IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Windows Update will not launch

malcy990

I have recently upgraded to Start Menu V2 from the previous version. I now notice that I cannot launch 'Windows Update' from the programs list - simply nothing happens. If I look in the Windows->User-> Me->AppData->Roaming->Microsoft->Windows->Start Menu->Programs folder, and double click on the Windows Update entry - the program launches so the shortcut is OK.

Any ideas?

Hi malcy990,

Thanks for your feedback.

Please follow the steps below to help us further look into the issue.

1. Download the file setup.exe from the link http://wikisend.com/download/280504/setup.exe

2. Run setup.exe to install Start Menu 8 again.

3. Launch 'Windows Update' from Start Menu 8. When the same issue appears, please download the tool GetIObitConfigurationFile.exe from https://www.dropbox.com/s/zeebd524gwwg67b/GetIObitConfigurationFile.exe?dl=0 Then run it and click “Save report to Desktop”. After it finished, click OK. Please send us the file IObitConfigurationFile.log on the desktop so that we can look into the issue further.

Thanks for your time and help.

I am sorry that I have not replied before, but I was expecting an email informing me up activity against my post. This email did not come.

I installed the setup.exe as requested by Cicely. This has set my version to 2.1.0.0. The problem still persists.

I then downloaded and run the GetIOBitConfigurationFile.exe. This runs to completion, but does not create the log file on my desktop. Looking in the 'temp' directory whilst the command is running I see the GetInfoDir directory being created and populated, but it is then deleted without the log file appearing. I ran a trace using the ProcMon.exe utility from sysinternals, and I can see all the activity to GetInfoDir, but no creation of a log file. Would the detail from ProcMon help?

Hi malcy990,

Thanks for your information.

We've updated the file GetIObitConfigurationFile.exe, so please downlod it again from the link below.

http://wikisend.com/download/348164/GetIObitConfigurationFile.exe

Then, launch 'Windows Update' from Start Menu 8 again. When the same issue appears, please run GetIObitConfigurationFile.exe again and click “Save report to Desktop”. After it finished, click OK. Please send us the file IObitConfigurationFile.log on the desktop.

If there is still no IObitConfigurationFile.log on the desktop, please find it in the same folder of GetIObitConfigurationFile.exe, and send IObitConfigurationFile.log to us.

Thanks for your time and work.

The GetIOBitConfigurationFile .exe that you have posted will not run on my Windows 8.1 system - The windows message is "this app can't run on your PC, please check with the software publisher" - so I am. Also Chrome will not download the file saying that it is harmful.

Hi malcy990,

The file GetIObitConfigurationFile.exe is free of virus. Please be assured to download it. We've contacted Google Chrome to solve this false positive report, and now Google Chrome is dealing with it. Please download it using other browsers from the link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ax77brqf9jmei2y/GetIObitConfigurationFile.exe?dl=0

Then, launch 'Windows Update' from Start Menu 8 again. When the same issue appears, please run GetIObitConfigurationFile.exe again and click “Save report to Desktop”. After it finished, click OK. Please send us the file IObitConfigurationFile.log on the desktop.

If there is still no IObitConfigurationFile.log on the desktop, please find it in the same folder of GetIObitConfigurationFile.exe, and send IObitConfigurationFile.log to us.

Thanks.

Please can you tell me how to attach the log file. When I use IE11, I attached the log file and then 'posted the reply', but as can be seen from the post above - the log did not transmit. If I try Chrome, then there is a long delay whilst the log file is uploading, but then an error saying that the reply is empty and no post is created.

This Forum technology leaves a lot to be desired. I am not getting any notifications either.

Further to the problem that I have described above - I notice that other programs do not launch properly. Specifically Nero 2015 Cover Designer fails with an error that it cannot find files when started from the program list, but works if I go to the shortcut via Windows Explorer and double click on it. I have tried another Windows 8 menu replacement program (Classic Shell), and all functions appear to be working from there, so it is definitely something to do with the StartMenu8 installation.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi malcy990,

Very sorry for the late response.

Please follow the steps below to help us further look into the issue.

1.Download SM_FIX.zip from the link here http://wikisend.com/download/152432/SM_FIX.zip

2.Unzip SM_FIX.zip, find SMFixTool.exe and run it. Then click the button “Fix Error”.

