IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Y U No Work :<

cmjf0013

OK, first thing this isn't like, top priority or anything, I don't have the program any more, but I'm really missing the optimizing feature, but this thing, well, it don't even defrag as good as my default program, is this normal to have like, HALF THE BOXES RED even after its completly done? the ad said this thing defraged way better than the default windows defragmentor, so whats the deal? is my pc being older have anything to do with this? and if not, is the program NOT mean't to replace the usage of the default? thanks in advance for the info on this, and I would also like the oppinions of others, not just the admins and (official) staff, what do you guys think? I do have games on there, some unmovvable files, but even with those, it will still work better if I use the default, and also, what can I do to find what the unmovable files are? I'm REALLY thinking I can do better defrags if I can find a way to exclude these files from the defrag process. thanks everybody, and don't forget to thank our friendly neighborhood spid... wait, i'm sorry, IObit peoplz for making all this possible and the forum pplz for taking there time to help idiots like me 8:) thats right, first step to recovery is admitting theres a problem lmfao

ps: I can redownload it and scan, and post a screenshot of the end result after the first defrag, if that would help show what I mean

how do I find out what my default engine is? Sorry I didn't even think about that, I looked for the info I needed on defraging in the forum and couldn't find what I was looking for. then looked for google, I didn't understand the info I found

Hi cmjf

I suppose you are now talking about the default Windows Defragmentation that are a part of the Windows Install program?.

Asking about SmartDefrag - and then uninstalling the program seems a bit inconsiderate/rude, - it seems superfluous to answer a question when there is in no need for help since you do not use the program.

To me it seems that almost all possible questions already have been asked and answered - why defragging sometimes can take a long time has been answered many times and likewise why so many red squares are seen has been answered many many times. And many many more questions and answers. Which is why we advise you to read about it instead of repeating the same questions that the forum has seen again and again.

Please read Usage of IObit Products and also Thinking about defragmentation both have a link in my signature.

(+ find all topics that touches the subject defragmentation)

How did you uninstall SD - a clean uninstall? (do you know what that means - otherwise an explanation can be found in Usage of IObit Products too)

Furthermore if you ask about defragmentation you ought to tell us first and foremost the OS in your computer the size of your harddisk and specify that into used space and free space - possibly just free space - provided that you write it as a percentage of the total size of the harddisk, - and if your computer has many very large files (videoes, pictures etc.)

What more specifically did you not understand concerning the info??

Cheers

solbjerg

how do I find out what my default engine is? Sorry I didn't even think about that, I looked for the info I needed on defraging in the forum and couldn't find what I was looking for. then looked for google, I didn't understand the info I found

oh ok, I just hoped on to check everything I have to get up tomorrow pretty early so I'm going to bed, but when I have a chance, I will give all of your info and read all that stuff, ALSO, I am really wanting to redownload it, but if its not right for my computer, I also want to see what I can do to make it work, I am a huge fan of all of IObits products, if I had enough room, I would have everything you guys have, paid version, even if it wasn't needed, you guys are amazing, and I'm not trying to be rude or inconsitersate, I'm going to re download it if I can make it work, I really hope this isn't a pointless reply, I am very busy and sore from today, but I wanted you to know I did read your message, I will get back to you some time tomorrow, thanks

I have read your information you gave me, and I'm even more confused, GOD I AM SO FREAKING STUPID... I can't believe I'm asking this, but what was half of that on enoskypes post meaning? About thinking about defrag?, this is the information you might need, and I also tried to use the search, I still can't find what I'm looking for, I am actually really embarresed, I'm not looking for perfection on this, I just want to know whats up with it, um, my os is

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600)

and the system model is Compaq Presario v5000 (EZ43OUA#ABA)

I don't know if the system model is even needed, now as for the hard disk, this is the information you mentioned:

used space: 40.4 GB

free space: 7.45 GB

I'm not too sure on what the BIG files are on here, I do know I have a few games that ACTUALLY PLAY downloaded

I can't figure out what program shows me what the BIG files are, I had used something to find out once, but it turned my os upside down along time ago, I haven't researched it since, and I also (pointless information aside) DON'T use google chrome, it messed my mommas computer up. simple short story is, what is up with the problem I am having of the default defrag being more powerfull than the IObit? Or is it just something that was wrong with my computer? I REALLY want that program back, but I'm worring about whats taking up memory, so I don't want any programs that I can't use for the best on my computer, Thanks, and please, I'm not trying to be rude or anything, I do plan on redownloading it if I find out whats wrong, and if its normal to have over half of the squares be red after the program runs, then so be it, I'll download it again, but I'm thinking it might not be compatible with something I'm using

thanks for the help, CJ Fischer

Hi cmjf

If I come across a link to a post that gives you the most thorough explanation about the red squares (fragmented), I will give it to you, but I will not seach actively for it right now - because I will not deprive you of that pleasure :-) .

