IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Extremely slow scans since updating from ver4 to ver5

prflani

Hi prflani... welcome to Iobit forum!

You may have had a bad install of version 5.

Please try a clean install of version 5 using these guidelines:-> http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?p=39220#post39220 and http://forums.iobit.com/showpost.php?p=42228&postcount=10

The newest version of ASC can be found here:-> Advanced SystemCare 5 is Updated (5.0.0.158).

Let us know if this solves your issue!

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Hi prflani,

Normally speaking, it won't take such a long time to do the scan and repair.:shock: Please help us look into it.

1) How long the deep care would take when you use the ASC V4?

2) After you installed ASC V5, have you tried more times? Does it always take such a long time every time?

3) Please kindly help us confirm which modules usually take much time.:-?

• 2 weeks later...

Clean reload of ASC 5 and still very slow

Hi prflani,

Normally speaking, it won't take such a long time to do the scan and repair.:shock: Please help us look into it.

1) How long the deep care would take when you use the ASC V4?

2) After you installed ASC V5, have you tried more times? Does it always take such a long time every time?

3) Please kindly help us confirm which modules usually take much time.:-?

I've performed a clean reload of ASC 5 and the problem still persists. With version 4 a deepscan would take about 30 minutes. Now with ver 5, the process can take 6-8 hours and several more hours to "fix" problems identified, even if only privacy issues. I've found that my CPU is running at 100% when ASC is running and this drops to 5% or less when it is not. Using taskmanager, I see no untoward processes running. No malware is found and my Charter Security suite finds no viruses or other issues. I'm at a loss.

I've performed a clean reload of ASC 5 and the problem still persists. With version 4 a deepscan would take about 30 minutes. Now with ver 5, the process can take 6-8 hours and several more hours to "fix" problems identified, even if only privacy issues. I've found that my CPU is running at 100% when ASC is running and this drops to 5% or less when it is not. Using taskmanager, I see no untoward processes running. No malware is found and my Charter Security suite finds no viruses or other issues. I'm at a loss. Is the high CPU usage issue related to the slow performance?

Oh yeah...I removed ASC and Malware Fighter through the windows remove program utility. I then deleted the iobit directory and used CCleaner to cleanup the registry after deleting and prior to reinstalling ASC5. Times decreased slightly but CPU usage is still pegged out when ASC is running and we're still talking many hour to complete and scan and repair.

Oh yeah...I removed ASC and Malware Fighter through the windows remove program utility. I then deleted the iobit directory and used CCleaner to cleanup the registry after deleting and prior to reinstalling ASC5. Times decreased slightly but CPU usage is still pegged out when ASC is running and we're still talking many hour to complete and scan and repair.

Registry defrag

System Optimization

and Junk FIles Clean seem to be the slowest modules

Hi prflani

Have you found out why yet?

How filled up are your machine? How much free space? (in percentage please)

What settings do you use?

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. Some of the time during operation by me the memory usage reach around 60% during cleanup operation, the CPU usage goes to 100% about a third of the time during the cleanup especially during registry cleaning and junk file cleaning.

What setting have you chosen for CPU usage?

Registry defrag

System Optimization

and Junk FIles Clean seem to be the slowest modules

Not sure how to answer your questions. Yes, I am still having the problem. I started the a scan yesterday evening. It completed within about 3 hours and then I started the "repair". It proceeded somewhat okay and then seemed to really slow down when it reached junkfile cleanup. I went to bed and left it running. This morning, seven hours later, it had still not completed the junkfile cleanup, although some progress seemed to have been made and it was still indicating a new file being processed every few minutes. There are no other programs running when this occurs and my 75 GB hard drive is only about 50% full.

I did install Windows XP updates at around the time the problem first occurred. I now have this "indexing" thing going on. I never saw icons related to "indexing" prior to this. I wish I could get rid of the indexing cr*p. I have done a clean reinstall of ASC 5, a couple of times in fact, after installing the XP "updates". CPU continues to show 100% usage the entire time that ASC 5 is running.

