Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

rtl120.bpl error on startup

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • rtl120.bpl error on startup

    Hi guys.

    Every time I restart my computer I get an error saying rtl120.bpl is missing but that file is not missing.

    C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\Start Menu 8\rtl.bpl

    Any ideas?
    Last edited by evilfantasy; Feb. 12th, 2013, 20:15.
    .
    Malware Removal Assistance
    Usage of IObit Products

  • #2
    Did you recently do a 'system-restore' to an earlier setup?
    If so, I suggest Reinstalling the Menu program.

    Note - It probably needs Reinstalling, no matter what the cause
    since evidently the Registry can not find it
    Last edited by Toppack; Feb. 12th, 2013, 20:07.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Toppack View Post
      Did you recently do a 'system-restore' to an earlier setup?
      No. The computer (HP Pavilion g7) is not even 2 months old.

      Originally posted by Toppack View Post
      Note - It probably needs Reinstalling, no matter what the cause since evidently the Registry can not find it
      I have completely uninstalled Start Menu 8 and even searched for and deleted all leftover files/folders. Reinstalling didn't fix it.

      This didn't happen until I updated to the most recent version of Start Menu 8. There was no error before then.
      .
      Malware Removal Assistance
      Usage of IObit Products

      Comment


      • #4
        Hi evilfantasy,

        Originally posted by evilfantasy
        I have completely uninstalled Start Menu 8 and even searched for and deleted all leftover files/folders. Reinstalling didn't fix it.
        It wouldn't; because unless the related registry entries were also removed, then as Toppack mentioned, the registry would fail to find the file and, in this instance at least, report an error. However as to why a Start Menu 8 uninstallation, computer restart, and re-installation of (perhaps a fresh download of) Start Menu 8 does not work, perhaps points to something else.

        In your initial post you said:
        Originally posted by evilfantasy
        Every time I restart my computer I get an error saying rtl120.bpl is missing but that file is not missing.

        C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\Start Menu 8\rtl.bpl
        Upon the restart of your computer, when you get the error message, does it explicitly implicate Start Menu 8 as the culprit causing the error? Or simply state something along the line of "rtl120.bpl is missing" and provide no further info? (And I am assuming it is just a typo when you said you had looked but 'rtl.bpl' is not missing.)

        And if the above is the case, then I wonder if another program, and not Start Menu 8, is causing the error. I just did a quick search on my Win8 OS and see that the file "rtl120.bpl" is installed under several IObit programs:
        C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\IObit Malware Fighter
        C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\Start Menu 8
        C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\Smart Defrag 2
        C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\Advanced SystemCare 6

        (And that file "rtl120.bpl" is also installed under other non-IObit programs. . . .)

        Has there been any changes to any other IObit programs on your Win8 install?

        Doing a quick Google search, among 10's of 1000's results (which I read all thoroughly of course ), I find the following:
        =================================
        What will cause rtl120.bpl file error?

        - rtl120.bpl file is missing as it has been deleted accidentally from your computer
        - rtl120.bpl file is damaged by virus and your computer is unable to access to the file.
        - rtl120.bpl related registry files is corrupt and obsolete.
        - The program related to rtl120.bpl was uninstalled improperly.
        - rtl120.bpl was overwritten by an older or corrupt version.
        - Spyware/malware disguised itself as rtl120.bpl, and the original file was deleted by malicious spyware.
        =================================

        Also this: http://blog.iobit.com/rtl120-bpl_4581.html

        And of course there is always the IObit Online Support form:
        http://www.iobit.com/onlinefeedback.php

        regards,
        Laurence

        Comment


        • #5
          Another thing I had forgotten. When I install Start Menu 8, upon restarting the computer, it "kills" Object Dock. I have to do the Repair option in the Object Dock settings to get it working again.
          .
          Malware Removal Assistance
          Usage of IObit Products

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks for the reply.

            Originally posted by LaurenceJ View Post
            Upon the restart of your computer, when you get the error message, does it explicitly implicate Start Menu 8 as the culprit causing the error?

            (And I am assuming it is just a typo when you said you had looked but 'rtl.bpl' is not missing.)
            Yes the error window directly states it's Start Menu 8.

            Also yes. It's a typo. Should be rtl120.bpl

            Originally posted by LaurenceJ View Post
            And if the above is the case, then I wonder if another program, and not Start Menu 8, is causing the error. I just did a quick search on my Win8 OS and see that the file "rtl120.bpl" is installed under several IObit programs:
            C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\IObit Malware Fighter
            C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\Start Menu 8
            C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\Smart Defrag 2
            C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\Advanced SystemCare 6

            (And that file "rtl120.bpl" is also installed under other non-IObit programs. . . .)
            I did some digging myself and found that Advanced SystemCare 6 is also related to the error or that Advanced SystemCare 6 also includes that file. Since Start Menu 8 prompts us to install Advanced SystemCare 6 during the install process I went ahead and installed Advanced SystemCare 6 to see if it would clear the error but it did not help.

            rtl120.bpl is in both of the program folders for Advanced SystemCare 6 and Start Menu 8 on my computer.

