IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

slow mouse movement after first click on Start menu 8

rbsbscrp

Hi All. Kudos to the creators of Start Menu 8, a wonderful must have patch for those who prefer the Start Menu to the Start Screen. I always recommend Start Menu 8 and on occasion have the opportunity to install it on bewildered friend/family's computer.

I'm seeking the solution to a couple of bugs/features. Oh, I have Win8 Pro x64 on a strong desktop and I'm running version 1.40 of Start Menu 8.

The first issue is that the first time I click on the Start Button (upon start up or awaking from sleep) there is a long pause and when I move the mouse the pointer takes a slow, drunken walk. Several seconds later the Start Menu pops up, then everything is fine. Repeated clicks to the Start button yield normal, immediate response. This is not a big problem, I report it here only to let you know that this is happening.

The second issue irritates me constantly: my mouse scroll wheel does not control the "All Programs" list scrollbar. Instead I must use the mouse pointer to grab the scrollbar and move the list that way. Perhaps I am spoiled by most other software I use (like my web browser) allowing me to scroll using my mouse wheel, but after you get used to this ability not having it feels awkward. In fact, I think the only software that does not allow me to control a scrollbar with my mouse wheel is Start Menu 8. If this is a feature that must be programed into an application could you please add it to Start Menu 8? Or perhaps I'm missing something obvious - in any case I would appreciate some help with this. (Hey! my mouse wheel can scroll this window!)

However, I still love the product. I can use Win8's Start Screen but I find the Start Menu layout superior (for desktop use).

Hi rbsbscrp, welcome to IObit Forums! :-D

There is a very short lag when Start Menu 8 is used first time in a logon session, but repetitive exit and start of Start Menu 8 does not show any lag.

For your second issue, probably it is specific to your configuration (of the mouse), as scrolling with scroll wheel of a mouse perfectly works for All Programs in Start Menu of Start Menu 8.

Cheers.

Hi rbsbscrp, welcome to IObit Forums! :-D

There is a very short lag when Start Menu 8 is used first time in a logon session, but repetitive exit and start of Start Menu 8 does not show any lag.

For your second issue, probably it is specific to your configuration (of the mouse), as scrolling with scroll wheel of a mouse perfectly works for All Programs in Start Menu of Start Menu 8.

Cheers.

Hi After some artful googling I found myself back in IObit forums where someone else reported the same problem with the mouse scroll wheel (their msg was dated Dec 4). The suggestion was that I first needed to click on something in theAll Programs list before the mouse wheel would control the scrollbar. I tried this and indeed it did work - okay I guess that is an improvement.

However, I finally noticed that version numbers are more detailed than just "1.40". I had version 1.40-897. I downloaded a new copy and it is v1.40-902. Guess what? It fixes the mouse wheel issue!

Yesssssss.

It also fixes the weird slow mouse movement problem upon first actuation of the program. Now it runs flawlessly each time.

This is a GREAT program guys/gals. Thx!

Hi rbsbscrp,

I assumed you have read the related threads in IObit Forum, and your SD8 is the latest available version! :-o

You can find the latest releases and information of all IObit products in NEWS & OFFERS section, just follow the relevant thread emoticons. ;-)

In fact the latest for Start Menu 8 (1.4.0.908) can be downloaded from the link in Start Menu 8 - 1.4.0.897 is released! (Updated to 1.4.0.908) thread.

Cheers.

I really can't figure out what caused this. I just went ahead and installed this last week and no issues found. This might be some software conflict?

You might want to try to boot up at safe mode and see if the problem is still there. icon_smile.gif

Archived