. Also I have not changed any "internet" settings, and this failure began after downloading an update to Advanced System Care 5, and then running a few scans.

Archived