IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Macrium reflect...

titou56

talking on image back ups etc.

recently on my windows 7 I used the system image back up [i back up after every windows and drivers updates] to repair a failed windows update mess. the prev system image restored easily,quickly and with a good result.

so if you have w7 no more need for macrium, just keep it now for xp.

thanks Titou....i get it now...cant beat this..as a recovery of a system when down and out....Saved my bacon many times!

"so if you have w7" hi sunny yes i agree if the drive will boot.or you use the win rescue disk.in most cases can fix it..

no more need for macrium ? well i don't know but its a free app and guaranteed to re image any drive with any OS so long as one has that precious image made..

itsmejjj

• 4 weeks later...

Just asking!

talking on image back ups etc.

recently on my windows 7 I used the system image back up [i back up after every windows and drivers updates] to repair a failed windows update mess. the prev system image restored easily,quickly and with a good result.

so if you have w7 no more need for macrium, just keep it now for xp.

Hello sunny!

I'm new to this site, and I'm browsing around to see what I can learn. If you don't mind, I would like to ask you some questions. I know nothing about Windows 7. You say no need for Macrium except for xp. Question no.1. If your hard drive dies, how do you recover?. no2.

When you restore your image, does it restore with all the updates and setting just exactly like the day you created your back up.

With Macrium, I can put a brand new cold HD in my tower, put in Linux recovery CD. Connect my USB. Find my Image. Restore that image on a brand new cold HD and be back up and running just like nothing ever happened in less than a hour.

Can Windows 7 back up feature do that? Just asking! If it can that's great. If it can't better keep Macrium around or Acronis or some other program like those.

• 4 weeks later...
i back up w7 to the secondary hdd, to cover hdd failure.

Hi again,

Yes works very well, only reason perhaps is installing a back up application besides the OS default one, Just in case?

This one and the one that is working at the moment are experimental.

I have used the free version for some time and have a few back up images made.

So far, besides the Os installed (back up), if you use w7 + are available as a package, with them only.

Many that still run XP this would be very useful. Plus, of course windows Vista, or windows 7( -) versions

Mr Bean

~~~~~~

Why would one use this program?

Disk Imaging

You can create an accurate and reliable Image of your hard disk or partitions on your disk. Using this image you can restore the entire disk, partition or individual files and folders in the event of a partial or complete system loss.

Images can be stored on local or network drives, CD or DVD media, and removable drives connected using USB or Firewire (IEEE1394).

Recovery - Linux or BartPE

In the event of a"Total loss" of the Windows operating system your PC can be started using the Reflect™ recovery CD. !

No excuse not to back uo your OS!

There is no reason for XP users not to back up their OS.

I use Macrium Reflect Pro.

It's as easy as it gets.

1-Right click on drive to back up (C drive usually has OS)

2- Click on Create a image of this partition( Macrium Opens)

3Choose Drive (C Drive)

4Choose destination( USB, Secondary Drive, ect)

5 Click Finish

6 That's it.

You now have peace of mind, and can play around, and do what ever you want. Better than sand boxie IMHO. Takes me about 11 minutes to create a back up image. PS I searched the forum and there are several screen prints on this software. You have no excuse, so back it up!!:roll:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I would have to strongly disagree with the idea that the Windows 7 recovery option is a good alternative for Macrium free or my current favourite Paragon free.

Firstly you can only specify the drive to send the image to and not a particular place on that drive. Secondly you do not have the option to name your backup.Thirdly the compression is poor, 17.9 GB compressed to 15.1 whilst Paragon compressed it to 9.6 GB and took two minutes less. Fourthly when I put the image back on it asked a couple of things about PC configuration such as Key board layout and I had to select English UK from a drop down menu. I obviously wanted my PC restored to the time the image was made so why questions about PC configuration ? With both Macrium and Paragon when you set the restore in progress there is no user input needed until the operation is finished. Fifth and most importantly when my PC rebooted after the Widows restore I had icons missing from my notification area. I wonder what else was missing. This has never happened with Macrium or Paragon. I always get back what I imaged.

For me the Windows 7 recovery module is a very poor relation to Macrium or Paragon.

Regards Alex

Hi titou56,

When I saw I had icons missing after the Win7 restore I could hardly believe it.

I have done approx 50 restores with Macrium with no problems at all. Each couple of weeks I restore an image,update and reimage ready for the next restore in two weeks. This keeps the PC fresh and quick with no registry clutter and ensures any hidden malware is wiped out.

Recently I have defected to Paragon free because it can do a restore without the recovery media ,you just open the program and set it off and when it asks for permission to reboot you say yes. It will then reboot into recovery mode and finish the restore with no input required. If left it will bring up your desk top.

Also , unlike Macrium, you can restore to a partition that is smaller than the partition from which you made the image. Thirdly I have found the restore process so much quicker for my system. Whilst Macrium takes over half an hour Paragon takes just twelve minutes. As this is down time I think it is a great advantage.

I haven't used Paragon as extensively as Macrium but so far it has been very easy and very reliable. I still maintain Macrium along with a few images though as I know it will not let me down if I need to call on it.

Best Regards, Alex.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived