IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

OpenOffice vs Libreoffice

titou56

Hi friends :wink:

I've been using OpenOffice for a couple of years now...

A few days ago I read about LibreOffice which was created by old members of OpenOffice organization... it is a fork in the name of freedom.

hmmm, which organization do I follow ? their products are so similar...:roll:

Is any member able to tell me more ?

Best regard

Hi titou

I would take it easy for awhile, - the product is still in beta.

There seems to be some improvement, most notably as I see it in the macro-writing department - why OO haven't done that long ago I don't understand.

Excel has a problem with dates that stems from a mistake written into the program originally - someone apparently at that time thought that the year 1900 was a leap year, and instead of rewriting the code they have tried to mend it, - explanation given that they wanted it to be compatible with earlier wrong versions.?

This dating problem is non-existent in OO and LO (Libre Office)

I am still wondering why a splinter group wanted to create a similar product, any differences they should have been able to hammer out - me thinks.

Ego-clashes???

The difference in commands language-wise ought to be handled differently in all the products I think.

Always saved and sent as English commands - and then "translated" into the recipient's language.

They ought to be able to automate this process - and have a list that translates the commands in Help.

Cheers

solbjerg

I've been using OpenOffice for a couple of years now...

A few days ago I read about LibreOffice which was created by old members of OpenOffice organization... it is a fork in the name of freedom.

hmmm, which organization do I follow ? their products are so similar...:roll:

Is any member able to tell me more ?

Best regard

• 2 months later...

Libreoffice

I finaly decided to follow the Libreoffice document foundation software... the most part of the team of development made it !

http://www.libreoffice.org/

It is compatibility domain that evolutions are the most notable. The developers sided to spread the support of software bureautique with OpenXML, promoted by Microsoft. It introduces advantage to ameliorate import and export of existent documents of Microsoft Service (2007), nowadays norm in firm. But OpenXML is not the only one, LibreOffice 3.3 can also work PDF, Lotus Word Pro, Works Microsoft and WordPerfect.

What office suite are you used to work with ?

Best regards

• 2 months later...

pparently LibreOffice is the continuation of OpenOffice

hi....friend...

i dont know more about this topic...

Apparently LibreOffice is the continuation of OpenOffice and will replace it in a lot of distros. They're still working on the re-branding part, but it'll be more community driven rather than Oracle driven.

< Link deleted > by wozofoz

Advertising links are not allowed, Banning offence.

• 4 weeks later...

OpenOffice is dead

In a press article published on Friday, April 15th, Oracle announces that he endes the commercial version of OpenOffice.org, of which he was the main sponsor . The editor transfers the entirety of the development of office suite to the Open source community.

So, I have done the good choice, isn't it ? :mrgreen:

hi enoskype and titou

For the time being I have both version on my machine.

The libre setup file is better than the OO one, especially language-wise.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi Enoskype, :wink:

You will not be disoriented by interface :lol:

Very best regards

Thanks for the info.

I shall install it only to use the Database because it sounds compatible with other formats including mySql.

For the past 22 years, I have used mostly MS Works and frankly I have never felt the need to use expensive programs.

But MS do it on purpose that Works is not compatible with all formats, this way they protect their Office suite which is way, way, way overpriced.

Thanks for the info.

I shall install it only to use the Database because it sounds compatible with other formats including mySql.

For the past 22 years, I have used mostly MS Works and frankly I have never felt the need to use expensive programs.

But MS do it on purpose that Works is not compatible with all formats, this way they protect their Office suite which is way, way, way overpriced.

What is the advantages and disadvantages used this software compare to giant Ms Office ? If its is too little differentiation, why not I'm try it.:roll:

advantages

=> Kitchen Boy : in few words

this suite is free, compatible with all others suites, exports to pdf, the files are lighter than MS...

And keep in mind : Google is your friend ! :wink: just enter "Ms office vs libreoffice"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived