IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Smart Defrag 2.3 uses 150MB RAM

cattledogit

On XP Home it uses 150MB of memory according to task manager. High memory usage is usually noticed after the system has been running for several days. No changes have been made to SD's default settings, and this was seen on SD 2.2 as well. Automatic Defrag is enabled on 250GB partition of 500GB drive that has 50GB of space remaining. No other partition or drive has defrag enabled.

Hi cattledogit

By me it uses 20 Mb and generally less than 30% CPU - it did hit 75% once for a second.

Your free space numbers are not clear to me - do you have 50GB free space on the partition or do you have 50 GB free space on the entire harddisk

If it is the last you do not reach the recommended minimum of 15% free space.

With that amount of used space you probably have very many videoes saved.

I use XP too.

Cheers

solbjerg

On XP Home it uses 150MB of memory according to task manager. High memory usage is usually noticed after the system has been running for several days. No changes have been made to SD's default settings, and this was seen on SD 2.2 as well. Automatic Defrag is enabled on 250GB partition of 500GB drive that has 50GB of space remaining. No other partition or drive has defrag enabled.

Hi cattledogit

High memory usage is usually noticed after the system has been running for several days.

Are you saying that you have the auto-defrag enabled and that over several days the memory consumption increases to this level (150MB)?

Also you have posted a statement. Do you have a particular question?

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Thank you for your responses.

Melvin Deal wrote:

> Also you have posted a statement. Do you have a particular question?

Is 150MB memory usage normal? I assumed that usage this high must be due to a bug or memory leak because CNET's review says "the program barely uses as much as 25MB of RAM" (http://download.cnet.com/Smart-Defrag/3000-2094_4-10759533.html).

If it's normal, I'll stop using auto-defrag.

> Are you saying that you have the auto-defrag enabled and that over several days the memory consumption increases to this level (150MB)?

I think so, at least I've never noticed high memory consumption in the first day or two after a restart. I'm not sure whether it always increases to 150MB after a few days.

solbjerg wrote:

> Your free space numbers are not clear to me - do you have 50GB free space on the partition or do you have 50 GB free space on the entire harddisk

50GB is free on the 250MB partition. The other partition is almost empty, at least for now.

Hi cattledogit.

Thanks for the information!!!

That is high RAM consumption for SmartDefrag and is not usual.

How long have you been using SmartDefrag? Have you been installing the new version over the top of the old one for awhile?

Sinverely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Hi cattledogit

I think this thread is related, - please read enoskypes explanation

http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=12423

Cheers

solbjerg

Thank you for your responses.

Melvin Deal wrote:

> Also you have posted a statement. Do you have a particular question?

Is 150MB memory usage normal? I assumed that usage this high must be due to a bug or memory leak because CNET's review says "the program barely uses as much as 25MB of RAM" (http://download.cnet.com/Smart-Defrag/3000-2094_4-10759533.html).

If it's normal, I'll stop using auto-defrag.

> Are you saying that you have the auto-defrag enabled and that over several days the memory consumption increases to this level (150MB)?

I think so, at least I've never noticed high memory consumption in the first day or two after a restart. I'm not sure whether it always increases to 150MB after a few days.

solbjerg wrote:

> Your free space numbers are not clear to me - do you have 50GB free space on the partition or do you have 50 GB free space on the entire harddisk

50GB is free on the 250MB partition. The other partition is almost empty, at least for now.

Melvin Deal wrote:

> How long have you been using SmartDefrag? Have you been installing the new version over the top of the old one for awhile?

I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling but I may have already tried that with the 2.2 version. I didn't use auto-defrag prior to 2.2, and 2.2 was my first 2.x version. I don't recall what version I had installed prior to 2.2.

solbjerg wrote:

> I think this thread is related, - please read enoskypes explanation

http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=12423

I don't use any other memory optimiizers or other IObit products, just Smart Defrag.

Thanks!

I'd left SD running since my original post above, and just noticed that now "Mem Usage" is down to 8MB while VM Size remains at 157MB as before. Mem usage must have dropped in last 8 hours or so. Previously when I've seen high memory usage I've restarted SD so I haven't seen this behavior before.

• 2 months later...

Melvin Deal wrote:

> How long have you been using SmartDefrag? Have you been installing the new version over the top of the old one for awhile?

I eventually uninstalled Smart Defrag and (re)installed v. 2.3. Currently Mem Usage is 155MB and VM Size is 160MB so the problem is still present.

Is there any explanation other than a possible memory leak?

Archived