IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Linux for Fun ?

Mr Bean

Dear readers : LINUX is it worth a go?

I stated its not often now.I get excited about programs ,being on the net so very very long Now 20+ years

seen it all and some,now and then looked at this form of OS ,but not impressed favoring MS ,as its a lazy OS,and limited,, put up with its persistent Naggers,Scans,spy ware,and virus fighting,ICMP attacks,DOS hits,

you name it why? just so easy to use.do not need to think .

just point and click,

fell back into a rut, that I could not forgo,then along came unbuto played with it for a while ,again disseminated, as it failed to work for me.gave it up to easily,fell back down the well,so to speak

then hit this idea why not just run it on a spare pc,? version 6, and played a little with it,then started to work out what was so different,now as it was totally alien ,and became dissociated with it ,Being So different,very different to MS and the programs,walked away from this Form of Os.as well

as time passed ,downloaded 7, plus 8 , take a look at it,this certainly interested me with all the fine work thy improved "USER FRIENDLINESS"

Then reading for weeks on end all the different comments

one Stood out for me ,a elderly gentleman,wrote.

Now that you have it working,and running,stay with it,try to use it every day for 1 week ,(NO MS) Take your time be watchful ,and carefully go along as you surf,let it flow along, and find the right programs you like.learn it.

trust me,it is really easy.and you will like it as you grow use to it.

but I did fail again ,and fell back to the easy OS,one day reading and surfing around I ran into the same gentleman post,re~read it all the way to the end .got thinking.DO IT

give it a go .This time stay with it,just as he stated.

ok so I did this .NO MS (ouch).and it was hard at first very! I made mistakes

and even hit the reset button ! time ,to get out frustrated,.took a break came back thinking I probably lost it.(the Linux OS)The Booting SYSTEM.but no it booted with nothing lost

this impressed me.Lets keep going. finally work out how to duel boot

followed the help ,and now every thing is all right!, 3 weeks into it and loving it.now got it like fort Knox fire walled to the max

blocking like MS cant do .and browsing perfectly.download,watch any movie I want,reject what I want ,no nags of any sort,no adds,no scripts,malaware worry's,no stupid cookies,redirects,tracking,you name it ,and I can block it out and run .! no having to boot out of it ,NO blue screens or locking ,that I was expecting.being new to it .hit a program if it did not work nothing went wrong!

the Os just sat there, as if saying To me ,OK lets try something else,MR BEAN.

yes friends this is a hell of a OS to try out ,and what ever type you like ..\

Try it ,you got nothing to lose but a bit of time.and may even like it..

thank you for reading and please try it.LINUX is A lot of Fun.

MR bean.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Penguins on parade

Great post Mr Bean :smile:

I am so pleased to read you have this new interest/hobby.

I know you have the time and the patience to learn a great deal, then you will be giving back to the Linux community I am sure.

I have been very busy lately and haven't had a lot of spare time to play with Linux but I certainly haven't given up on it.

When I do launch it on my Netbook it seems so natural and smooth, there are no battles for RAM and CPU going on in the background simply because very little needs to be running.

Have fun Mr Bean and keep us updated

By the way, you look good in a Tux :mrgreen:

All the best, woz of oz

By the way, you look good in a Tux .oh don't know about that.but this is a powerful OS as I am finding out,the more I use it,the easer it is ,certainly do what you like,at the moment watching every port ,link,and so on come across this little ripper, not wanting to bore readers keep it sort ,have a look at the caps better then a deep explanation.

Mr Bean

• 3 weeks later...

well this is very special for me. playing around setting up and trying different things,Installed

Linux Wine,a app that allows to run windows based programs,tho only some do run successfully others do not yet run.but the good news for me is its running my older Dos based filtering apps,and safe guards.this project Wine I read has been a very long ongoing thing

that the volunteers improved, and in the last few years in leaps and bounds.is really working well.

i was very happy when things got going,and now gives one options to run software with Linux! testing this (my MS based Software) proved a success!

So if you do use Linux,or a variant of Linux< as a fun OS then you may want to run and install this fine add on.WINE

Mr Bean

hi again for Linux lovers.

