IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Another Spigot, Inc thread

mitcorb

Yesterday, I updated ASC. With the update was an extra "page" with freeware which included Iobit 360, FreeApps, Game Booster etc.

This morning I looked at the startup list within the 360 console and discovered in the list "Spigot" with a search settings.exe file. The path is C-ProgramFiles-CommonFiles-Spigot-etc. File properties indicate it was loaded about the same time as the ASC update.

I have done a search on Spigot and got various info such as "Backdoor.Spigot"trojan, and Possibly unwanted adware, and PUPS.

Which is it?

Is this a required component of ASC?

I prefer not to use the Iobit toolbar. However, after disabling it, my default search engine preference cannot be reset.

I keep getting a systray(lower right icon bar) info balloon that says a program has been blocked from changing the default. It does not say which program. However, none of this ever popped up until I allowed the download of the freeware.

I am also experiencing some popups of alert boxes with title borders, but the titles do not give sufficient information such as what program is initiating it. (I do not know the terminology, obviously for these boxes) If ASC is initiating these, then the box should also say ASC or Iobit or whoever. Unidentifiable origins suggest a threat.

Hello and welcome to IOBit Forums. My name is Dave. I will be helping you out with your particular problem on your computer.

1. I will be working on your Malware issues. This may or may not solve other issues you have with your machine.

2. The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for this issue on this machine.

3. If you don't know or understand something, please don't hesitate to ask.

4. Please DO NOT run any other tools or scans while I am helping you.

5. It is important that you reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.

6. Your security programs may give warnings for some of the tools I will ask you to use. Be assured, any links I give are safe.

7. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear.

SUPERAntiSpyware

If you already have SUPERAntiSpyware be sure to check for updates before scanning!

Download SuperAntispyware Free Edition (SAS)

* Double-click the icon on your desktop to run the installer.

* When asked to Update the program definitions, click Yes

* If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here

* Next click the Preferences button.

•Under Start-Up Options uncheck Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts

* Click the Scanning Control tab.

* Under Scanner Options make sure only the following are checked:

•Close browsers before scanning

•Scan for tracking cookies

•Terminate memory threats before quarantining

Please leave the others unchecked

•Click the Close button to leave the control center screen.

* On the main screen click Scan your computer

* On the left check the box for the drive you are scanning.

* On the right choose Perform Complete Scan

* Click Next to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.

* After the scan is complete a summary box will appear. Click OK

* Make sure everything in the white box has a check next to it, then click Next

* It will quarantine what it found and if it asks if you want to reboot, click Yes

•To retrieve the removal information please do the following:

•After reboot, double-click the SUPERAntiSpyware icon on your desktop.

•Click Preferences. Click the Statistics/Logs tab.

•Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.

•It will open in your default text editor (preferably Notepad).

•Save the notepad file to your desktop by clicking (in notepad) File > Save As...

* Save the log somewhere you can easily find it. (normally the desktop)

* Click close and close again to exit the program.

*Copy and Paste the log in your post.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from here.

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.

• Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Full Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart. (See Extra Note)
  • Please save the log to a location you will remember.
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the entire report in your next reply.

Extra Note:

If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

Download Security Check by screen317 from one of the following links and save it to your desktop.

Link 1

Link 2

* Unzip SecurityCheck.zip and a folder named Security Check should appear.

* Open the Security Check folder and double-click Security Check.bat

* Follow the on-screen instructions inside of the black box.

* A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt

* Post the contents of that document in your next reply.

Note: If a security program requests permission from dig.exe to access the Internet, allow it to do so.

Ref your response

Hi, Superdave:

First of all, I mean no one any disrespect, either you or ASC, but I may appear to be rather direct in the following:

By the fact that you responded, I take it that you believe I have an issue more sinister than the possibility that the Widgi Toolbar is a product of Spigot, Inc. who may or may not be sinister. I have a vague feeling that it is a "search assistant" to locate software updates and is part of the ASC freeware bundle which I inadvertently agreed to install (possibly unclear in the download process on how to opt out).

With that, I am puzzled by your boilerplate form. I have been through a "forum based malware removal session" before, and as a result I am not going to enter into another unless it is truly warranted. While you may view it as a simple process, I don't have the same view, even though today I may have a tiny shred more understanding of what's behind the thick curtains of Windows than I did over two years ago.

If you wish to help, please first address the particulars in my first post in this thread and help me gain some insight. I can understand if you decide not to proceed. In any case, please respond either way.

First of all, I have no idea what you mean by ASC. It could be American Society of Cinematographers, American Society for Cybernetics or Aeronautical Systems Center.

I have done a search on Spigot and got various info such as "Backdoor.Spigot"trojan, and Possibly unwanted adware, and PUPS.

Which is it?

I have no idea until I run the scans.

With that, I am puzzled by your boilerplate form. I have been through a "forum based malware removal session" before, and as a result I am not going to enter into another unless it is truly warranted.

That is your choice. If you feel I'm wasting your time, just let me know. If you don't want to run the scans, then there's nothing more I can do for you.

Hi SuperDave,

FYI:

mitcorb is talking about Advanced SystemCare, IObit's flagship otimization software, when he says ASC. :grin:

Since he did not mention the version, I would assume ASC3 and not ASC4 Beta.

Hi mitcorb,

Please read Welcome to the new IObit Spyware-Malware Removal Help Forum! thread and follow the procedure in Guidelines for requesting malware removal assistance thread and the guidance of a Malware Fighter if you would like to get help in this section.

Cheers.

Archived