IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Licensing for virtual machines?

sazroberson

I have a MacBook that I usually run OS-X on, but I have also installed Windows 8 and Windows 10 under BOOTCAMP; my installed IObit products are running fine under BOOTCAMP.

I am experimenting with virtual machines (VMs), both Parallels and VMWare. The IObit products run under either of those, but the VMs appear to be considered to be different hosts for licensing purposes. I am able to register the products on the VMs if I have spare license keys.

The most recent discussion I can find was in 2011 (see link) at which time it was said,

Yes Toppack, all IObit softwares run OK in virtual machines.

If you are using Pro/Premium editions, you have to enter seperate pro licenses though.

I am concerned as to whether every VM will require separate licensing, as that could $$$ add up quickly (and some of my VMs might seldom get used) ?

Is the licensing tied to the MAC address? I have control over that in my VMs; for example if were careful to never run more than two VMs at a time, I could configure make do with two seats (plus the BOOTCAMP seat) ?

I suppose in theory I could just keep using the Reinstall page to keep revoking installations, but that would surely come across as suspicious.

I am not running servers; I would just rather not have to reboot to BOOTCAMP every time I want to test something MS Windows specific.

Regards,

Virtual-Machine Software ? - IObit.Com Forums

My experiments do appear to suggest that licensing on VMs is tied to the MAC address of the network adapter. I found the virtual machine in which I had accidentally used a spare ASC seat, pulled out its configured MAC address, configured a different VM with the MAC address, and the second VM was acknowledged as being licensed.

There might possibly be other additional items being keyed on that the VMs all happen to have been reporting the same for (e.g., hard disk serial number), so MAC address might not be the complete story, but it works for me for my purposes.

Archived