I must say every day this gets better and better,the fact now is some of the important windows Application's are running superbly,reading a lot of posts at the Linux forums,some very helpful,others stupid reply's ,or rather silly statements,.but sifting,past them you can pick up a lot.

I don't know if this is ok?

but Utorrent I use to download big files,(legit by the way.yes I really do!) it was stated one could not get it to work. but after a few changes its working fully! as if using windows. its self.

with Linux wine.you think it was win running.this took a bit of fiddling, thinking it over ,try out a few thing's, but runs very fast,and better than the native apps(Linux) any how this plus a few more now strengthens the OS and in what one allows.

this is a very Good,And if you have time?,For The OS , if you have some spare time or bored,try it!

And by the way playing around with a few iobit apps,

tho I think may not be any help as its designed for win, but hey its fun trying.

Mr Bean

Hi all

Well, now added dos box the latest version.That also runs on windows 7.

Interesting thing is this allows my old games to run..Tho using dos box on XP now runs well on Win and Linux.

I have many wonderful old strategy games, and love playing in my spare time on them. Now can again with this OS!

And win 7 as well

Mr Bean

hi

Sorry did not reply sooner,yes the last few days really been giving this a go.(gaming) trying out the settings,sometimes runs free of problems other time freeze ups,when the game grows,(playing) thy say to possible game speed ,to fast,as thy are 1996 when made,mostly for 486DX pcs 95 os,running on a modern pc is tricky,tho thy suggest to have the cycles set to auto,and let the dos box run it in that mode,problem is the CD I think may not BE helping ,(copy right) type thing thy introduced,stop piracy,I have a lot of problems getting it to start

as it cant see the cd drive,and a reboot to pick it up Again

when it crashes.or freezes

{ lose the cd,} I wonder if one could copy the cd to the drive To A folder

somehow to make the game think its the cd itself? that may save to having to mount the cd drive,and mount the hard drive(same speed)

and perhaps stop the freezing,

but how would one do that ? and would this work if at all?

Mr Bean

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Dos box

well the only way to get most running that request the cd is you have to mount it .

there is no other way one can do this

(mount d i:\ -it cdrom) as shown this loads Msdex and the drive i:\ (the cd drive)

then mount c c:\game where its installed then enter c:\

and type the name of the exe.

works as long as it sees the CD drive and installed the MSdex .

on my set up there are 2 cd drives ether one where the dist resides.

type in the letter.

Mr bean

pro of linux you xould try out manny systems

even have xp bt linux.its free

i ever tryed pc linux eh 2007.

problem i had no window driver is working

try wine software did t either working

manny have windows and linux

cause with linux if you have no internet for some reason

whom do you ask for help.

hi

yes I have Linux and windows on the same system but on there own drives

you are right with the wine application not all windows applications work .tho

its improving all the time,the reason I use Linux now, most of the time its safer,and non nagging. and very fast,as its light on the memory.

plus I run many older software that cant on the MS OS. xp,vista,or win 7

yet run beautifully on Linux.

at the moment now really getting stuck into the dos box,

this is a clever bit of programing.

runs best with win7 ! and very few lock ups ,depending on the game played.

the reason I say this, as most were made for 95 98 200 OS ,and not Linux

Mr Bean

Wat Linux to use?

well that will depend on what one works for you and what you are going to use it for.how and what....

Xp ?? I truly cant say if thy are a good combination,

as I use windows 7only now.

..thus you may find different working.

if you decide to use it be sure to read this tread from start to Finnish..

installing is fine ,but you system will not boot to Linux !

you need to use the small app so it writes the entry to the booting menu.

now one more thing .if its possible use Linux on its own drive(best) so you don't mix win and Linux on the same drive..

now I think you state that you try it on your spare lap top?

then there should be no problems booting as its only Linux that is installed.

ok now what one ? well try a few different ones.till you find what is good fore you.

Linus Mint I (found) find is the best of them all.

version 10.10 but that is only me and what runs for me the best..

also be aware to install a fire wall from the sympathetic folder where you find all the free downloads in mint .or unbunto

how or where did you search for drivers for linux???

its all done from the respiratory (Linux Base) the Linux will let you know if you need any update or add on.

Mr Bean

well the only way to get most running that request the cd is you have to mount it .

there is no other way one can do this

I apologize, for I have difficulty consuming the message-- likely some, rather, a lot of signal-to-noise ratio causing breakdown, ultimately-- however, i believe i understand the gist of what you're doing.

i presume, as you sing nothing of the X, here, you must be doing this under the Microsoft system?

either way, regardless, or... whatever..., as it seems you enjoy the linux garbage... try the ISOMount... many variations of the same animal (if you're using debian, just do Synaptic [or Aptitude, it's better, but prerequisite some like learning a lang:: search "?func(string) ?func2(string2)", etc...], and look for "mount ISO", or-- well-- you know better than I, but i suspect you'll find precisely you'll be able to do it, what you wish.

-- so, appears to the filemanager (at least) to be another "disk".

E.g.

$ mount /some/cd/image /media/thisdisk-not-really

$ filemanager computer://

where you should see "/thisdisk-not-really" as ... i dunno... a cd-rom... i forget... never had use for it, myself.

yeah, linux... it's a lot of... something. Fun? hardly. hehe... however, solid, and certainly "works". i've used it for years-- it's good to have around when Windows craps-out, as it is liable to do, every-so-often.

;-)

Wat Linux to use?

well that will depend on what one works for you and what you are going to use it for.how and what....

Xp ?? I truly cant say if thy are a good combination,

as I use windows 7only now.

..thus you may find different working.

if you decide to use it be sure to read this tread from start to Finnish..

installing is fine ,but you system will not boot to Linux !

you need to use the small app so it writes the entry to the booting menu.

now one more thing .if its possible use Linux on its own drive(best) so you don't mix win and Linux on the same drive..

now I think you state that you try it on your spare lap top?

then there should be no problems booting as its only Linux that is installed.

ok now what one ? well try a few different ones.till you find what is good fore you.

Linus Mint I (found) find is the best of them all.

version 10.10 but that is only me and what runs for me the best..

also be aware to install a fire wall from the sympathetic folder where you find all the free downloads in mint .or unbunto

how or where did you search for drivers for linux???

its all done from the respiratory (Linux Base) the Linux will let you know if you need any update or add on.

Mr Bean

if i put it on the old laptop i delete windows 7.i have netbook with windows 7

laptop is i don t know 8 years old.

and i can experiment with it.

see hows like with linux

Linus Mint I

First, please accept my apology for what appears to be my reply-- nonsensical-- out of order, and irrelevant. I don't understand, frankly. It was my intention to reply to a thread I was reading, posted by Mr Bean i believe, regarding difficulty or, i believe the User stated-- impossibility-- of mounting Iso... i'm sorry: i forget by now. The point-- my reply is out-of-order, above. I'm confused about that. (however, i see timing there-- something posted shortly before mine-- significant, perhaps, as the act of posting / forum activity is extraordinarily time consuming for this User [myself])... blah, blah...

However, I do have opinion, regarding this issue. Please allow my input, as follows:

With this (and earlier allusion to the same) notion, encouraging prospective Users proceed, in a whimsical manner, with the selection concerning an appropriate flavour of the open-source operating system, "Linux", having a staggering number of variants, and variants upon those variants; branches; ports [give it a name, what's it matter], with recent years seeing a rather ridiculous growth (what the Linux community would cite as the proper "distro" selection-- the boy-scouts' semantics, worth very little to the end user, and i digress).

I disagree with the suggestion to go about with capricious selection. Basing my opinion on my personal experience, and what I suspect a new user would likewise experience: it is process which will consume a great deal of time.

If I recall, the recommendation comes from a user-- what did he say-- operating a Quad-core box?... or... forgive me, i have poo-brain, swiss cheese from the rockstar years... and i digress, but-- i think he... (Bean?) remarked upon system performance in the 90th percentile, or above (?)... with such performance, i can appreciate a point of view to, essentially, try as many as are available, until satisfied, citing a particular "Debian" variant, known as Mint. I do not mean to discredit Mr Bean's advice; I beg your pardon. Please don't misunderstand: on the contrary, I applaud the User's enthusiasm, moreover the extensive text authored on the topic (haha... in a Windows software forum... hehe... sorry-- it's just amusing, is it not? hee hee... sorry... i guess thats "LOL", for y'all hipsters)...

