IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

windows 8 need some tips

sunny staines

a new laptop is in the near future samsung or a toshiba. had a play on windows 8 in a store what a dogs dinner, microsoft has dumbed down the o/s well and truely an insult to computer users.

would be grateful for any tips and advice on w8 to get me started. hate the metro screen.

does iobit ASC and SD run ok in it?

There are free apps that completely bypass the Metro screen and another one that adds a start button.

With these 2 apps, my Windows 8 computer works like Windows 7.

You can also deactivate the new Windows 8 Lock Screen (100% useless) through a registry setting.

Did you know there is no way to boot into Safe Mode any longer? This was a very bad decision my MS which has personally caused me some big headaches.

Bypass Metro

http://www.downloadcrew.com/article/28076-skip_metro_suite

Start Button

http://www.classicshell.net/

Bypass Lock Screen

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/142482-how-to-disable-the-windows-8-lock-screen

Instructions for booting into safe mode on W8.

Or...This

These do not work. I have tried them all.

If Windows 8 will not load (you cannot see the UI), it is not possible to get to the screens mentioned in these articles. I have read a ton about this. Googling will just bring you to the same information over and over that does not work.

For example I installed a new Nvidia driver and upon reboot, I was faced with a blank screen (no UI). I was not able to get to any of the Windows screens mentioned in these articles. Many articles mention repeatably hitting Shift + F8 to get to safe mode. This doesn't work either.

I had to boot from the Windows 8 install disk and use System restore to go back to the older driver.

masterblaster, Scannan.

not sure what the lock screen is yet, but thanks for your replies, disappointed will not be able to play dvd's with media player, looks like its a VLC download not as good.

will look at those apps

I could be wrong but I think Windows 8 doesn't come with many programs installed like Windows 7 did. I had to download something for Media Player and CD/DVD's play fine now.

The lock screen is a screen that shows when your computer is not used for a while. It's like a windows blind that must be lifted to see the normal log-on screen. I see no use for it at all. All it does is get in the way.

Masterblaster

Thank you for all the feedback. I am sorry to hear the various solutions for booting into safemode do not work. I do not have w8 and if possible I never will. I have used it a few times on other systems, but I ddi so in desktop mode.

Hopefully, MS will listen to all the unhapppy users and bring out aan OS that people actually want.

Until then I will stay with XP.

Hi sunny,

I do use both, StartMenu8 and Classic Shell.

IMO, if you like Windows7 look, StartMenu8 is a good choice, but if you prefer the classic look, Classic Shell could be the preference.

I think your third inquiry should be Start Menu X but not StartbuttonX, which I have not tried.

Cheers.

Archived