Also, to clarify, I am not including any "defragging" in the ASC process. This adds many more hours to the process and my disc has been recently defragged using microsoft's defrag utility.

Welcome

Welcome to the forum prflani :smile:

....There are no other programs running when this occurs.....

Does that include your security software?

I don't know Charter Security Suite but I think it would be a good idea to see if it is monitoring and affecting Advanced SystemCare while it is scanning. This might not show up as anything 'special' in TaskManager just the 'normal' workings of Charter Security Suite.

For safety, disconnect from the internet.

Turn off Charter Security Suite completely (all features)

Run the Advanced SystemCare scan and see if it is quicker and less CPU.

If Charter Security Suite is not affecting Advanced SystemCare and there is no change then at least we can take Charter Security Suite out of the equation

....I did install Windows XP updates at around the time the problem first occurred.....

I installed the latest Windows XP updates this morning and after that an Advanced SystemCare Quick Scan took less than 2 minutes. I doubt the updates had an affect

....I now have this "indexing" thing going on. I never saw icons related to "indexing" prior to this. I wish I could get rid of the indexing cr*p.....

Do you mean the Windows XP Indexing Service, where do you see icons?

The Windows XP updates did not restart the Indexing Service on my computer (I disabled it long ago)

Have a look at Indexing Service @ BlackViper for an explanation and guide on how to disable it. Scroll down the page to Windows XP.

By the way:

If you want a great free Search function for Windows XP (NTFS only) that is fast and lite have a look at Everything search engine

Also for NTFS and external drives that are not NTFS have a look at the free Index Your Files (IYF)

It does create an index for each drive (very small DataBase) but unlike Windows Indexing Service it creates and updates the index when you want it to, not when it wants to.

All the best, woz of oz

stranger and stranger

I disconnected from the internet and disabled Charter Security Suite. Unfortunately, ASC 5 still runs very slow. I see no real difference.

Interestingly enough, I went to add/remove Windows components and found that the box next to Indexing Service was not checked. I continued through the add/remove process anyway, with the box left unchecked. Still, on startup, an icon for the indexing service appears in my Taskbar and Taskmanager shows that searchindexer.exe (10,880K) is still running. Prior to doing this add/remove process, a second searchindex related process had been showing up in Taskmanager. I don't recall now the exact name of that process, but it did have "index" in the name. The add/remove programs list shows that Windows Search 4.0 is installed. I did not uninstall it as I was not sure if it was exactly related to the Indexer.

After completing my lastest ASC 5 scan and fix, I found that there were still 1800 files in my Temporary Internet files folder and another 2100 similar junk files roughly equally distributed among four subfolders of the Temporary Internet Files\IE_5 folder under "all users". I deleted these. I would have thought that ASC should eliminate things like this in it's "Junkfile" elimination process.

Some Relief

Finally, I have found some relief. As I stated in my last post, I found a large number of files in my Temporary Internet Files folder. I continue to find, that after visiting only a few inocuous websites, that this folder is accumulating 2000 to 3000 or more files (highest I seen so far is just over 3700). If I delete these files prior to running ASC 5, the process goes much more quickly, completing in about 2 hours Further, if I disconnect my internet connection (and delete the files in the Temporary Internet Files folder) prior to starting the scan and repair, then the Deep scan and repair completes in less than an hour.

So, there appears to be two issues. First, why does my Temporary Internet Files folder keep accumulating large numbers of files? And second, why is ASC 5 faster when there is no internet connection? Is this last issue related to "updating"?

To answer your questions I would start eliminating possiblities,

by disabling 'auto update', etc.

Disable settings or utilities, except the ones in question, by removing check-marks,

and see how those changes effect time and results.

Each of the many utilities, that you have questions about, need to be tested in that way.

Running them in Manual mode, Not Auto-run!

I like to keep a written record of what changes I have made to the default settings,

this can eliminate confusion in the future.

Finally, I have found some relief. As I stated in my last post, I found a large number of files in my Temporary Internet Files folder. I continue to find, that after visiting only a few inocuous websites, that this folder is accumulating 2000 to 3000 or more files (highest I seen so far is just over 3700).....

