IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

File Shredder - File in use

darxide

Occasionally I will get a "File in Use" error while trying to shred files. Clearly, the first thing I do is check that there isn't an open program that might be accessing the file. Rarely, it seems like Explorer itself is keeping the file "in use" and I will have to reboot to solve this. But most commonly, when I get this error I cannot find any reason for the file to be in use. In fact, I can rename the file, move the file and even delete the file through Explorer normally. I can open the files in editors, change them and then save those changes. It seems that File Shredder is the only program that sees those particular files as "in use" and refuses to shred them. It can happen with files of any type and extension. There doesn't seem to be any pattern than I can see.

Since those files contained sensitive information (hence why I'm shredding them) I cannot divulge the contents. I can say that the file extensions I have experienced problems with are: .zip .pdf .docx .jpg .rar just to name the ones that come to mind from this last round of attempted shredding. I have renamed the files (including extension) and still cannot shred them. I have simply named files "a" (no extension) and still cannot shred. The extension makes no difference. Instead, what I have been doing now is manually deleting the files and then using a free space wiper to clear all of the freespace on that drive and that is incredibly time consuming.

The files in question are located on an external hard drive. I have attempted ejecting the drive and then plugging it back in to clear any file locks. The same files that couldn't be shredded before still cannot be shredded after. It is definitely not an actual file lock. The shredder program is simply reading something incorrectly.

Since those files contained sensitive information (hence why I'm shredding them) I cannot divulge the contents. I can say that the file extensions I have experienced problems with are: .zip .pdf .docx .jpg .rar just to name the ones that come to mind from this last round of attempted shredding. I have renamed the files (including extension) and still cannot shred them. I have simply named files "a" (no extension) and still cannot shred. The extension makes no difference. Instead, what I have been doing now is manually deleting the files and then using a free space wiper to clear all of the freespace on that drive and that is incredibly time consuming.

The files in question are located on an external hard drive. I have attempted ejecting the drive and then plugging it back in to clear any file locks. The same files that couldn't be shredded before still cannot be shredded after. It is definitely not an actual file lock. The shredder program is simply reading something incorrectly.

Hi darxide,

Could you please provide the following information so that we can help you?

1. Does the "File in Use" error occur when you try to shred several files together or just when you try to shred one file?
  2. Please tell us the model of your external hard drive and the system of the external hard drive.
  3. Did the issue occur before? Please try several times to eject the drive and then plug it back to see whether the issue continues.

Instructions for checking the system of the external hard drive:

Please right click on the external hard drive, then you can see the File system under General.

Thanks for your work and patience.:oops:

Hi darxide,

Could you please provide the following information so that we can help you?

1. Does the "File in Use" error occur when you try to shred several files together or just when you try to shred one file?
  2. Please tell us the model of your external hard drive and the system of the external hard drive.
  3. Did the issue occur before? Please try several times to eject the drive and then plug it back to see whether the issue continues.

Instructions for checking the system of the external hard drive:

Please right click on the external hard drive, then you can see the File system under General.

Thanks for your work and patience.:oops:

1) Both. I try to shred several files and it will start shredding normally then it hits one of the files it doesn't like and says it's in use. I can then try to shred it solo and it still says in use.

2) Hitachi XL1000 and by system I assume you mean file system. It's NTFS. It also happens on both of my internal hard drives as well as my SSD.

3) It's been occurring for as long as I've been using File Shredder. That's been many years. I've tried ejecting the drive and plugging it back in and the problem still persists.

1) Both. I try to shred several files and it will start shredding normally then it hits one of the files it doesn't like and says it's in use. I can then try to shred it solo and it still says in use.

2) Hitachi XL1000 and by system I assume you mean file system. It's NTFS. It also happens on both of my internal hard drives as well as my SSD.

3) It's been occurring for as long as I've been using File Shredder. That's been many years. I've tried ejecting the drive and plugging it back in and the problem still persists.

Hi darxide,

Thanks for your feedback.

This is the first time we meet this issue, we are sorry the troubles. Our product team are working hard to fix this issue, hope this will be figure out soon,

Also, I'll inform you as soon as they get ways to solve it.

Thanks for your understanding and patience.:-)

Archived