IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Suggestions for Smart Defrag v2

samr

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try out and comment.

Just install and tried. The layout is better than v.1. It seems work faster.

No error message so far. I reduce the use freq. of the previous one because it takes so long, 3-4 hrs. Strangely no obvious improvement or benefit has made from the previous version. I will continue to try this version and report the results.

cheers, and thank you IObit

:-P:-P

Hi fjc

Please also inform us about your OS and the state of your disks - free space and capacity (preferably in percentage)

Cheers

solbjerg

Just install and tried. The layout is better than v.1. It seems work faster.

No error message so far. I reduce the use freq. of the previous one because it takes so long, 3-4 hrs. Strangely no obvious improvement or benefit has made from the previous version. I will continue to try this version and report the results.

cheers, and thank you IObit

:-P:-P

What do you Mean by "portable"?

A portable device type that does not have Windows operating-system?

Or do you mean you want to run it from a flash-drive or memory-card?

I want to run it from a flash-drive or memory-card (no install in system)

I want to run it from a flash-drive or memory-card (no install in system)

Have you tried to run it from a flash drive?

If so, What happened?

I've Not tried that, but I may want to someday. So, that would be good to know.

I sometimes help friends fix their computers and that could come in handy.

It seems to me that it should run Okay from a Flash-drive or memory-card, since it's just another drive to the OS ?

Have you tried to run it from a flash drive?

If so, What happened?

I've Not tried that, but I may want to someday. So, that would be good to know.

I sometimes help friends fix their computers and that could come in handy.

It seems to me that it should run Okay from a Flash-drive or memory-card, since it's just another drive to the OS ?

you understand me, I suggest that you made (IOBIT) a smart defrag portable for use without installation

portable software

explanation:portable

Not require any kind of formal installation onto a computer's permanent storage device to be executed, and can be stored on a removable storage device such as USB flash drive, enabling it to be used on multiple computers.

Free software Must be Installed on a drive somewhere (either internal or external), or it can Not be loaded and Ran.

So, I'm guessing that you have Not Tried running SD from a portable drive, correct?

If no one else reports having tried that soon, I will attempt it.

We Retired guys have some time to Play with stuff like that. :lol:

Free software Must be Installed on a drive somewhere (either internal or external), or it can Not be loaded and Ran.

So, I'm guessing that you Not Tried running SD from a portable drive, correct?

If no one else reports having tried that soon, I will attempt it.

We Retired guys have some time to Play with stuff like that. :lol:

you not understand what it means portable software

because probably you never use portable software

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_application

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_portable_software

Yes, I know what it is and have Run many programs from flash-drives.

(It appears my comments may not be Translated properly?)

I went ahead and tried an install of version-1.5 to a flash-drive.

The SD install routine does Not give the option of where to Install it.

It defaults to the c: drive.

Having a location option, in the Install routine, is probably what you are asking for?

After install to C:drive I was able to Copy the IObit Folder from C: drive To the flash-drive and then run SD from the flash-drive tho.

The only problem I saw when doing that is that it was much Slower loading and running than it is from c:drive.

If you really Need to run it from a Flash-drive it appears that it Can be done if it is Copied to that drive.

I hope that helps,

There are other software developers using that round type graph Already.

We don't want IObit to be accused of Copying their work. :-P

and Personally I think the square graph is easier to read and more practical use of space, altho, as you say, it may not be as Pretty and Cool. ;-)

I would not call the version-2-beta blocks 'Boring' tho, which are a big improvement over v1.5 blocks.

Hi aeri31820, you mean like Ultimate Defrag? Well, all the naggers start saying that it is borrowed :-P:lol: (you understand what I mean) from an other company.

I like the idea and have been using UD since the first day, but the new GUI of Smart Defrag 2 is gorgeous IMHO. Expect it to become better though.:smile:

Cheers.

EDIT: You beat me Toppack.

It would be nice if Smart Defrag's Boot Time Defrag displayed the estimated boot time (showing time to boot before and after Boot Defrag).

Soluto is a boot optimizer program that does a nice job of it, if you want to see one type of implementation of this feature.

ps. Love IOBit's Products... and think Hugo's baby is cute!8:)

Boca Dave

Boot time defrag produced no measurable improvement in boot time on my PC (Windows 7, 6 GB Ram, Dual core intel processor).

Perhaps this is due to my regular use of the "standard" (non-beta) Smart Defrag, or due to my use of Soluto as a boot time optimizer.

Keep up the flow of great products from IOBit! :-D

Boca Dave

Hi BocaDave,

According to this post Boot Defrag does not yet work in this beta version. (It begs the question why include the GUI for same if not yet ready eh, go figure. ;-))

Looking forward to the next release of the beta, and hopefully specific features will work better. Smart Defrag has and continues to shape up. Looking good.

Laurence

Thank you Laurence!

