IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

SmartDefrag Beta5 yeh but no but ...

Yeh I like idea of autodefrag in the background :-P but no I don't like the lack of methods available for optimization :cry:. For some of my disks, a simple file defrag and free-space consolidation is just what I want but for my C: drive I like to choose file placement according to the date of last file access (using O&O Defrag Pro) which gives truly excellent results i.e. when starting an application, the disk access LED lights up - goes out - the application window appears very quickly - no sound from the disk drive - awesome! I would love to see some choice of optimization methods available in the next SmartDefrag.

Also, SmartDefrag does not detect disks/flash drives attached via USB ??? :cry: I must admit that O&O Defrag Pro has the same problem, but the standard Windows XP defrag can do the biz so what is the problem here? Windows XP defrag will also spot the flash RAM in my digital camera and the same thing in my mobile phone (not that I am bothered about defragging those particularly). Am I missing something?

Apart from this, the new Beta 5 seems to be working well enough. Give me long enough and I will probably find a sneaky way of breaking it!

About it not detecting flash drives:

They did the right thing. Defragging them has no real benefit and also wears them out quicker than normal.

Agreed to some extent. In my view, the primary reason for defragmenting is to reduce head movement in disk drives which can result in premature mechanical failure. Obviously that does not apply to solid-state flash drives (how can you "wear out" a flash memory chip? I do not know exactly how an EEPROM works). However, I have a number of portable 300Gb storage devices which have a USB interface. These actually contain a standard IDE disk drive and so reducing head movement in these devices is highly desirable.

BTW I am testing the new Beta software with a 300Gb IDE disk drive. I removed it from the portable case with the USB interface. :!:

• 2 years later...

Archived