IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

USB plugs (including mouse) disabled after driver update

Hello,

I have always used IObit Driver Booster without trouble and I must say that it is a great utility.

However I experienced a serious problem right now.

DriverBooster said there were six drivers to upate, so I started the batch update.

It downloaded over 350Mb of drivers and started installing the first (which I can't recall as of writing).

The installation progress seemd to go fine, and I got a window saying that the installation for this driver was finished.

BUT... The mouse disappeared and I could do nothing. Not even some basic keyboard control on the IOBit window to terminate or continue.

Even worse: I restarted Windows, which performed some updates. But the mouse, a wireless Logitech M560, would no longer show.

I tried removing the small mouse transmitter which was plugged to the rear of my PC and put it on the USB plug next to the one where it used to be. No luck: no mouse, hardly any control on Windows 8.1.

I then tried a USB 2.0 plug on the top of the PC where I put the storage keys, and this time the mouse worked again.

In other words, I think that the update done by DriverBooster disabled (or crashed) a USB hub.

I find quite strange that the mouse disappears in such a way, and having two usb plugs supposedly disabled in the rear of my PC doesn't make me really happy.

I tried to see in the "up to date" section what was installed today but all entries are older than today.

Can someone tell me what happened precisely or how I can determine what DriverBooster changed (is there a log file ?)

Thanks,

David Winter

Hi david winter

Welcome to the forum.

The easiest and fastest way to solve your issue is to use the rollback feature in Driver Booster. There you can roll back the updated drivers to the previous versions which worked before you did the batch update. With everything back to normal you can then update the drivers one at a time until you find the offending driver. In fact by doing the update one at a time you will probably recognise the USB driver immediately.

You should then post the offending driver details here so that Iobit can investigate it, and other users can be aware of the issue.

You can also look at the log here...C:\Windows\Inf\setupapi.dev.log .... which may help.

I also recommend that you read the related posts in the Driver booster section of the forum, as issues similar to yours have already been posted there.

It has been recommended many times in the Forum to avoid batch install and opt for individual installs. This makes it much easier to identify a problem driver.

This article may also be of use.

Hi Scannan,

Thanks for your answers.

I checked the list of updated drivers but no entry has an installation date of Dec 8, 2015.

Several USB drivers were updated but all were updated in October or earlier, and some are supposedly installed before I even bought the PC, which brings a question: how relevant are those dates and what do they correspond to ?

I also tried checking the setupapi.dev.log. There are two of these, both dated June 25, 2015.

However, I'm attaching a picture showing several usb files updated yesterday when I got the problem.

Maybe somebody can tell me where to check from these files ?

Firstly, the attached image is too small and cannot be read.

The dates given for the drivers are usually the creation dates rather than the installation dates, which can cause confusion. I do not think you should get bogged down trying to find logs etc...

Did you follow the Rollback suggestion and if so is your system now working normally.

As I said previously you can identify the faulty driver by updating the drivers one at a time. Also the Driver Booster list of drivers to update will probably immediately show you the USB driver.

Hi Scannan,

Thanks for your answers.

I checked the list of updated drivers but no entry has an installation date of Dec 8, 2015.

Several USB drivers were updated but all were updated in October or earlier, and some are supposedly installed before I even bought the PC, which brings a question: how relevant are those dates and what do they correspond to ?

I also tried checking the setupapi.dev.log. There are two of these, both dated June 25, 2015.

However, I'm attaching a picture showing several usb files updated yesterday when I got the problem.

Maybe somebody can tell me where to check from these files ?

Hi Dav,

Please download http://www.cd4o.com/drivers/debug/DBInfoHelper.exe, >> double click to run this tool >> click “Save report to Desktop” >> find db_info_xxx_i.zip on your desktop >> send us the zip file to dbfeedback@iobit.com with your post link.

We will check it asap. Thanks a lot.

Archived