IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

How Do I Keep My Privacy While Using Google?

colemancol

"I use Google all the time. Google's services are fast, easy to use and usually reliable. At the same time, I know Google is tracking everything I do; I can see it in search results or their ads on web pages, which tend to match my interests. After the recent post by Mozilla's community director suggesting Bing has a better privacy policy (a response to questionable comments from Google CEO Eric Schmidt), I started to... 'google' ways of keeping my private data safe while browsing and using Google services. The results weren't very helpful, so I ask you, how do I stay anonymous to Google while using their services?"

Hi titou

Hi Colemancol,

Did you try with Tools, Begin private nav from Firefox ?

I believe it can match...

Cheers

Hi friend. Is this any thing like sandboxie??? I just now noticed this Tool in firefox. Tired to read about it but not real sure what it does. Do you use it??--garybear

Hi gary

It is a function that allows you to allow or block or block certain elements on the sites you visit.

Actually it is rather similar to the function in Windows Internet settings in controlpanel - a bit more options though

controlpanel/internet settings/tab personal protection/ button advanced/- where you can skip automatic use of cookies and instead for example tell it to block all third party cookies and for example to ask permission to use cookies on the site you are on, - you can also choose to allow cookies during the session.

This is rather a good possibility, but it demands a bit of work from you in the start - this will become less and less over time unless you are constantly finding new sites to explore.(this option has been possible for many years)

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi friend. Is this any thing like sandboxie??? I just now noticed this Tool in firefox. Tired to read about it but not real sure what it does. Do you use it??--garybear

Is this any thing like sandboxie??? I just now noticed this Tool in firefox. Tired to read about it but not real sure what it does. Do you use it??--garybear

garybear- As solbjerg pointed Firefox Private Browsing allows you to control privacy settings from within the browser. Sandboxie on the other hand sets up the browser to run in a Virtual space separated from all the other components of your computer giving you complete control over what data is brought into the computer while any Malware in the browser is deleted when the Sandbox is closed which is the ultimate in private browsing!

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/Maxxwire_Photos/Album%202/SandboxieGraphic.gif

~Maxx~

How do I stay anonymous to Google while using their services?

The short answer is you can't stay anonymous to Google while using their services. The best you can do is to find comparable services from another less intrusuve provider. You can start by switching search engines and uninstalling all Google programs including Google Search, Google Chrome, Google Desktop and Goolge Toolbar.

Although I would recommend running your browser in Sandboxie for enhanced computer security speaking from experience after using Sandboxie normally without using a proxy for almost a year I have never noticed any difference in browser speed or the availability or unavailability of websites running in or out of the Sandbox because the Sandbox is merely an allocated space on the Hard Drive and the browser is running in that Virtual space letting the browser run as usual with only the browser's communication to the computer being under the operator's complete control as long as the browser is run Sandboxed.

~Maxx~

.i don't know why but this works ,as i my self now run my browser sand boxed..but to my suprized the first time i can use Google,this way...with nothing changed..

itsmejjj

jjj- Its good for us to have an opinion available from someone who is as expert at using proxies as you are. Unfortunately as a photographer I can not afford the 98.5% reduction in the bandwidth that my browser is allowed to access during experiments I have done with using an encrypted proxy.

I am thrilled to hear that you are deriving so many unexpected benefits from running your browser Sandboxed in addition to the excellent security that it offers your computer!

~Maxx~

can not afford the 98.5% reduction in the bandwidth

yes i can understand this .if one is pushing large file around ,one would want all speed one can get..98% well i don't know about that much loss

jjj- You are right and when moving larger size files the speed difference shows up the most. Here is where I got the figure that TOR was 98.5% slower. I recently did an Opera TOR download test of a 1.9 MB .png Photobucket photo of mine from the link that I set up to it from the IObit Lounge. According to my Bandwidth Meter Pro utility the download took 3 minutes and 20 seconds which averages out to 76 Kbps.