            Originally posted by LaurenceJ View Post
            Has there been any changes to any other IObit programs on your Win8 install?
            No but as mentioned above after installing Start Menu 8 upon each restart Object Dock no longer works.

            Originally posted by LaurenceJ View Post
            Also this: http://blog.iobit.com/rtl120-bpl_4581.html

            And of course there is always the IObit Online Support form:
            http://www.iobit.com/onlinefeedback.php
            The developers still visit the forums... right?
            .
            Malware Removal Assistance
            Usage of IObit Products

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by evilfantasy View Post
              Hi guys.

              Every time I restart my computer I get an error saying rtl120.bpl is missing but that file is not missing.

              C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\Start Menu 8\rtl.bpl

              Any ideas?

              Hi evilfantasy... good to see you again! Reinstall the file from the below link to see if that solves. (it is a live link <confirmed>) :mrgreen: This particular Runtime file is incorporated into almost all Iobit softwares...

              Did you see this post ?

              Sincerely,
              -Mel
              Live long and prosper!
              Last edited by Melvin_Deal; Feb. 13th, 2013, 00:45.


              Comment


              • #8
                Hello. :-P:-P

                Yea I saw that post. I was hoping this may be a known issue and see if a fix may be coming. The last thing I expect to do when installing software is start applying fixes to make it work! :shock:
                .
                Malware Removal Assistance
                Usage of IObit Products

                Comment


                • #9
                  P.S. Evilfantasy...

                  So it is fixed from the users point of view?

                  Did you find your recent login difficult or bothersome? There are chages made to this forum that affect all members here. (Including Admins, Mod, etc.)

                  Just wondering and asking.

                  Sincerely,
                  -Mel
                  live long and prosper!
                  Last edited by Melvin_Deal; Feb. 13th, 2013, 02:06.


                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Yep. At first I thought my account was locked or something. It was fairly painless though.
                    .
                    Malware Removal Assistance
                    Usage of IObit Products

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by evilfantasy View Post
                      Hello. :-P:-P

                      Yea I saw that post. I was hoping this may be a known issue and see if a fix may be coming. The last thing I expect to do when installing software is start applying fixes to make it work! :shock:

                      Then all softwares are broken as updates even could be construed as fixes.

                      Perhaps if the file is not removed then it won't need to be replaced?? Only an idea...:-D

                      Sincerely,
                      -Mel
                      Live long and prosper!


                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I'll probably mess with it tomorrow and see what I can figure out.
                        .
                        Malware Removal Assistance
                        Usage of IObit Products

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by evilfantasy
                          I have completely uninstalled Start Menu 8 and even searched for and deleted all leftover files/folders. Reinstalling didn't fix it.

                          This didn't happen until I updated to the most recent version of Start Menu 8. There was no error before then.
                          Hi evilfantasy,

                          I was just thinking about something else you stated. You said this error message didn't happen until you updated to the most recent version. Out of curiosity, does the error still show when you uninstall the most recent and install the earlier version you had been using?

                          One of the changes that was made to the most recent version (v1.0.2.30 as of this date) is a name change from "StartMenu8" to "Start Menu 8", and with that name change comes a new path, and registry entries to reflect that new path: C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\Start Menu 8\

                          All (older) versions, prior to v1.0.2.30, used the old name, StartMenu8, and were found in C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\StartMenu8\ and all registry entries for same reflected that old path.

                          I know you said that when you had uninstalled the version on your computer, you also manually searched for and cleaned out all related files and folders. But did the search and removal include both StartMenu8 and Start Menu 8 files and folders?

                          Additionally, you didn't yet mention if you also had searched the registry for and removed any related StartMenu8 and Start Menu 8 entries as well? (Either manually, sometimes preferred or necessary; or via a reputable registry cleaner/repair program.)
                          [NOTE: first always backup the registry especially before making any manual changes to it, and also know how to restore that backup just in case something goes wrong.]

                          And once all the above is done, and having rebooted the computer, and installed the most recent version of Start Menu 8, v1.0.2.30 (found here), what is the end result of your time and effort (fingers tightly crossed)?

                          regards (/biting nails),
                          Laurence

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by evilfantasy
                            The developers still visit the forums... right?
                            As to whether or not IObit "developers" visit this forum, I do not know. I have seen IObit support staff pop-in the forums every now and again.

                            regards,
                            Laurence

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Hi evilfantasy,

                              Back to something Toppack and you said:
                              Originally posted by Toppack
                              Did you recently do a 'system-restore' to an earlier setup?
                              If so, I suggest Reinstalling the Menu program.

                              Note - It probably needs Reinstalling, no matter what the cause
                              since evidently the Registry can not find it
                              And you had said "no" to his question.

                              However since this annoying and persistent glitch continues, you didn't mention whether you have since tried using System Restore to go back to an earlier system restore point - to a point in time when you had that earlier version of StartMenu8 installed on your system, and all was working well? (To see if the error goes away and it works as advertised once again.)
                              (NOTE: by choosing an earlier restore point "recently installed programs and drivers might be uninstalled" is the official Windows warning; thus re-installation of same may be required.)

                              evilfantasy, whatever you find, please keep us updated. And hopefully this will be resolved more quickly than not.

                              regards,
                              Laurence

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X