It is also mentioned in Usage of IObit Products :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi BocaDave,

According to this post Boot Defrag does not yet work in this beta version. (It begs the question why include the GUI for same if not yet ready eh, go figure. ;-))

Looking forward to the next release of the beta, and hopefully specific features will work better. Smart Defrag has and continues to shape up. Looking good.

Laurence

Hi Tryst

Please read Think about defragmentation

Your problem sounds like you do not have sufficient free space left.

17 GB you say -ok, but out of how many? If you have a 300 GB disk it only amounts to less than 6%, whereas at least 15% is needed.

If this is the case you should move some of your data i.e. videos to another harddisk to create sufficient space on the one that won't defrag now.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. BTW have you chosen the setting to have the program ignore large files

Defrag Free Space.

Move all free space to the end of the drive to create one large contigious block.

Reason:

Most of the time, it still shows a large number of red blocks even after a defrag. This makes me thing it hasn't done anything more than moved a few small files around.

When I have done it with large files on the drive (>2Gb), it is saying there is not enough space, even though there is 17gb free. The big problem is that the free space is not one contigious block so it can't move it to an alternative location, (evidently not as smart as you call it). Norton Tools used to move it to a temp location and then back again which meant it could be spread across several free spaces temporarily until a single contigious block could be made to put it back into. Without a huge data area to store the info about where pieces have been put if it was spread over several smaller free spaces, defragging free space to the end first would allow 2 or more files to be moved to create the single long space required to put the large file back into as a contigious block.

Hi Tryst

Please read Think about defragmentation

Your problem sounds like you do not have sufficient free space left.

17 GB you say -ok, but out of how many? If you have a 300 GB disk it only amounts to less than 6%, whereas at least 15% is needed.

If this is the case you should move some of your data i.e. videos to another harddisk to create sufficient space on the one that won't defrag now.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. BTW have you chosen the setting to have the program ignore large files

OK just to clear this up.

The disk is a 150gb partition with 17gb free. I removed 10gb to make some more space but the files on the disk were so fragmented that it still didn't leave a 3gb contigious block. I had to move a further 12gb to get one to create 39gb in total free space to do the job, over 25%.

The largest file that needed defragmenting was 3gb, no I didnt have large files ignored at all.

Norton Disk Tools used to move all free space to the end of the disk on request, this ability in SD would have given me a 3gb contigious block without even needing to remove the 10gb to begin with. If SD had this ability, I could have done the complete defrag with only 6 to 7gb available space (around 5% free). In fact, Norton used to juggle single blocks if there was not enough free space on the disk to move entire files (binary sorting), it takes far longer but it still gets the job done.

I long for the day when I can find a defrag program that will leave my disk in a nice neat state instead of scattering files all over it, defragmented but not defragging the free space into one contigious block as well.

Hi Tryst

Ok you started with a disk where 11,33% were free - this would have made the Windows defragmenter say that it could not defragment the disk due to insufficient free space.

You then moved to 18% free space - did you throw in a full chkdsk before the defragmentation attempt?

You then moved to 26% free space - and apparently that was sufficient by you. Congratulation :-)

In my opinion one should never fill a disk more than 75% - I prefer less

- the more full it is the easier it defragments they say.

You have the opportunity to switch to a SSD computer, that way you don't even have to think about defragging :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

OK just to clear this up.

The disk is a 150gb partition with 17gb free. I removed 10gb to make some more space but the files on the disk were so fragmented that it still didn't leave a 3gb contigious block. I had to move a further 12gb to get one to create 39gb in total free space to do the job, over 25%.

The largest file that needed defragmenting was 3gb, no I didnt have large files ignored at all.

Norton Disk Tools used to move all free space to the end of the disk on request, this ability in SD would have given me a 3gb contigious block without even needing to remove the 10gb to begin with. If SD had this ability, I could have done the complete defrag with only 6 to 7gb available space (around 5% free). In fact, Norton used to juggle single blocks if there was not enough free space on the disk to move entire files (binary sorting), it takes far longer but it still gets the job done.

I long for the day when I can find a defrag program that will leave my disk in a nice neat state instead of scattering files all over it, defragmented but not defragging the free space into one contigious block as well.

:-P I've been using it about a week. No problems... Great job of implementation! Congratulations again!

I have two suggestions:

The legend displays a definition when you hover a mouse over a colored square near the lower left corner of the display, just to the right of "Map:". That's nice.

An improvement would be to have the same result (display of a definition) by hovering your mouse over any one of the 100s(1000s?) of colored squares on the display grid itself.

Also, the label "Map" probably should be renamed "Legend", which is common American-English language usage. "Map" normally refers to the larger display (that 1000+ grid of colored squares).

Dave Dickler a/k/a BocaDave

(Sorry, its hard to describe in words. hopefully you'll get my meaning).