IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Stop VSS when defragmenting NTFS volume?

About this parameter, the description read as follows:

"It will temporary stop VSS when defragmenting to protect your current VSS backup and your VSS after the defrag is completed"

But what are the CONS and PROS?

I guess that if enabled, the HDD can be further optimized and defraged, but the VSS will get compromised/corrupted

and if disabled, the VSS will remain intact but the HDD will not be 100% optimized & defraged

Please clarify

Thanks

Hello ektorbarajas,

Welcome to our forum. It is my pleasure to answer your question.

"It will temporary stop VSS when defragmenting to protect your current VSS backup and your VSS after the defrag is completed" . It is designed to avoid the loss of restore point.

Have a good time.

• 1 year later...
Hi there,

It will defrag NTFS as well. But if you tick this option and there is VSS on NTFS, the VSS service will be stopped when defragging.

Cheers.

Thanks for that, but this makes me wonder:

Why this setting is not enabled by default or as a recommended setting? Any reason for that? Any side effect?

• 9 months later...

iobit: what is the status of this pending item?

• Why this setting is not enabled by default or as a recommended setting? Any reason for that? Any side effect?

perhaps when this setting is disabled, the C drive can be further defragmented and optimized Vs. having this setting enabled?

• 2 weeks later...

@Cicely so I guess that if this option is enabled, this will avoid the loss of restore points BUT will also prevent Smart Defrag to fully or further defrag the main C drive. So it is up to the user to decide and choose either to preserve the restore points OR to loose them but allow SD to further defrag the system drive, correct?

• 4 months later...