Then I immediately downloaded the same 1.9 MB photo from Photobucket using Opera 10.01 with an empty cache in 3 seconds which averages out to 5,070 Kbps on this relatively small of a download. 76/5070 = 0.01499 = 1.5% of the normal bandwidth is being used when downloading with TOR. 3 seconds normal download time / 200 seconds download time with TOR is also 1.5% as fast as it would be normally downloading this 1.9 MB photo. When I move larger pictures with files in the 8-10 MB range the bandwidth goes up into the 30-33 Mbps range which makes it essential to use normal Broadband speeds under these circumstances.

I spent 8 years on the internet using a dial up connection which is about 1/2 the speed of using Proxy servers with great success in doing research and also posting frequently on several forums and you are completely right that the difference between these slower connections and using Broadband diminishes as the bandwidth requirements for the task are lowered.

As far as keeping information from Google goes I saw a broadcast of the FCC hearings into Deep Packet Inspection which allows real time monitoring where they had people giving testimony including one of the original inventors of the internet. The last fellow to speak derided the entire investigation citing that Google's information gathering technology was already 10 years ahead of the Deep Packet Inspection technology that they were discussing and that they should be going after Google's information gathering technology which was much more dangerous and intrusive than the highly invasive technology they were discussing.

~Maxx~

danburrito- You are my Hero! I've been looking for my ultimate default Search Engine for a long time and now because of you I've finally found it...

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/Maxxwire_Photos/Album%202/Ixquick.jpg

I will suggest that the Ixquick Search Engine be installed on all of my family and friend's computers!

~Maxx~

jjj- I'm quite aware of how much information leaks out of the browser which is why I've been following your posts concerning Poroxomitron ever since you first mentioned the program here last July and have had the program on my computer for some time. While using ProxN45j I found it very difficult to find updated filters for it as the stock filters are very weak as you know. The most recent set of filters I could find were JakxPackIII and JakxPackIV and most of the sources for lists were sites that had long been closed and only a few basic lists for specialized use were available to a novice like me who did not know exactly where to appropriate more advanced level lists and filters from. I found that without help from someone highly adept in finding these key advanced level elements I could not get Poroxomitron to alter any more than the browser type in my headers nor work successfully with a proxy even though Proxomitron tested the proxy as functional. Are there places on line that one can download these filters and lists or is this subject not to be spoken of on a public forum? I took it about as far as I could on my own and now I could really use some help from a seasoned Proxo Pro...

~Maxx~

Dear colemancol!

Welcome here. Sandboxing will isolate your browsing with google... and everything that comes with it, to a specific spot of your hard drive... way away from you systemfiles... (and personal info you may have there). Gone,gone,gone!!! all things associated with your browsing session Systemwise, meaning your system. It won't hide your IP address though... If nothing can infect or touch you, then why do you have to hide??

If your question is about disquising/hiding IP addresses... then thats a different story... and there is a whole bunch of info on this forum to that point as well, in a different thread.

Sometimes those who come here go off on tangents with a new question (myself included). Just want to make sure we are helping the best we can!!

Welcome here. Sandboxing will isolate your browsing with google... and everything that comes with it, to a specific spot of your hard drive... way away from you systemfiles... (and personal info you may have there). Gone,gone,gone!!! all things associated with your browsing session Systemwise, meaning your system. It won't hide your IP address though... If nothing can infect or touch you, then why do you have to hide??

If your question is about disquising/hiding IP addresses... then thats a different story... and there is a whole bunch of info on this forum to that point as well, in a different thread.

Sometimes those who come here go off on tangents with a new question (myself included). Just want to make sure we are helping the best we can!!

max --is this subject not to be spoken of on a public forum?

i did but was reminded not a good idea..not here any how..

mealvin--

very well put sorry i do end up heading in the wrong direction..

you are right..i meant well .....i apologize..to the starter of the tread...

