IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Spam

dremth

I had been using Smart Defrag 2 for quite a while and I recommended it to several of my friends. However, as of today, I will be uninstalling it, never purchasing an Iobit product, and advising everyone I know to do the same.

Smart Defrag downloaded and ran a program that I had no knowledge of, and then it proceeded to pop up dialogs telling me about unsolicited Iobit "holiday deals."

This is UNACCEPTABLE.

I've read the other thread(s) about this, and I want you to know that it does not matter how much you want us to know about your special deals, whether anybody at Iobit genuinely cares or not. Sure, you can pass this "suggestion" on to your product team, but the fact is: somebody knew the implications of what they were doing when this spam was programmed into your applications. This was by no means an oversight or an accident.

By definition, your applications are now adware, and I will be treating them as such.

Well....

I had been using Smart Defrag 2 for quite a while and I recommended it to several of my friends. However, as of today, I will be uninstalling it, never purchasing an Iobit product, and advising everyone I know to do the same.

Smart Defrag downloaded and ran a program that I had no knowledge of, and then it proceeded to pop up dialogs telling me about unsolicited Iobit "holiday deals."

This is UNACCEPTABLE.

I've read the other thread(s) about this, and I want you to know that it does not matter how much you want us to know about your special deals, whether anybody at Iobit genuinely cares or not. Sure, you can pass this "suggestion" on to your product team, but the fact is: somebody knew the implications of what they were doing when this spam was programmed into your applications. This was by no means an oversight or an accident.

By definition, your applications are now adware, and I will be treating them as such.

I feel sorry for you mate.It is so EASY to opt out if you were paying attention during install.CNET,Softpedia,etc ALL and more do this as a norm.

IObit software is the best developed software on the market. :-)

Pity you are having a bad day! Cheer up! :lol:

-Cowboy

I feel sorry for you mate.It is so EASY to opt out if you were paying attention during install.CNET,Softpedia,etc ALL and more do this as a norm.

IObit software is the best developed software on the market. :-)

Pity you are having a bad day! Cheer up! :lol:

-Cowboy

I'm not one to breeze through installers. The Smart Defrag 2 installer did not have any option to opt out of adware type behavior. It had an option to opt out of some kind of toolbar and putting Iobit into my bookmarks, both of which I declined. This cannot be blamed on the user. It is still Iobit's misdoing.

Hi dremth,

Thanks for your feedback.

I have reported your concerns to our product team. We just want to celebrate the holidays with these big discounts. We are sorry, if these holiday deals disturbed you.

We will take more into consideration and make improvements in the future.

Do you have any good ideas to help users know the big deals they might be interested in?:-D

Hi dremth,

Thanks for your feedback.

I have reported your concerns to our product team. We just want to celebrate the holidays with these big discounts. We are sorry, if these holiday deals disturbed you.

We will take more into consideration and make improvements in the future.

Do you have any good ideas to help users know the big deals they might be interested in?:-D

Both of Scannan's suggestions are good. Or you could even just email us like most other companies do. Downloading and running an executable file without user permission is not only more annoying than a link or an email, but it also poses a huge security risk, not to mention it could be deceiving to users that are not so good with computers. They might think it's something their operating system is telling them, and so they need to buy it, which is classic adware behavior.

Hi Scannan,

Thanks for your suggestion. It sounds good and I will report it to our product team for consideration.

@all, thanks for your understanding. IObit will continue to make improvements according to your feedbacks.:wink:

As i have said be for using Cnet is a bad idea they will take your program and use it as a spammer program you guys need to stop using Cnet.com and go with majorgeeks or filehippo.com.I have not used Cnet in over 15 years for this reason.

As i have said be for using Cnet is a bad idea they will take your program and use it as a spammer program you guys need to stop using Cnet.com and go with majorgeeks or filehippo.com.I have not used Cnet in over 15 years for this reason.

Downloads from cnet.com not contain dangerous viruses but contain potentially unwanted applications, adware, potentially dangerous applications.

Indeed it is not recommended to download programs from CNET.It would be best that IObit products can be downloaded direct from the official site.

I too am jumping in on this discussion because I don't believe IObit is "getting it". This gaff was not simply a feature change gone wrong, it was an unwarranted, greed-inspired intrusion into their customers' private systems. It's really not much different from Sony's root-kit debacle or a toolbar's browser hijacking.

Any installed program has the ability to run amok, but the implicit understanding is that any well-meaning company will behave themselves, because they are a guest. In this case, sure, the intrusion was an innocuous popup. That is beside the point. I had installed SmartDefrag to maintain my hard drive. I was less that pleased when ads started appearing in the app itself. It was "tacky", but at least it was contained to the app's own display and so not a real concern. When this popup appeared, there was no indication that it came from an intentionally installed application. I had to track its process down to find the source. (And by the way, there's no setting that would have disabled it either). And now that this ad was free of the actual application, it raised the concern of how far this company was willing to go to exert its will. Anyone remember Real Player and how it would commandeer your file type settings?

So Cicely, with all due respect, IObit's response should be "We're sorry. We let our enthusiasm cloud our judgement. It was a mistake and it won't happen again," and definitely not "thanks for the suggestion. We'll think about it."

Downloads from cnet.com not contain dangerous viruses but contain potentially unwanted applications, adware, potentially dangerous applications.

Indeed it is not recommended to download programs from CNET.It would be best that IObit products can be downloaded direct from the official site.

Most of the programs you get from Cnet contains spammer ware inside.

Did not say virus but you never know with Cnet.

Spam

Xcom, thank you for mention CNet! Cicely, PLEASE stop them from all the freaking pop-ups for products while down-loading a specific IObit/ASC product. (I DESPISE CNet with a passion and have stopped D/L'ing products from companies that sent me to CNet for the down-loads.)

Most of us check in with the Forum often enough to know what's new.

Archived