IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Newly installed: Smart Defrag just hangs

ToastedSpider

This is on a WinXp, SP3, Dell box (not a laptop).

I had had Diskeeper installed, removed it today.

Installed Smart Defrag (ver 2.1, current available download)

The first time I launched, I asked SD to analyze my boot drive - it got to 70% and then stopped. The UI was very unresponsive (although it could quit OK).

Rebooted.

Attempted to analyze again - stuck at 0%, and the UI is very unresponsive again. E.g. clicking on Volume once, all other drives are then checked. But - I can't uncheck any of these (one at a time or by the volume button again)

Scroll bar for top panel listing my drives is then frozen, etc.

Have tried this numerous times, numerous reboots - same results. Have run this w/AV turned off, etc. - same results.

Thus far, not too happy, was hoping this would live up to CNet's recommendation...

Suggestions?

Hi Toppack,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Ran chkdsk, logs indicated some minor stuff, but nothing blatant (but I also do not claim to be an expert).

Reran SD/analyze, and it did complete successfully - a good step forward.

But, the UI is messed up again. There's a list of results (fragmented files and directories), but the scroll bar won't let me scroll; the "thumb" stays up at the top.

Well - actually about 3 minutes after writing this, the text scrolled, and then is frozen again. The menu bar (skin, settings, support) is slightly more "active", but I can't click the checkboxes under Volume...

Maybe if I wait another 3 or 4 minutes, they'll respond. The rest of the apps on the machine still behave normally, no delays...

Thoughts?

Jerry

FWIW, installed to a 2nd (newer) machine running Win7 HP, 64. This is working normally (at least in my first pass with the boot disk).

Interested to see how it'll help with some of our large external USB 3.0 drives...

Just wish the WinXP box was acting normally...

Thanks,

j

Hi ToastedSpider

Please send a number of screenshots of your settings.

Cheers

solbjerg

FWIW, installed to a 2nd (newer) machine running Win7 HP, 64. This is working normally (at least in my first pass with the boot disk).

Interested to see how it'll help with some of our large external USB 3.0 drives...

Just wish the WinXP box was acting normally...

Thanks,

j

• 3 weeks later...

UI Transparency is a problem on Win XP

This is on a WinXp, SP3, Dell box (not a laptop).

I had had Diskeeper installed, removed it today.

Installed Smart Defrag (ver 2.1, current available download)

The first time I launched, I asked SD to analyze my boot drive - it got to 70% and then stopped. The UI was very unresponsive (although it could quit OK).

Rebooted.

Attempted to analyze again - stuck at 0%, and the UI is very unresponsive again. E.g. clicking on Volume once, all other drives are then checked. But - I can't uncheck any of these (one at a time or by the volume button again)

Scroll bar for top panel listing my drives is then frozen, etc.

Have tried this numerous times, numerous reboots - same results. Have run this w/AV turned off, etc. - same results.

Thus far, not too happy, was hoping this would live up to CNet's recommendation...

Suggestions?

The issue is the way the Smart Defrag UI interacts with Win XP. The solution I have found is to go to Settings -> User Interface; move the Transparency slider a little, then click Recommended, then click OK. Smart Defrag should work perfectly until your next reboot. I think there is an issue with Win XP and the way transparency is implemented causing the UI to appear to be frozen.

Please let me know if this helps you.

-= Einstein =-

• 2 years later...
The issue is the way the Smart Defrag UI interacts with Win XP. The solution I have found is to go to Settings -> User Interface; move the Transparency slider a little, then click Recommended, then click OK. Smart Defrag should work perfectly until your next reboot. I think there is an issue with Win XP and the way transparency is implemented causing the UI to appear to be frozen.

Please let me know if this helps you.

-= Einstein =-

This worked for me, thanks.

IObit Smart Defrag 3, Win XP

Archived