Let me rephrase it. I'd like to embellish upon Mr Bean's enthusiasm, to report for the Prospective User, something of a context from which he or she might-- rather than whimsical selection-- make a slightly educated decision (emphasis on slightly, if i even make it that far...)

NOTE: I am FAR from expert member of the Linux community (likely rather a pariah, just as any new user should expect to become [6+ years of experience, notwithstanding], and so it goes; such is the cruel reality for the "other" in a world of "beautiful people", and i digress...)

Linux--

Red Hat Linux / Red Hat Enterprise (req. paid license, and-- running "Apache HTTPD Server"-- we might say-- created the World Wide Web-- and continued to power much of it, even into the 00's)

From "Red Hat Enterprise", spawns "Fedora Core", all "Free", or GNU, or some such-- i forget... but, to frame it in a certain light-- you don't play "mp3" on fedora. it's contrary to the philosophy. Of course, it's "your" system, so you do what you want-- and it is a HUGE pain in the *ss to get "proprietary" software (i.e. mp3) to work on the systems which subscribe to this ideology.

There are basically two camps: Fedora, and Debian. i am uncertain of debian's origin. They are quite dissimilar.

When i say "Debian", it includes Ubuntu, and Mint, and probably the majority of "distros" you'll find. Debian is not the "solid" system of choice, per the critical, hardcore *nix advocate.

Fedora is a much more "Linux" linux system. Other "Fedora"-like systems include SuSE, as far as I understand it. SuSE is $pay-ware, like Red Hat.

Oh-yeah! don't forget, there are a few super-nice $pay-ware Linux variants. I believe it used to be called "Lindows"... go from there.

Mandrake was another variant, i believe different from Debian and Fedora. It may be available as Mandriva. i forget (sorry, i say that too much, but...)

Mandiva/ Mandrake is SUPER-EASY to operate. Why am i not using it? doh! i forgot about it. well, i believe the community is less active.

Ubuntu is the safest bet, if the User seeks an active "community" of users; if the prospective User expects to find support, and acceptance as a Windows XPatriot, go Ubuntu. It's point-and-click; "idiot-proof", as the vulgar slang dictates.

well... that my two-cents... on top of two-thousand-cents... or, ... who's counting!? hehe...

Well, Mr Bean-- i hope you might correct my errors-- i suspect you are more active than i, and probably have a better brain. mine, all swiss-cheesy... so they say... ( mdma , college years, invincibility of youth, and i digress...)

NOTE: I am FAR from expert member of the Linux community'

yeh well i am a total new user!

your post is something else, and I have trouble reading it as to what you are saying or saying.

when I say try out different versions of Linux. its a broad wording. what I like or prefer some one other my not even like ,nor work.

but far from being stupid, do understand the many variants of this OS

and settle to the one called mint

why ?

its works very well on my system,having tried out 7 different variants of Linux(what ever thy go under) found this the better one to keep

for me this is purely ,and is a hobby and fun ,to now be able to use this type of Os,but mind you limited in what I know about it.

my usage is simply as a fun thing,and making light of,in my using ,plus learn as I go along,and post my excitement of what I found

nothing more or less

its more just chatting about what I found and tell the members who like to read the posts.

my main Os will always be windows.~~~as that I know back to front.

Linux is just something for a past time,and hobby.I find it different,and learning to use it very exciting,

So thank you for the post and hope its not a side swipe as I cant follow the meaning ~~ tho read it 5 times and I think you are being nice?

and not putting me down.

we simply chatting like 2 kids that found a new toy to play with and telling each other ,,Ohh did you know? look it can do this as well.

Mr bean

oh and I should of posted : welcome to our forum nice to meet you.

i ever download bubge of linux,includid old linix xp,than i throw them away.

don t ask wy.

so i download mini and pc linux

ile upload on mi old laptop.its b52 bomper no bomps soo heavy

see what happend.

i might play with internal if i can t connect to the internet.id wine software does t work

as fair linux i know nothing.yes know ubuntu bill gates is a fan.red hat a programer had it

suse.

in windows know to upload and connect.

and i do it for fun to.

lindows was ever a copy of windows 98 got seued forced to chnage

xp linux look like vista was like copy of vista.they change it to.

may i both wish good weekend and a shabbat shalom catch ya later

• 3 weeks later...

hi all

this is certainly interesting,and has been the last few weeks,as I, love strategy type games spent a lot of time reinstalling my old games and running them ,with Linux and win 7 dos box,and have 99% success running them.

with ether OS

for the ones interested.

one thing I found out and its simple if you know it.

when mounting the cdrom and letter, use -t instead of -it, and loads it perfectly

so for example mount d h:\ -t cdrom

MR Bean

• 1 month later...

