IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

rtl120.bpl error on startup

evilfantasy

Did you recently do a 'system-restore' to an earlier setup?

No. The computer (HP Pavilion g7) is not even 2 months old.

Note - It probably needs Reinstalling, no matter what the cause since evidently the Registry can not find it

I have completely uninstalled Start Menu 8 and even searched for and deleted all leftover files/folders. Reinstalling didn't fix it.

This didn't happen until I updated to the most recent version of Start Menu 8. There was no error before then.

Hi evilfantasy,

I have completely uninstalled Start Menu 8 and even searched for and deleted all leftover files/folders. Reinstalling didn't fix it.

It wouldn't; because unless the related registry entries were also removed, then as Toppack mentioned, the registry would fail to find the file and, in this instance at least, report an error. However as to why a Start Menu 8 uninstallation, computer restart, and re-installation of (perhaps a fresh download of) Start Menu 8 does not work, perhaps points to something else.

In your initial post you said:

Every time I restart my computer I get an error saying rtl120.bpl is missing but that file is not missing.

C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\Start Menu 8\rtl.bpl

Upon the restart of your computer, when you get the error message, does it explicitly implicate Start Menu 8 as the culprit causing the error? Or simply state something along the line of "rtl120.bpl is missing" and provide no further info? (And I am assuming it is just a typo when you said you had looked but 'rtl.bpl' is not missing.)

And if the above is the case, then I wonder if another program, and not Start Menu 8, is causing the error. I just did a quick search on my Win8 OS and see that the file "rtl120.bpl" is installed under several IObit programs:

C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\IObit Malware Fighter

C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\Start Menu 8

C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\Smart Defrag 2

C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\Advanced SystemCare 6

(And that file "rtl120.bpl" is also installed under other non-IObit programs. . . .)

Has there been any changes to any other IObit programs on your Win8 install?

Doing a quick Google search, among 10's of 1000's results (which I read all thoroughly of course :!:), I find the following:

=================================

What will cause rtl120.bpl file error?

- rtl120.bpl file is missing as it has been deleted accidentally from your computer

- rtl120.bpl file is damaged by virus and your computer is unable to access to the file.

- rtl120.bpl related registry files is corrupt and obsolete.

- The program related to rtl120.bpl was uninstalled improperly.

- rtl120.bpl was overwritten by an older or corrupt version.

- Spyware/malware disguised itself as rtl120.bpl, and the original file was deleted by malicious spyware.

=================================

Also this: http://blog.iobit.com/rtl120-bpl_4581.html

And of course there is always the IObit Online Support form:

http://www.iobit.com/onlinefeedback.php

regards,

Laurence

Thanks for the reply.

Upon the restart of your computer, when you get the error message, does it explicitly implicate Start Menu 8 as the culprit causing the error?

(And I am assuming it is just a typo when you said you had looked but 'rtl.bpl' is not missing.)

Yes the error window directly states it's Start Menu 8.

Also yes. It's a typo. Should be rtl120.bpl

And if the above is the case, then I wonder if another program, and not Start Menu 8, is causing the error. I just did a quick search on my Win8 OS and see that the file "rtl120.bpl" is installed under several IObit programs:

C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\IObit Malware Fighter

C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\Smart Defrag 2

C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\Advanced SystemCare 6

(And that file "rtl120.bpl" is also installed under other non-IObit programs. . . .)

I did some digging myself and found that Advanced SystemCare 6 is also related to the error or that Advanced SystemCare 6 also includes that file. Since Start Menu 8 prompts us to install Advanced SystemCare 6 during the install process I went ahead and installed Advanced SystemCare 6 to see if it would clear the error but it did not help.

rtl120.bpl is in both of the program folders for Advanced SystemCare 6 and Start Menu 8 on my computer.

Has there been any changes to any other IObit programs on your Win8 install?

No but as mentioned above after installing Start Menu 8 upon each restart Object Dock no longer works.

Also this: http://blog.iobit.com/rtl120-bpl_4581.html

And of course there is always the IObit Online Support form:

http://www.iobit.com/onlinefeedback.php

The developers still visit the forums... right?

Hi guys.

Every time I restart my computer I get an error saying rtl120.bpl is missing but that file is not missing.

C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\Start Menu 8\rtl.bpl

Any ideas?

Hi evilfantasy... good to see you again! Reinstall the file from the below link to see if that solves. (it is a live link <confirmed>) :mrgreen: This particular Runtime file is incorporated into almost all Iobit softwares...

Did you see this post ?

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

P.S. Evilfantasy...

So it is fixed from the users point of view?

Did you find your recent login difficult or bothersome? There are chages made to this forum that affect all members here. (Including Admins, Mod, etc.)

Just wondering and asking.

Sincerely,

-Mel

live long and prosper!

Hello. :-P:-P

Yea I saw that post. I was hoping this may be a known issue and see if a fix may be coming. The last thing I expect to do when installing software is start applying fixes to make it work! :shock:

Then all softwares are broken as updates even could be construed as fixes.

Perhaps if the file is not removed then it won't need to be replaced?? Only an idea...:-D

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

This didn't happen until I updated to the most recent version of Start Menu 8. There was no error before then.

Hi evilfantasy,

I was just thinking about something else you stated. You said this error message didn't happen until you updated to the most recent version. Out of curiosity, does the error still show when you uninstall the most recent and install the earlier version you had been using?

One of the changes that was made to the most recent version (v1.0.2.30 as of this date) is a name change from "StartMenu8" to "Start Menu 8", and with that name change comes a new path, and registry entries to reflect that new path: C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\Start Menu 8\

All (older) versions, prior to v1.0.2.30, used the old name, StartMenu8, and were found in C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\StartMenu8\ and all registry entries for same reflected that old path.

I know you said that when you had uninstalled the version on your computer, you also manually searched for and cleaned out all related files and folders. But did the search and removal include both StartMenu8 and Start Menu 8 files and folders?

Additionally, you didn't yet mention if you also had searched the registry for and removed any related StartMenu8 and Start Menu 8 entries as well? (Either manually, sometimes preferred or necessary; or via a reputable registry cleaner/repair program.)

[NOTE: first always backup the registry especially before making any manual changes to it, and also know how to restore that backup just in case something goes wrong.]

And once all the above is done, and having rebooted the computer, and installed the most recent version of Start Menu 8, v1.0.2.30 (found here), what is the end result of your time and effort (fingers tightly crossed)?

regards (/biting nails),

Laurence

Hi evilfantasy,

Back to something Toppack and you said:

Did you recently do a 'system-restore' to an earlier setup?

If so, I suggest Reinstalling the Menu program.

Note - It probably needs Reinstalling, no matter what the cause

since evidently the Registry can not find it

And you had said "no" to his question.

However since this annoying and persistent glitch continues, you didn't mention whether you have since tried using System Restore to go back to an earlier system restore point - to a point in time when you had that earlier version of StartMenu8 installed on your system, and all was working well? (To see if the error goes away and it works as advertised once again.)

(NOTE: by choosing an earlier restore point "recently installed programs and drivers might be uninstalled" is the official Windows warning; thus re-installation of same may be required.)

evilfantasy, whatever you find, please keep us updated. And hopefully this will be resolved more quickly than not.

regards,

Laurence

Hi evilfantasy,

Nice to see you around!

Is the problem still going on?

Can you please attach a screenshot image of your explorer showing the exact portion of SM8 folder content as attached image?

BTW, I will let Cicely know to check the problem with the coder if it is still there.

Cheers.

Hi evilfantasy,

Nice to see you around!

Hello! Long time no see. :-D

One of the changes that was made to the most recent version (v1.0.2.30 as of this date) is a name change from "StartMenu8" to "Start Menu 8", and with that name change comes a new path, and registry entries to reflect that new path: C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\Start Menu 8\

Start Menu 8 - StartMenu8

Thanks Laurence. I found the folder I believe was causing the error.

C:\Users\[userName]\AppData\LocalLow\IObit\StartMenu 8 <- There was a configuration file in this folder and nothing else. I'm pretty sure that was the folder causing the error.

I uninstalled Start Menu 8 and deleted the above folder and deleted the 3 following files/folders to be sure everything was gone.

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Start Menu 8

C:\Users\[userName]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\StartMenu8.exe <- On the previous installations I had to place the StartMenu8.exe in this folder to get it to run at startup. I no longer need to put the file here as it is loading at startup now as it should.

I checked the Registry and there were a few keys found but I do not believe they would be causing the error. I did delete them just to be sure.

Restarted the computer.

Installed Start Menu 8 v1.0.2.30.

Restarted the computer and there is no longer an error and no issues with it loading at startup.

Start Menu 8 now works as it should. :grin:

BTW, I will let Cicely know to check the problem with the coder if it is still there.

The only remaining issue now is that Start Menu 8 is interfering with Object Dock. Upon startup I have to manually open the Object Dock settings and use the repair option to make it work. This only happens when I have Start Menu 8 installed. When I uninstall it Object Dock works as it should.

Thanks to everyone for the help so far. Hopefully we can figure out the Object Dock issue next.

I had no idea what 'Object-Dock' was,

so I found this Info:

http://objectdock.todownload.com/?lp=adwords&gclid=CKqk7qKvtLUCFfSnPAodpVsAXA

Does it Modify or Disable normal functions of the Task-bar?

If it does modify the normal Windows task-bar,

then I'm sure it would conflict with other Add-ons that modify the task-bar, like I think 'Start menu 8' does.

Have you seen any other software that 'Object-Dock' Conflicts with?

I had no idea what 'Object-Dock' was,

From Stardock. http://www.stardock.com

Does it Modify or Disable normal functions of the Task-bar?

Not that I have found. I adjusted the settings in Start Menu 8 to see if maybe the "Deactivate Metro" options were also deactivating Object Dock but no change. Object Dock loads and is running I just can not get it to work without repairing it.

Have you seen any other software that 'Object-Dock' Conflicts with?

No. I have had Object Dock installed on many computers and OS for around 8 years and never had a conflict with anything.

Archived