It is strange that your Temporary Internet Files folder is filling up so quickly, I have been using the internet for about 4 hours now and have been to at least 15 different websites (doing research) and only have about 35 files in my Temporary Internet Files folder.

So, there appears to be two issues. First, why does my Temporary Internet Files folder keep accumulating large numbers of files? And second, why is ASC 5 faster when there is no internet connection? Is this last issue related to "updating"?

Could it be that something is adding to your Temporary Internet Files folder in the background (even if you are not using a browser) so then ASC can never complete the job of deleting the files. When you are disconnected from the internet then ASC can complete the job. I don't know if this is the answer, just "thinking out loud"

Have you done a full anti-virus/malware scan lately? If not, it would be a good idea to do a full scan I think.

....Interestingly enough, I went to add/remove Windows components and found that the box next to Indexing Service was not checked. I continued through the add/remove process anyway, with the box left unchecked. Still, on startup, an icon for the indexing service appears in my Taskbar and Taskmanager shows that searchindexer.exe (10,880K) is still running. Prior to doing this add/remove process, a second searchindex related process had been showing up in Taskmanager. I don't recall now the exact name of that process, but it did have "index" in the name. The add/remove programs list shows that Windows Search 4.0 is installed. I did not uninstall it as I was not sure if it was exactly related to the Indexer.....

If you want to permanently get rid of Indexer you can also do the following. I uninstalled via Control Panel that you did before and also did both these long ago and have seen no ill effects.

• My Computer

• Right click on the C drive and select Properties

• Un-tick Allow indexing service to index this disk for fast file searching

• Apply (This might take a while to complete depending on how many files you have on your drive)

• OK

You could then disable the Service if you want.

• Control Panel

• Administrative Tools

• Services

• Right click on Indexing Service

• Click on Stop if necessary

• Change Startup Type to Disabled

• Apply

• OK

All the best, woz of oz

Search

The Search in XP is horrid, you type in the Search query, click Search, then it takes so long to do the search. If you make a typo or misspell a word and get no results you have to go back to the beginning and try again.

Everything Search that I linked to in post# 9 very quickly lists all files and then the list grows shorter as you type the search query.

EG: Typing IObit will show all IObit software etc then continue to type Advanced would only show items related to IObit Advanced SystemCare

If you make a typo or misspell the Search query (EG: Adc) you can see it straight away and then Backspace and try again.

Items can be opened, launched and deleted using Everything Search.

It really is the 'bee's knees' :lol:

I think Win7 Search works like this also? If it does then this is probably why the author of Everything did not update it.

All the best, woz of oz

'Indexing' is Only used to speed up access to Often-used files on Drives,

Not sites or data on the Internet, correct?

I've never checked on exactly what 'Indexing' Does and what is included.

I enabled 'Indexing' on my wife's computer and she reported a slight Improvement during website developement, using W-7,

but I've never tested it myself.

Edit:

Ah, I found what you are reffering to:

http://lifehacker.com/031440/turn-off-indexing-and-speed-up-windows-xp

Going back to your previous post:

....With version 4 a deepscan would take about 30 minutes. Now with ver 5, the process can take 6-8 hours and several more hours to "fix" problems identified, even if only privacy issues.....

Even 30 minutes seems a long time to me, my Deep Scan takes 5 > 10 minutes.

What is the Capacity, Used Space and Free Space of your C drive (My Computer > Right click C > Properties)

Do you have Enable Secure File Deletion ticked, see image of my setup:

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9138&stc=1&d=1324524683

....I've found that my CPU is running at 100% when ASC is running and this drops to 5% or less when it is not.....

I am certainly not an expert on CPU but I have seen quite a few software use what looks like 100% CPU when it is available (computer at idle) but it 'releases' some of that CPU when Windows or other software needs it.

A more knowledgable member might be able to explain CPU usage for us.

....Have you done a full anti-virus/malware scan lately? If not, it would be a good idea to do a full scan I think.....

Sorry, I now see you previously mentioned that you did do scans

....No malware is found and my Charter Security suite finds no viruses or other issues.....

All the best, woz of oz

Archived