IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Misleading.WindowsDefence GDIPFONTCACHEV1.DAT false positive? [SOLVED by db 1927]

My IObit Security 360 found this during a full scan.

Threats Found:1

|Name|Type|Description|ID|

Misleading.WindowsDefence, File, C:\Documents and Settings\Christina\Local Settings\Application Data\GDIPFONTCACHEV1.DAT, 4-31243

I read that it's a possible fp that could be linked with an hp printer, but I don't use an hp printer. Should I remove this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TY

snap

This file also came up on my quick scan today, running full scan now.

same on full scan, i dont have any printers on my setup either.

Misleading.WindowsDefence, File, C:\Users\scrd100\Local Settings\Application Data\GDIPFONTCACHEV1.DAT, 4-31243

False Positive on file GDIPFONTCACHEV1.DAT

On November 5th, I updated the definition file and ran fulls scans on all of my PC's. These include WindowsXP-SP3, Windows Vista-SP2 both x32 and x64 and Winows 7 x64. All reported:

Misleading.WindowsDefence on file GDIPFONTCACGEV1.DAT file.

Here is the scan history report from one of the PC's

IObit Security 360

Version:1.5.0.13

Define Version:1924

Time Elapsed:00:01:10

Objects Scanned:49906

Misleading.WindowsDefence - Quarantined, File, C:\Users\LeslieDBater_Admin\Local Settings\Application Data\GDIPFONTCACHEV1.DAT, 4-31243

This file has been in Windows for years and has never been a problem.

I also uploaded the file to VirusTotal and it ran against 42 different scan software and none of them found anything wrong.

I hope that this gets corrected as soon as possible.

Les Bater

Hi Enoskype,

Virus scan came back clean,

MD5 : c1259a609995dc3678b41a047a9aa85a

SHA1 : 57b7a370c33dd32b73406def8934e6bee5121ee2

SHA256: 94fa8964abc708e1f7d07d3b77a86ef34849e7b7927f91b1deb28fcc4b557975

Roy

Hi scrd01

Tanks for your feeback.

You can send the file (GDIPFONTCACHEV1.DAT) to http://www.wikisend.com and give us the link.

False Positive-same one everyday

IObit Security 360

Version:1.5.0.10

Define Version:1926

Time Elapsed:00:02:30

Objects Scanned:50932

Misleading.WindowsDefence- Quarantined, File, C:\Users\Amber\Local Settings\Application Data\GDIPFONTCACHEV1.DAT, 4-31243

:?

I get this same false positive everyday. IObit Security 360 removes it, and Windows puts it back.

Please fix this. It is messing up my computer everyday when I start it. :-x :x :x

Otherwise, I LOVE your products. :-D

Hi hxin,

I checked on my own machine and the file is there. I opened it and it is all fonts descriptions inside. As the file name suggests, it is a font cache file. Totally harmless.

Because it is a cache file, I'm thinking that size (and therefore checksum) will vary from region to region, from OS to OS, so if IS360 is targetting the file by name only, you can safely remove the detection.

===

Question about false positive checking

Most probably false positive, but please follow the procedure in Guidelines and Requirements for Reporting a False Positive. thread.

Upload the file to www.VirusTotal.com to give the report link here, and upload the file to www.wikisend.com to give the download link here for IObit to further investigate.

Cheers.

I couldn't even open the file. I didn't remove it, but my computer said it didn't exist. I typed in the file name and it came up empty.

How can I upload the file to virustotal.com and wikisend.com when that happens? :?: :???:

Hi wagygirl

Try writing this in run control.exe folders

control.exe folders Opens Folder Options (notice space between "exe folders")

In that window choose the tab Display - and under Advanced setting of Files and folders choose to have them shown - they are by default chosen to be hidden (they recommend it in ordinary circumstances) but then you can't see them and this is necessary in this situaton.

also choose to have hidden files and folders shown.

Try that and see if you can now find the file - by the way - as far as I remember I think there is a search option too that will find them - under advanced setting in Search you can ask it to search in hidden files and folders too.

Cheers

solbjerg

I couldn't even open the file. I didn't remove it, but my computer said it didn't exist. I typed in the file name and it came up empty.

How can I upload the file to virustotal.com and wikisend.com when that happens? :?: :???:

False Positive - how to check.

Hi wagygirl

Try writing this in run control.exe folders

control.exe folders Opens Folder Options (notice space between "exe folders")

In that window choose the tab Display - and under Advanced setting of Files and folders choose to have them shown - they are by default chosen to be hidden (they recommend it in ordinary circumstances) but then you can't see them and this is necessary in this situaton.

also choose to have hidden files and folders shown.

Try that and see if you can now find the file - by the way - as far as I remember I think there is a search option too that will find them - under advanced setting in Search you can ask it to search in hidden files and folders too.

Cheers

solbjerg

Thank you so much. Now I will be prepared to help out, not just complain next time it happens :grin:

Archived