IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

No continuous space

Hi guys, I'm using the latest version of Smart Defrag and I want to defrag my Games folder, but it doesn't matter which method I chose because it simply won't defrag certain files.

I get the No continuous space "error" as a result, every time it happens for the same files. The files are from Titanfall 2 and Quantum Break. There are 2 files from Titanfall 2, one has 9.28Gb and the other 10.40 Gb, and one file from Quantum Break which has 52.66Gb. Both games are installed on a 1Tb HDD which isn't split in other partitions, it's just one 931GB partition and for the moment it has 144GB free space.

Can someone explain why is this happening, does it have anything to do with the free space on my HDD?

Free space and continuous are not the same thing. Free space is simply the amount of space that has nothing assigned to it. This could be scattered in pieces allover the disc.

Continuous space is blocks of the disc that are in one piece without any used space between.

Have you done a complete disc defrag and optimise first in order to gain the most Free space. This should then defrag the games files.

Also, if a file is in use either by the user or the system it cannot be defragged. So ensure that all processes attached to the game are stopped before defragging.

Also check your settings in Smart Defrag and ensure that you have not selected the "Skip Files Larger Than ??GB.

Also check what is allocate in your Windows setting for Recycle bin and system restore. This is often defaulted to 10% of your disc which is very close to your 144GB. If this is the case, then defrag will see that it is not available. .

Ty for your answer, I didn't tried to defrag the entire HDD, I'll try that, I don't have system restore activated, it's off for all partitions, Recycle Bin has on every partition the option to directly remove the files and the option to skip larger files is off in Smart Defrag. I'll try to defrag the entire HDD and I'll tell the results.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hello Amaregaz,

This is Cicely from IObit.

Could you please send us a screenshot of the issue?

Waiting for your reply.

I am not the OP, but I am also having this issue. I am unable to defragment past 15.79% fragmentation, nor am I able to get past the 11% progress mark on any of my defrag passes. It refuses to defrag anything over a gigabite (and I do not even have that feature turned on), and when I check the detail report, it tells me those particular files weren't defragged because there wasn't enough continuous space. I have tried running the free space defragger, as well as the optimized/prioritized defrags, as well as the boot time defrag (which didn't seem to do much anyway) and nothing has resolved the issue. Also, occasionally the fragmentation percentage goes back up after running the analyzer directly after a defrag.

I uploaded a screenshot of my report.

I am not the OP, but I am also having this issue. I am unable to defragment past 15.79% fragmentation, nor am I able to get past the 11% progress mark on any of my defrag passes. It refuses to defrag anything over a gigabite (and I do not even have that feature turned on), and when I check the detail report, it tells me those particular files weren't defragged because there wasn't enough continuous space. I have tried running the free space defragger, as well as the optimized/prioritized defrags, as well as the boot time defrag (which didn't seem to do much anyway) and nothing has resolved the issue. Also, occasionally the fragmentation percentage goes back up after running the analyzer directly after a defrag.

I uploaded a screenshot of my report.

In order for us to assist you, we need more info, such as the size of your disc (or the partition you are trying to defrag) and how much free space you actually have on the disc (partition).

Hello Amaregaz,

Besides the information Scannan mentioned, please also follow the steps below to give us more information so that we can further look into the issue.

1. Download the tool from: http://testdemo.iobit.com/SD5InfoHelper.exe

2. Double click to run this tool and click “Save report to Desktop”. You will get a zipped file IObit_Debug_Info.zip on your desktop.

3. Send the file IObit_Debug_Info.zip to us.

Thanks.

Archived