IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

What 2 things did Driver Booster just install on my PC regarding Ransomeware??!

Immaculens

Driver Booster popped up on my screen and said to click "Fix" to prevent vulnerabilities for ransomeware -

1. Update Windows Firewall Rules

2. Fix Windows Vulnerabilities

What did it do to my PC and what did it download? It took almost 10 minutes to download

Hi Immaculens,

1. Turn on your Windows Firewall and set a new rule to your 445 Port.

Steps for Window 10 users: click here

Steps for Windows 7 users: click here

2. Update the Windows Patch: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS17-010

It will fix the vulnerabilities on your PC whether you are using Windows 10, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, or Windows Server 2008 R2. you may go to the Microsoft Page to download the latest one:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/MS17-010

Please have a look at the following IObit web page :

http://www.iobit.com/en/tips-how-to-...g-80.php?p=imf

Cheers.

The WannaCry fixer from IOBit did what is described above to my machine, and now the file sharing I had going between my 3 home PCs no longer works. And I really do need that to work, or spend my time running up and down 2 flights of stairs with an external disk drive! How do I get file sharing working again without port 445 and SMB 1.0? This has created its own emergency in my household!!! (Denial of services without North Korean help).

Thank-you for your reply and information. Letting your customers know what was being downloaded at the time would be appropriate.

Hi Immaculens,

1. Turn on your Windows Firewall and set a new rule to your 445 Port.

Steps for Window 10 users: click here

Steps for Windows 7 users: click here

2. Update the Windows Patch: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS17-010

It will fix the vulnerabilities on your PC whether you are using Windows 10, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, or Windows Server 2008 R2. you may go to the Microsoft Page to download the latest one:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/MS17-010

Please have a look at the following IObit web page :

http://www.iobit.com/en/tips-how-to-...g-80.php?p=imf

Cheers.

The WannaCry fixer from IOBit did what is described above to my machine, and now the file sharing I had going between my 3 home PCs no longer works. And I really do need that to work, or spend my time running up and down 2 flights of stairs with an external disk drive! How do I get file sharing working again without port 445 and SMB 1.0? This has created its own emergency in my household!!! (Denial of services without North Korean help).

The easiest solution for you is to do a system restore back to a time before the WannaCry fixer was installed. However this will mean that the windows vulnerability will be present. A good malware/antivirus with Realtime Protection will protect you.

Please see THIS article regarding the windows vulnerability. As it shows....the disabling of SMBv1 can cause issues with some applications and interconnectivity.

My husband and I worked on this. We turned off SMB 1.0, but enabled SMB 2.0. I'd like to just have SMB 3.0 running, but it wasn't as clear how to do that. And then I opened port 445 for PRIVATE incoming traffic only. I only want the file sharing to work on our internal home network. It doesn't need to go outside that, not to a domain network, not to a public netwrok. That seems to do it. That's not as absolute as what the fixer did, but it keeps me from wearing out the SneakerNet connection. And, yes, I've got a couple layers of malware/ anti-virus protection too.

The real fix for this is going to have to come from Microsoft.

Reading the ZDnet article ("Please see THIS article..".), I'll revisit this once I get all my machines updated to the Windows 10 "Creators Edition". The article suggests that THAT upgrade may upgrade the SMB1.0 protocol currently underlying the file sharing service.

Hl Immaculens,

I do agree with you, but may I remind again that I am not from IObit!

I have only noticed the details link on the IMF popup window and followed the link before taking the action.

In summary, I did not know it before the popup window.:-)

Cheers.

Archived