Ok all gone

itsmejjj

The title of this thread "How Do I Keep My Privacy While Using Google?" in and of itself is an oxymoron. Often an oxymoron is used in order to deliberately call attention to a contradiction this particular contradiction being the notion that one could indeed keep their privacy while using Google which is a true paradox. That being said all possible attempts to reply directly addressing the OP's original question within its original context will by definition prove themselves to be tangential.

~Maxx~

Hi maxx

I am a true ox and a moron, so it really is a conundrum that I understood you. :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

The title of this thread "How Do I Keep My Privacy While Using Google?" in and of itself is an oxymoron. Often an oxymoron is used in order to deliberately call attention to a contradiction this particular contradiction being the notion that one could indeed keep their privacy while using Google which is a true paradox. That being said all possible attempts to reply directly addressing the OP's original question within its original context will by definition prove themselves to be tangential.

~Maxx~

Perhaps the question is... " I am a user on a system, but have no administrative rights. Is there a way to stop the administrator from monitoring my online activity via usage of parental controls?"

not sure what this means ,do you mean on the forum or out side it?

no administrative rights. or the OS? well i wonder why this is ?

Is there a way to stop the administrator from monitoring my online activity ?

yes outside the forum i think you mean .

administrator your isp man..? easy .he can only SE my traffic .but that's it.nothing els..if say thy were trying to see where it travels to or comes from .not a hope in hell..i block my isp man .! dns server from reaching my systems

yes this is so .thy only count the amount .how i know this ,i asked my one .

been with them 16 years.and very friendly..and thy admitted thy do not have a clue ! what i do.or use it for..but then i give no reason to them ta worry ether..that is why i use my special program ..thy never complained or bothered me as what i do use it for.. and if thy did .say try to check .and for what ever reason .thy would com-plane em .i got this finger i would show them..no if or buts..no we are good here..

itsmejjj

Attention Please- Not that we are not having a nice discussion here, but where is the OP colemancol? It seems to me to be very Trollish behavior to pose the terminally conflicted question "How Do I Keep My Privacy While Using Google?" and then not reply even once even after almost 20 well thought replies from the Forum's Membership. This has gone on so long that we are now answering questions that represent what perhaps might have been the intent of the OP's query. It appears as though we have been actively participating in this Troll's antics.

~Maxx~

we been suckered in! how nice..---this is very distressing ..hurtful

i did not see this ..what a shame if this did happen a wast of time it took me 4 hours of hard work explaining -caps mad in detale explanation now gone.wiped..

for me not easy --but getting better..i think? clever making friction among us..

what a shame this happens! if indeed it was...and i now sit here with mixed feeling perhaps causing this ta happen..i do not know now as i was thinking we were doing the right thing...

i see now the asking member - amount of logs..and was wondering why no answer.well we learn ...i hope this was not the case!

Sometimes those who come here go off on tangents sure we do but mean well.

and its not a good practice..and do try hard to stay out of new treads made..

itsmejjj

TY Maxx!

Without clarification from the question poster... we can't help. If the poster of the question doesn't come back... whats the point? These threads of discussion for regular forum members already exist... the other side is... perhaps not a troll; but scared off by us, the regular visitors here.

Aye... tis a nice playground, but has a purpose... to help ALL members, not just the few!

Even if it bores you, this is the purpose of this help forum! Many have found help here... and learned/became more prepared users... Let's make sure we extend this opportunity to all!

Maxx is absolutely right!!!

Aye jjj! Hard to tell sometimes!

I sometimes look back at the original question, then compare to the content of the new posts (as well as look at the dates of the posts). Then I put myself in the shoes of the original poster.

By the nature of their posts, sometimes one can glean an insight to their proficiency... (they post here so, they want help with a question... if they are genuine that is...)

By turning back to the question of the original poster, and pondering back on our own posts... thinking, "hey... a few months ago was a great discussion on this!!! Sometimes I find, by trying to be helpfull on the level of understanding I have... I am not... I must reexamine the original question and address it accordingly.

You have much knowledge and understanding jjj. You are a blessing to this forum!!! You have helped me!!

Thank you!

Archived