IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

What security?

rob72

Hi, I am relatively new to computers, and want to ensure my laptop is fully protected agains viruses and malware, are they the same thing? I have the presemt Malwarebytes antimalware pro, and running the present ASC 8 Pro, the question, is this sufficient protection? as ibelieve ASC8 pro is not an antivirus/ malware product, if nesecery, please advise on a product that would be compatable with the present software, IMF free seems good, but do I need this, or any other, or secific anti virus? thanks.

rob72

You have posted your query in the wrong sub-forum. This section is for malware removal assistance. Other users will not be able to view your post and offer suggestions.

This is clearly explained in the Header at the top of this Forum page.

While I am sure that Superdave ( he manages this section of the forum) will be more than willing to offer suggestions, he may decide it would be more appropriate to move your Topic to IObit Security Softwares General Discussions .

Where other users can offer suggestions/assistance. I cannot move Topics from this section of the Forum.

I am relatively new to computers, and want to ensure my laptop is fully protected agains viruses and malware, are they the same thing? I have the presemt Malwarebytes antimalware pro, and running the present ASC 8 Pro, the question, is this sufficient protection? as ibelieve ASC8 pro is not an antivirus/ malware product, if nesecery, please advise on a product that would be compatable with the present software, IMF free seems good, but do I need this, or any other, or secific anti virus? thanks.

Malware and viruses are not the same. There is plenty of malware floating while viruses are not so common. You should have a good Anti-virus program installed on your computer. You didn't mention what OS you're running. If it is 8.0 or 8.1 there is already an AV installed called Windows Defender and there is no need for another AV. If you're running any OS below Windows 8.0 you should download and install one of the free AV's I've provided below. I would recommend MicroSoft Security Essentials.

Looking over your log it seems you don't have any antivirus software.

Before we continue download and install a free antivirus.

Remember to only install one antivirus!

1) Avast! Home Edition

2) AVG Free Edition

3) Avira AntiVir Personal

4) MicroSoft Security Essentials All versions and all languages.

5) Comodo Antivirus (Uncheck during installation "Install Comodo SafeSurf..", Make Comodo my default search provider" and "Make Comodo Search my homepage" if you choose this one)

It is strongly recommended that you run only one antivirus program at a time. Having more than one antivirus program active in memory uses additional resources and can result in program conflicts and false virus alerts. If you choose to install more than one antivirus program on your computer, then only one of them should be active in memory at a time.

• 1 year later...

Hi rob72, I hope this can help you to understand things better :oops:

Malware is software written specifically to harm and infect the host system.

Malware includes viruses along with other types of software such as trojan horses, worms, spyware, and adware.

Avirus is just one type of malware, but the term is more widely used by the public. The term malware refers to any malicious software, including a computer virus.

Virus is a program written to enter to your computer and damage/alter your files/data. A virus might corrupt or delete data on your computer. Viruses can also replicate themselves.

There are different types of Virus i.e. File virus, Macro virus, MBR virus, Boot sector virus etc.

A Trojan horse is not a virus actually. It`s a destructive program that looks like a genuine application. Unlike viruses, Trojan horses do not replicate themselves but they can be just as destructive.

Trojans also open a backdoor entry to your computer.

Cheers vbsmile.png

Archived