IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Defrag system directories

I have been using IObit SmartDefrag for a while (great product by the way) and always wondered what “Defrag system directories” is. The default option has it un-clicked, but should it be? Would allowing ISD to defrag system directories be wise or what not? Thanks in advance.

These are your important system folders... I don't have this set to defrag myself because of possible instability (although I cannot say for sure). For the meanwhile I suggest you don't check this option unless you are testing ISD and not just using it because it is a freebie. To fully defrag and optimize your disk, perform a comprehensive defrag and these files will be defragmented and optimized as well (and more thoroughly than in auto defrag)

• 2 weeks later...

I have had defrag system files on for over a week now and works great. Puter is even faster. Thanks IOBit for an awesome program. I have un-installed Norton's prgs in favor of this "all in one favorite". By the way I'm running XP w/SP2 :-P

Hi again. Uninstalling Norton was not a good idea unless you still have another anti-virus software. AWC is not anti-virus as of yet so you should install some anti-virus if you don't have it already. I recommend AVAST! Anti-virus Home Edition

• 5 weeks later...

I've been using IOBit for over a month with "Defrag System Directories" checked, no problems at all.

I'm not sure this is the reason for the checkbox or not, but in theory, you shouldn't need to defrag system directories. System directories are just that... directories that hold your system files. Since your system files should only be changed when you are installing an update or a service pack, theoretically they never need to be defragged except after an update or a service pack install. Realistically though, software (both legimate and malware) have a tendency to write to and replace files in the system directories. This is what causes many system instabilities. (For example, after testing their product extensively, the makers of ProgramA decide that Important.dll version 2.2 works best with ProgramA and therefore include it in the software's install program. When ProgramA is installed, Important.dll version 2.2 overwrites version 1.5 that ProgramB and ProgramC require to run because they're older applications that don't work with the new features of Important.dll version 2.2. When ProgramB is launched, it gives an error and blue screens the computer. ProgramC is not as old as ProgramB, so when it's launched, there is no error. However, the version incompatibilities cause ProgramC to use more RAM than it normally does and it doesn't release it when it's finished. This eventually causes the system to run out of memory and crash. The makers of ProgramA don't care about this because they don't make ProgramB or ProgramC and ProgramA is working fine.)

Wow. That may be the most complicated example I've ever come up with. Sorry if that made you more confused than before you read it.

Archived