I boot Linux or XP on laptop and for times when i have no net I have Linux handbook on my phone...

it's called Linux Commands, it ws in the free Droid Market.:smile:

Hope you can use this....

• 1 month later...

Well So far this is getting better and better

The reason I am posting again on This as it was polluted a bit , by a fly by. poster who came in with a lot of Jericho,trying ether to impress or show of.

and set me back a little,And thy wonder why Linux (whatever) is turn away from,reading postings like that.

never mind

I am happy to report things are super fine,now updated to the latest models,and with a few new eliminator,to run some win programs along side Linux as if it belonged to the same Os ,is so very COOL as the young ones put it.

so far 2 applications,Security programs That I use in windows run perfectly on Linux making it very secure! more so ,now looking to harden it more !

slowly starting to understand Installing from the net adding programs is interesting .

and a lot of fun.tweaking is mostly testing and i enjoy this very much.

any how

as I keep posting,try one out ,never mind the smart fly by,You just go ahead and try out the different ones on offer.

and pick the one you like..

Mr Bean

Hi all

well finally figured it out after trying 4 different types and I think that I must of Done So many installation's ,redo ,set test ,forget, how many times .but finally up and running,spending many hours reading and then applying different ideas.from different people,Watched a lot of U tube clips.and learned a fair bit as well

(All linux ) Gee there are some very good people out there that share Ideas!

What Impressed me was the Way many go about Doing there thing.

this is the Best I found for this sort of app in Linux. mater of fact it blocks better then any windows type.plus there is almost not probing ones system.

I downloaded 1 huge file 7 gig and there were very few hits .as in scanning the system.

snooping or Icmp hits.UDP a few compared to windows.Probably 70% less!

But I do have(program) helps filter, placed as well that helps to block any thing as well

When I say anything ITS in a broad wording,As nothing is fool Proof.

Any how you may want to try this on your Linux as well?? next to a fire wall this is very good ,and trust this, It will Block 100% any IP you add .or list .I have My own ,but you can get filters made up from the net.

Or start your own one.then add to it as the time passes.

One thing This is very different as to windows and bet no Linux is the same,I watched guys doing things I would not be game to do,on windows.

As always thank you for you time spent on my posts.

Mr Bean

First of all thank you all again for the interest shown..

as this is a fun Os that I now enjoy running and being new to it just jabbering away on what is I think interesting.

being a windows user the last 30 OD years,started of with win 3.00 yes

hasn't time flown by? and to see now the current version and Linux current versions,its amazing! the technology that's available today.

when I sit back and ponder over the applications and now Iobit programs how thy also are so very good now,the advances made its truly amazing !

what I wanted to talk about for the ones who do not know and I just discovered are the fusion (cubes) that rotate the desk top ,I know its been around a while but in Linux this is something super special.

you could if interested have a look on u tube and take a look at this,

by typing in * Linux cubes * and have a look there

Enjoy the demonstration. also win xp to win7 but not free ware,(pity)

not that I could find trying to see if there was.

Mr bean

• 2 weeks later...

hi all

here is a interesting point for the ones using a duil set up ,as in any win os and Linux

as I pointed out install Easy BCD boot loader

add a Linux entry

and you should get a menu pop up allowing you to pick ether OS

Now the trick is this if this fails check your pc setting (hit) del at boot

to as what disk boots first

if you are using say 2 or as I do 3 main hard drives and loaded it on the d:\ hard drive change the d: To boot in line first, in my case its on my large c:\ drive(Linux)

to boot first

and you get the menu up and running at booting time.

also For your consideration install wine as I pointed out be fore to run Winn application's not all will

but I have 5 running as if thy belong to Linux.

Mr Bean

Archived