IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Returnil Virtual System

titou56

Hi titou,

I did use the Pro for a while, but if you forget that it starts when the Windows start, all the work you have done that day is fictitious and gone when you shut down your windows. It spares about 10GB of your HD to work as a virtual windows.

I still have it, but do not start when the Windows start and keep the space for it in th most inner part of the disk, so it does not interfere with your any operation and performance at all.

It is one of the best if you are dealing with dangerous malware and testing alpha or Beta softwares.

Cheers.

Hi Narxis,

Hi Enoskype,

Thanks for your feedback... Ok, I pass over :roll:

By the way, concerning this kind of soft, I remember a recent affair here from a member using Sandboxie and have been polluted...

So there is not universal solution ! only a smart surfing with Firefox, a good antivirus as Antivir, A good antimalwares as A-squared (waiting IS360 V2) and a couple of disk copies of type Acronis or Macrium, seems to constitute a bit efficient parade ...

We are living a modern epoch ! :shock:

Hi enoskype,

About dangerous malware... I have to warn everybody that virtual environments, including Returnil, are not immune to "jumping over". There are some documented cases where some malware (real nasty) have successfully jumped from a virtual OS to the Host system, even when all sharing options are turned off. Virutalization programs have flaws, just like operating systems and browsers, and the bad guys can figure ways to jump over if they put some effort into it. The only safe way to manipulate malware is to use a dedicated computer, for testing only.

One last thing : Returnil and other similar products (like Deep Freeze) don't allow you to reboot and keep changes, so malware testing suffers greatly because many infections require a reboot to install properly...

Hope that helps

===

Agreed to all of it So_sad.:wink:

I wouldn't imagine anybody in around this forum is going to try or test a realy dangerous virus for the sake of trying a Virtualization software for the sake of it anyway. I don't, but I do for critital Alpha or Beta softwares. 8-)

Hi titou,

That member's case of pollution was complately different, it was a self infliction with a will, but malicious code by mistake.

Cheers.

Hahaha... you'd be surprised by the large amount of people willing to play with infections. People who shouldn't play with infections.

Another thing I don't like about programs such as Returnil : when you market software by saying we can use it and do anything we want with our machine, then just wipe everything with a simple reboot, then who do you think the target audience will be ? "I can do anything and there won't be any traces when I reboot - yeaaaaahhhh !!".

I don't want to generalize of course, but I do think this promotes very bad behavior, for some. What else would you use it for ? Not sure.

===

Hi so_sad!

So how did you learn? You tested and found out for yourself!

Now you advise others to listen and not do what you have done?

JJJ follows your advice... in fact I think he's ahead of you on this.

Perhaps if JJJ had advised you not to do this(a few years ago)... would you have listened?

As I tried to point out to Maxx... he was too comfortable.

-Mel

Yes So_sad, it is true for long time testing.

BTW, who is that Jim in your signature? :lol:

Oops, is that still there ? Old story. I haven't had any trouble in a while so I'll remove that from my sig :wink:

(no, I won't tell... :mrgreen:)

• 3 weeks later...
Hi enoskype,

About dangerous malware... I have to warn everybody that virtual environments, including Returnil, are not immune to "jumping over". There are some documented cases where some malware (real nasty) have successfully jumped from a virtual OS to the Host system, even when all sharing options are turned off. Virutalization programs have flaws, just like operating systems and browsers, and the bad guys can figure ways to jump over if they put some effort into it. The only safe way to manipulate malware is to use a dedicated computer, for testing only.

One last thing : Returnil and other similar products (like Deep Freeze) don't allow you to reboot and keep changes, so malware testing suffers greatly because many infections require a reboot to install properly...

Hope that helps

===

Hello So_sad,

Please do not confuse RVS with a virtual machine solution. The malware would not be able to "leak" except in the following context:

1. ISR (system level virtualization) can only do three things: drop all changes, save some changes, save all changes. This means that while the virtualization is active, the malware can still function as intended until it is lost at restart. What is different here is that rather than focus on detections (at best, you may see 30% to 50% detection/removal success rate for any scanning technology when compared to the potential population of all possible malware that exists at any given moment in time), RVS focuses on reducing the time to removal of that malicious content rather than risk the persistence of undetected content over long time periods (Rustok C, Induc A, and others come to mind as examples here).

2. There are a small subset of malware families that are targeted towards virtualization in general, and solutions like RVS System Safe specifically. We have added hardening that keeps the MBR from being changed as well as additional protections against low level disk access overall. This still leaves a very small population of malware that require blocking/detection to ensure they do not effect your real system. This is why we have added the Virus Guard and anti-execute features...

