IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Turboboost automatic settings blocking VPN [SOLVED]

srschacher

I am trying to use Turboboost to close unnecessary background tasks to speed up my computer, but it is automatically shutting down services that are required for IPSEC VPN authorization.

The 128bit PPTP protocol connects fine, but not the 256bit L2TP IPSec protocol.

When I turn off ALL options in either Work or Game mode, there are eight services that still get stopped. These services do not allow for users to choose to stop them. They are:

1. Diagnostic Policy Service

2. Function Discovery Provider Host

3. IKE and AuthIP IPsec Keying Modules

4. KtmRm for Distributed Transaction Coordinator

5. Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol Service

6. Telephony

7. Windows Time

8. WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service

I suspect that one or more of #3, #5, and #8 are the culprits stopping VPN from connecting when Turboboost is on.

It would be nice if you all can figure out how to keep VPN L2TP IPSec working when Turboboost is on.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi srschacher,

Please download the tool from http://testdemo.iobit.com/InfoHelper_20121228.exe

Then when you turn on Turbo Boost and encounter this error again, please double click to run this tool and click “Save report to Desktop”. So you will get zipped file ASC6_Info_File.zip on your desktop. Please send it to us so that we can get the detailed information to look into.

Thanks, Cicely.

Just to clarify, I'm not getting an error with Turboboost, I'm getting an error when I try to sign into an IPSec VPN after running Turboboost successfully. I noticed that Turboboost is stopping IPSec handling automatically, which is preventing the IPSec authentication from occurring.

Will running this program help you to track why these 8 modules are being stopped with no user check boxes to control them?

Steve

Hello Steve,

Are you using 'IPsec VPN' for local-network-security-Encryption?

Or some other purpose?

I've heard of it but not sure what it does and when or where it is Needed?

I thought it was needed only if your network was handling Top-Secret data, like at the FBI or CIA. :wink:

Thanks

Toppack,

I am using a VPN service called VyprVPN from Goldenfrog. It allows for encrypted connections through my ISP to an anonymous server farm, where the actual internet traffic flows. This prevents reverse DNS access to my ISP connection.

The basic service offers both PPTP and L2TP/IPSec encryption, the latter being the stronger. I'd like the ability to use either, but right now I can only use PPTP when running Turboboost because it is shutting down IPSec modules on its own, with no user ability to control this.

Melvin,

What am I supposed to be searching for? I did a search before posting this? The only hits on IPSec were in people's posting of their diagnostics.

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the very interesting information

and maybe the added info will help IObit support determine where the problem is.

I doubt that TurboBoost has ever been tested with that encryption service before?

It appears that would be a Great service to have, if you are using a Wireless Internet connection?

Personally I've never had the Nerve to go Wireless. I like that Router-firewall between me and the Big-Bad-Internet. :lol:

For those that do not know, See link for more Info:

http://www.goldenfrog.com/vyprvpn/windows

Hi srschacher... thanks! (my apologies)

I didn't realize how difficult it is to locate... but the thread is there, somewhere, I remember it. 8 - 12 months ago... I will continue to look.:shock:

Sincrely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Toppack,

I am using a VPN service called VyprVPN from Goldenfrog. It allows for encrypted connections through my ISP to an anonymous server farm, where the actual internet traffic flows. This prevents reverse DNS access to my ISP connection.

The basic service offers both PPTP and L2TP/IPSec encryption, the latter being the stronger. I'd like the ability to use either, but right now I can only use PPTP when running Turboboost because it is shutting down IPSec modules on its own, with no user ability to control this.

Melvin,

What am I supposed to be searching for? I did a search before posting this? The only hits on IPSec were in people's posting of their diagnostics.

Steve

Toppack,

Yes, VPN is useful when you're in a hotel or other public access internet. It creates a secure tunnel for you to use.

For wifi, it prevents sniffers from intercepting your traffic. However, 128bit encryption is easier to crack than 256bit for the determined hacker.