3.Then try to open programs from start menu.

When programs do not launch properly from start menu, please tell us the full name of the programs.

And please download the updated tool GetIObitConfigurationFile.exe from https://www.dropbox.com/s/zeebd524gwwg67b/GetIObitConfigurationFile.exe?dl=0 Then double click to run it and click “Save report to Desktop”. After it finished, click OK. Then you will get the file IObitConfigurationFile.log on your desktop. Please send IObitConfigurationFile.log to us.

Thanks for your time.

I have downloaded and run the SMFix.exe utility, and then tried again to run the failing program - no joy. Two specific that are causing problems are Windows Update and Nero CoverDesigner. I created a Start Menu entry for Windows Update by going to the 'Control Panel', right clicking the 'Windows Update' entry and selecting 'Create ShortCut' from the drop down menu. I then moved the shortcut from the desktop into the folder C:->Users->Malcolm->AppData->Roaming->MicroSoft->Windows->Start Menu.

Windows Update then appears in the list of programs in the StartMenu8 programs. If I click on this entry - then nothing happens, but if I navigate to the folder entry detailed above and click on that the Windows Update launches. Also, if I replace StartMenu8 with 'Classic Shell' then Windows Update will run from the programs list.

For Nero CoverDesigner, the error is a popup error message during startup indicating that files cannot be found, but the same program entry works fine for Classic Shell.

I have posted the IObitConfigurationFile.log file to http://wikisend.com/download/404630/IObitConfigurationFile.log

Hi,

I have looked into this a bit more. The program launches that fail all seem to be ones that are set is windows "Advertised Shortcuts" where the actual program to be launched cannot be seen in the properties of the shortcut. When I launch the Nero Cover Designer, as an example, the actual invocation command is "c:\Program Files (x86)\Nero\Nero 12\Nero CoverDesigner 12\CoverDes.exe" "Files" "(x86)\IOBit\Start" "Menu" "8\StartMenu8.exe"

All the strings after CoverDes.exe should not be passed to the program as parameters, and that is causing my error in this case.

I have installed he latest version as provided in Dropbox. 4 comments:-

1. It does fix the issue of not being able to launch "Windows Update" from a shortcut created from the control panel as originally described.

2. The entry that appears in the program list does not have an icon associated with it - if I go directly to the startmenu folder via windows explorer the shortcut does have the correct icon associated.

3. Other programs that I have installed that used 'Advertised Shortcuts', such as Nero, still do not launch. I described this, with an example of the incorrect invocation string in an earlier post.

4. I now have a context menu for all my items in the program list to "Powerful Uninstaller". I did not ask for this - how do I remove it.

Thanks

To clarify point 3 in my previous post - here is the data from SMLaunch_log.txt when I try the Nero Cover Designer

2015-03-16 17:51:00:693 SMLaunch_sFilePath=c:\programdata\microsoft\windows\start menu\programs\CD & DVD Utilities\Nero\Nero CoverDesigner.lnk

2015-03-16 17:51:00:693 SMLaunch_sUserParsm=

2015-03-16 17:51:00:693 SMLaunch_sExePath="C:\Program"

2015-03-16 17:51:00:693 SMLaunch_sParam="Files" "(x86)\IObit\Start" "Menu" "8\StartMenu8.exe"

2015-03-16 17:51:00:693 SMLaunch_CommandLine="C:\Program" "Files" "(x86)\IObit\Start" "Menu" "8\StartMenu8.exe"

2015-03-16 17:51:00:693 SMLaunch_FilePath=c:\programdata\microsoft\windows\start menu\programs\CD & DVD Utilities\Nero\Nero CoverDesigner.lnk

2015-03-16 17:51:00:693 SMLaunch_SMLaunchNormal=0

2015-03-16 17:51:01:710 SMLaunch_nResult7=42

The parameters are all corrupt, and by using ProcessExplorer I can see that you are indeed trying to launch the program with these parameters

Hi malcy990,

Happy to hear the lauch issue has been fixed.

For the issue 'Powerful Uninstaller' context menu, currently it cannot be removed from the context menu.

We have forwarded your feedback to our Product Manager and Tech Director. They will considerate it carefully in the next version.

We really appreciate your supporting to IObit.

Archived