Where you mention that RVS does not allow the user to reboot and keep changes, I have to disagree as the paid versions allow:

1. save selected files and folders to the real System

2. Move files between virtual and real systems as required

3. Save all changes made during the current virtual session by configuration (be cautious here as this is an advanced setup and will be as though RVS were not installed...).

For more robust testing of programs and malware across restarts, we strongly recommend solutions such as VMWare, Microsoft VPC, and VirtualBox. We are working however on a new multi-state restore feature that will allow a virtual session to be maintained across restarts.

Mike

HI!!!!

I have a great grand son that visits me and he it getting interested in computers. I want to try this program and have been trying to install and run this program for three days. My personal opinion; a program that won't let you install it and doesn't have any support from the vendor is pretty much worthless. I have tried more times than I can count to make it work. I have sent all kinds of logs to the support team and they have not been able to help me. I hope this is not another bobo of yours IObit.

I hope this is not another bobo of yours IObit.

Hi garybear,

Please ask your questions to Coldmoon, he is from Returnil, and IObit is just promoting it, and please don't start blaming IObit again garybear.

I have been using Returnil 2007 Pro with XP Pro xp3 for long time and it is working as it should.

I have installed Returnil 2010 Free to my Windows 7 Ultimate, and it is also working flawlessly.

Cheers.

Hi enoskype!!

Hi garybear,

Please ask your questions to Coldmoon, he is from Returnil, and IObit is just promoting it, and please don't start blaming IObit again garybear.

I have been using Returnil 2007 Pro with XP Pro xp3 for long time and it is working as it should.

I have installed Returnil 2010 Free to my Windows 7 Ultimate, and it is also working flawlessly.

Cheers.

I'm not blaming IObit. I guess after you make an *** of your self, it's hard to say any thing with out some one taking you wrong. I have been in contact with their support team all day and they have not solved any thing for me. It was a joke enoskype ;about a bobo of IObits. The program will not even install for me. I'm glad it's working for you. I have sent them every log and a complete file of my system information and they have no answers. I guess Coldmoon can check with them and find out what all I"ve sent them. I would like to try it ,but I'm getting real tired of trying to get it installed and working. That's all I;m saying. You have a nice day friend!!!

hi gents i can agree on the comments and yes its a danger to monkey around.

but then how would one know? i try any and all ,that is what i do. always testing to see ,what will happen ,probably not wise?

but then how would one know..

the point is so long as one relish what can happen and care less go ahead learn.

but one needs extra systems.or a fast way of reinstalling.a meted to do so.

guess what i just lost the whole drive playing with a program..haaa

and had a ball of fun..needless to say its in tha bin.the app that is

took 3 hours ta get my drive back..

but yes if i state do not use a app who would take note?

after all, i am a fool.. haaa i keep losing half me brain..

no i have played around for years.and can almost tell if a install will fail.before it done..

any how trying 64 bit now ,my first go at it..never bothered.

this should be fun..

ges what my proximitron runs on 64 bit..i cant be leave it!

now for a good fire wall..and i give it a run..for a while..

itsmejjj

Hi Mike

Hi Mike. I finally got your program to work. It's not some thing I want. I could never get it disabled, and that's not a good thing. I guess I'll pass for now , but hey it was one hell of a learning process. I suppose the paid version is better, but I'm not going to risk my money to find out. PS I hope you haven't gone to a lot of extra work. I learned a lot, so it wasn't all wasted time. If you could turn it on and off, it would be a hell of a program. ===garybear. Thanks!!!

Hi there Mike, and thanks for stopping by. Wish I had read you back over at CC some years ago ;-)

Sorry about any confusion my previous post may have caused (RVS vs virtual machines). My own experience does rest more with virtual machines. The changes that are coming sound very interesting though and I might just give it a spin once they are finalized. Being able to reboot while retaining a full virtual session sounds... yummy 8)

===

Hi Mike!!!

Hi Mike. I sent you a PM. I think this is what your people are telling me to do, but I'm not real sure. This is the way I always had the program. I do not have a clue about how I finally got the program installed. I did not like the program because I could not disable it when I didn't want it on, and I have uninstalled it and will wait till its perfected further.===garybear PS I don't think your team had the right answer, but that's ok. Thanks for your hard work Mike. I think your program has a long way to go before It's perfected. Keep on working and pass my comments to your team about compression. I don't think that was the problem.

Archived