IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Microsoft Drops the Hammer on Coercive Registry Cleaners & System Optimizers

Buddahfan

When you install Driver Booster or install an update Driver Booster will check for driver updates and update those that need an update. That is good. However, after all the updates have been installed Driver Booster will take you to a UI page that Microsoft refers to as one that exhibits "coercive behavior" That is, the UI offers options to clean your computer but to make the recommended fixes you need to download Advanced System Care which you then must purchase to perform all recommended cleanings.

Microsoft Drops the Hammer on Coercive Registry Cleaners & System Optimizers https://is.gd/84nPW0

Microsoft Drops the Hammer on Coercive Registry Cleaners & System Optimizers

Hi Buddahfan,

A very good attention to IObit!

Although I don't think most of IObit software may not be put into this category (certainly not CCleaner as mentioned in the comment there), IObit should be very careful not to go to the other side of the border choosing the algorithm of the wording when warning users.

Once a program is flagged by MS, it will a death certificate for that program and reverting back 100% will be extremely difficult. :-(

Not much time left (1 month) to go through all their programs.

Thanks for the heads up!

Cheers.

With only a month to become compliant, this is going to be a major FUBAR for a lot of companies. I will say as someone who has downloaded and tested a lot these types of programs over the years this is a long time coming. I've had to clean a lot of friend and family computers as result fear mongering and a lack of knowledge.

I sincerely believe that the most coercive component of all this is Microsoft. They have simply awarded themselves godlike powers and decided that even though people have paid for their computers that Microsoft still own them. I find the whole thing absolutely disgraceful, and it is very sad that our political representatives turn a blind eye to this attitude and behaviour.

Microsoft should at the most pop up a warning that it considers a program to be coercive and make recommendations to the user as to what action could be taken. Microsoft certainly should not have the right to arbitrarily decide to remove a program from your machine without the users permission which I believe is a breach of privacy and a breach of consumers rights.

I sincerely hope that some method is found to curb Microsofts big brother modus operandum and that the operation of peoples private computers will be placed firmly back in the users control.

Archived