IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

SmartDefrag vs PerfectDisk

SmartDefrag vs PerfectDisc

PerfectDisc has one function, that SmartDefrag has not: "Off-Line Defrag" ( = Defrag at Boot-time ), when system-locked files can be defragmented ( and the pagefile(s) ).

I have Win XP Home SP2, and for some reason PerfectDisc does no "off-line" defrag on my computer!

Instead I have O&O Defrag v.8.5. (old now). I can do "off-line" defrag with it. I have tried updates of O&O Defrag, but with the same errors as PerfectDisk!

O&O Defrag 8.5 cannot handle big data disks, so I am using it only for my small c-drive, where I have my system files. For my big data disks, where "off-line" defrag is not needed, I have used Auslogics Disk Defrag until now! I have

on the 11 Sept installed SmartDefrag v.1.0, and it seems, that it will substitute Auslogics.

Note, that O&O Defrag and PerfectDisk are sharewares, but Auslogics and SmartDefrag are freewares!

Use "Normal Sense" (Common sense isn't common anymore)

Similar to Spyware programs, there are a ton of Defragmenting programs. The question is always the same--which ones work the best? Paid or free? In some cases the answer can only be found through extensive testing, while in other cases the answers are staring us right in the face. Consider you have a huge punch bowl filled with 500,000 M&M's. Their are 100,000 RED M&M's. Each RED M&M is numbered 1 thru 100,000 and of course they are all mixed up (Fragmented) in the bowl. Your task? Find all 100,000 RED M&M's and lay them out on the table (your disk) in order from #1 to #100,000. A standard run of the mill Defragmenting program will indeed sort out the RED M&M's, but not in order. This is good because all the RED M&M's are now on one section of your disk and the track head has much less seeking to do to find them---but your track head STILL has to sort through all 100,000 RED M&M's to find the numbers it is looking for because they are not in order. Keep in mind that there are still 400,000 M&M's of different colors that have to be dealt with! In enters "Optimization". The better programs do it in different ways, but the attempt is the same---to sort out all the RED M&M's and to ALSO put them in order by number. The program that claims to do this best is Ultimate Defrag (both free and paid), however I had many questions with UD and the Company refuses to answer them unless I pay for the full version. Then there is O&O Defrag, and PerfectDisk, and Diskeeper and many, many others. To date, in my experience, the most efficient Defragging programs are the FREE ones, being the free version of ULtimateDefrag, JKDefrag and------Iobit's SmartDefrag. I will tell you may favorite feature in a moment, but I can tell you that if you just want to keep your HOME system clean and as fast as possible, there is no need for an "always on" program--one that constantly is defragging in the background. That's too much bloat and too many resources slowing you down. You want a "small footprint" efficiently coded program that both defrags AND optimizes--when you ask it to---or when you SCHEDULE it to defrag. SmartDefrag does this very well. UD does it also, but the nicest feature of both programs is that they use the Windows Task Scheduler which is built into Windows anyway. My favorite feature----I can program SmartDefrag to do its thing and go to bed. It will Defrag and Optimize and then shut down my System--no need for me to wait around until it's done. For "Boot Optimization", try defragmenting in "SAFE" mode. Some defragmenting programs will do this and it is basically the same thing as "Boot Optimization". By the way, if your Page file gets messed up (fragmented), there are two good ways to handle that. One is to uninstall your page file--reboot--and then reinstall, and the other, which is my favorite, is a small program created and coded by Mark Russinovich called aptly "Pagedfrg" and is now a part of "Sysinternals"-------which was bought out by a company you may have heard of--Microsoft! Pagedfrg is a free program that does exactly what it says it will do! Strange, in this day and age, to find a program that is coded extremely well and does exactly what it is supposed to do. So, I would not spend any money on a Defragmenting program--or an antiVirus program--or a Firewall. I've been doing this soooo long (too long) that my main concerns now are with System stability and a Company's "willingness to help" should the need arise. The Company "Disktrix" who makes UltimateDefrag fails miserably in the area of Tech support unless you buy their program--and they tell you that up front. Iobit is a totally different Ball Game with their willingness to help and answer questions. With a normal Home Computer, I would use only SmartDefrag, program SmartDefrag on a schedule, and get on with life without worrying about Defragmentation! Don't eat the M&M's.

What's the difference between SmartDefrag and Raxco PerfectDisk? Does SmartDefrag consolidate free space when using Defrag and Optimize?

ISD is new, known internationally and, works marvels for all known and unknown brands of PCs.;-)

RPD is old, unknown internationally + known only to locals of where the software was sold and, I have no idea if it works good or not-never heard or seen it before. Will never recommend to anyone, ever.:-(

Yes, it does consolidate free space when using Defrag and Optimize. But, it will not compress the files into the free clusters, closer to the center of the drive though. The files will remain in their original format, as they were, when they were installed/written down onto the surface of your main HD.

8-)

PerfectDisc has one function, that SmartDefrag has not: "Off-Line Defrag" ( = Defrag at Boot-time ), when system-locked files can be defragmented ( and the pagefile(s) ).

I have Win XP Home SP2, and for some reason PerfectDisc does no "off-line" defrag on my computer!

Instead I have O&O Defrag v.8.5. (old now). I can do "off-line" defrag with it. I have tried updates of O&O Defrag, but with the same errors as PerfectDisk!

O&O Defrag 8.5 cannot handle big data disks, so I am using it only for my small c-drive, where I have my system files. For my big data disks, where "off-line" defrag is not needed, I have used Auslogics Disk Defrag until now! I have

on the 11 Sept installed SmartDefrag v.1.0, and it seems, that it will substitute Auslogics.

Note, that O&O Defrag and PerfectDisk are sharewares, but Auslogics and SmartDefrag are freewares!

Yes I would like the OFF Line Defrag that is in Perfect Disk. I have it and Smart Defrag and they do work the same except for the off line which does a system reboot. Sort of refreshing the computer automatically. The biggest difference is Smart Defrag is free and works well with a Task Schedule. Now if we could have the OFF line added to the scheduler, then Perfect disk would be a thing of the past for me. You stated "I have Win XP Home SP2, and for some reason PerfectDisc does no "off-line" defrag on my computer! It works for me and I have the same setup.

Archived