For wired internet connections, it's still useful for anonymizing your connection. If you try a diagnostic service like Gibson Research's (http://www.grc.com) Shields Up!, you can see what computer name the host site sees for you. With VyprVPN turned on, they can't see anything about your direct connection with the ISP. Again, there are the different levels of encryption to use.

Regarding Turboboost, it really doesn't have anything to do with whether Turboboost is tested with, or works with, IPSec. I already know that it works with PPTP. The issue is that Turboboost is shutting down the IPSec service on its own, and it is this action that is preventing its use. Unlike the other applications and services that Turboboost lets you configure to turn off, IPSec is being done automatically, and the user cannot override this choice.

One final point about Turboboost "working with" something... All Turboboost is doing is shutting down overhead processes. Once it completes, Turboboost is no longer doing anything. So, Turboboost is not directly interfering with the operation of IPSec, it's just automatically shutting it down.

I suppose I could manually restart it after Turboboost finishes. I'll have to trace where that is and see how to restart it.

Steve

Thanks, Cicely.

Just to clarify, I'm not getting an error with Turboboost, I'm getting an error when I try to sign into an IPSec VPN after running Turboboost successfully. I noticed that Turboboost is stopping IPSec handling automatically, which is preventing the IPSec authentication from occurring.

Will running this program help you to track why these 8 modules are being stopped with no user check boxes to control them?

Steve

Hi Steve,

As you said Turbo Boost stopped this service. So please send us the files requested when turbo boost on so that we can get the files to look into.

Hi srschacher,

Please try the procedure below.

Open TBGameconfig.ini @ folder:

XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\>UserName<\Application Data\IObit\Advanced SystemCare V6

Vista/7/8:

C:\Users\>UserName<\AppData\IObit\Advanced SystemCare V6

Add the bold strings below under relevant sections and save the file:

-------------------------------

[CheckedServices]

PolicyAgent=0

[CheckedServices_DisplayName]

PolicyAgent=IPSEC Services

-------------------------------

In the mean time, please check if the dependency Remote Procedure Call (RPC) sevice is started and running. It should be running!

If it is not running too, you can also add the bold strings below to the same file, ie. TBGameconfig.ini:

[CheckedServices]

RpcSs=0

[CheckedServices_DisplayName]

RpcSs=Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

-------------------------------------------

Run Game Booster and see if this solves your problem.

Cheers.

Thanks, Cicely.

I verified this morning that the service listed as #3 in my original post is the one that is needed. (IKE and AuthIP IPsec Keying Modules)

After running Turboboost, I went into the Services list and restarted the service. Then I connected to VyprVPN with L2TP/IPSec and it connected normally.

From the properties for the service, the service name is IKEEXT. The path to executable is C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

enoskype,

I will try what you suggest this evening when I get home from work.

Thanks for all your help.

Steve

enoskype,

You are the BEST!

I opened the TBGameconfig.ini file you mentioned, and I saw that there was an entry for IKEEXT=1, which is the service I traced as the one causing the problem.

I changed the flag to IKEEXT=0 and reran Turboboost, and now I can connect to VPN with IPSec.

My problem is solved.

Many thanks!!!

Steve

• 3 years later...

Hi, usually such applications force closes the applications or set them to manual which causes these problems. I think you should reach the problem by checking your application first to whitelist any services (if it allows), if the software application does not have such option then check the services option to see whether your stated services are disabled or set to manual. If you don't know here is a good example (http://computerstepbystep.com/ike_and_authip_ipsec_keying_modules_service.html).

However, I would suggest you to use more advanced protocols such as OpenVPN on (TCP, UDP) or OpenVPN on SSL ports. You can find a VPN from this site (http://www.vpnlogics.com/best-vpn-for-windows/) which will save hassles and in my view separate application might stop VPN services from being stopped unexpectedly.

Archived