But I can say right now that the reason you have many of them probably is that you do not have sufficient contiguous space to have your largest files defragged and that they therefore can't be properly defragged.

The reason for that became apparent when you told us how much free and used space you have.

According to that you only have 15.5% free space - the minimum amount of free space is usually recommended to be at least 15%.

When you hit the 15% in the default Windows defrag it will tell you that it cannot defrag your harddisk because you do not have sufficient free space.

(when you have installed/saved an additionally 300 MB you will get that message)

(let's say you have a couple of hundred pictures in your picture folder from a fairly new camera - then just zipping that folder will bring you under the defragmentation limit.)

The obvious solution to that is to create more free space by freeing up some more space - uninstall not needed large programs - or for example to gain some space by lowering the amount of used space for Windows system restore points. They are by defalt set to 12% of your total disk space - 3-5 % ought to be sufficient, this should give you a rise in the free space that will raise it to around 20%, this in turn ought to at least to lower the amount of fragmented (red) squares.

(you gain about 12-15 MB space per restore point you do not use, I think.)

It is a good idea to run a full chkdsk ( /r) once in a while before you run a defrag.

Running a defrag with a lot of windows or programs open will give you red blocks too.

Many things are of course dependent on each other in a computer

Also right click your c: drive and choose properties and then the button clean up tick those items that you think it would be a good idea to clean and then proceed to do so, this could easily give you another GB free space, I think. Altogether maybe almost doubling the free space you have now.

Additionally I think you would benefit from getting more RAM, for example 1024 GB instead of the 512 you use now. The RAM are fairly cheap in this day and age.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. Running a boot defrag at only the next restart of the computer is probably a good idea.

p.p.s. The Windows defragger doesn't have optimizing placement of files and it doesn't have the boot-time defrag option. Usually Smartdefrag is also quite a bit faster.

p.p.p.s. If you are unsure about how to implement the things I have mentioned, please ask before you perform them.

I have read your information you gave me, and I'm even more confused, GOD I AM SO FREAKING STUPID... I can't believe I'm asking this, but what was half of that on enoskypes post meaning? About thinking about defrag?, this is the information you might need, and I also tried to use the search, I still can't find what I'm looking for, I am actually really embarresed, I'm not looking for perfection on this, I just want to know whats up with it, um, my os is

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600)

and the system model is Compaq Presario v5000 (EZ43OUA#ABA)

I don't know if the system model is even needed, now as for the hard disk, this is the information you mentioned:

used space: 40.4 GB

free space: 7.45 GB

I'm not too sure on what the BIG files are on here, I do know I have a few games that ACTUALLY PLAY downloaded

I can't figure out what program shows me what the BIG files are, I had used something to find out once, but it turned my os upside down along time ago, I haven't researched it since, and I also (pointless information aside) DON'T use google chrome, it messed my mommas computer up. simple short story is, what is up with the problem I am having of the default defrag being more powerfull than the IObit? Or is it just something that was wrong with my computer? I REALLY want that program back, but I'm worring about whats taking up memory, so I don't want any programs that I can't use for the best on my computer, Thanks, and please, I'm not trying to be rude or anything, I do plan on redownloading it if I find out whats wrong, and if its normal to have over half of the squares be red after the program runs, then so be it, I'll download it again, but I'm thinking it might not be compatible with something I'm using

thanks for the help, CJ Fischer

Hi cmjf

If I come across a link to a post that gives you the most thorough explanation about the red squares (fragmented), I will give it to you, but I will not seach actively for it right now - because I will not deprive you of that pleasure :-) .

But I can say right now that the reason you have many of them probably is that you do not have sufficient contiguous space to have your largest files defragged and that they therefore can't be properly defragged.

The reason for that became apparent when you told us how much free and used space you have.

According to that you only have 15.5% free space - the minimum amount of free space is usually recommended to be at least 15%.

When you hit the 15% in the default Windows defrag it will tell you that it cannot defrag your harddisk because you do not have sufficient free space.

(when you have installed/saved an additionally 300 MB you will get that message)

(let's say you have a couple of hundred pictures in your picture folder from a fairly new camera - then just zipping that folder will bring you under the defragmentation limit.)

The obvious solution to that is to create more free space by freeing up some more space - uninstall not needed large programs - or for example to gain some space by lowering the amount of used space for Windows system restore points. They are by defalt set to 12% of your total disk space - 3-5 % ought to be sufficient, this should give you a rise in the free space that will raise it to around 20%, this in turn ought to at least to lower the amount of fragmented (red) squares.

(you gain about 12-15 MB space per restore point you do not use, I think.)

It is a good idea to run a full chkdsk ( /r) once in a while before you run a defrag.

Running a defrag with a lot of windows or programs open will give you red blocks too.

Many things are of course dependent on each other in a computer

Also right click your c: drive and choose properties and then the button clean up tick those items that you think it would be a good idea to clean and then proceed to do so, this could easily give you another GB free space, I think. Altogether maybe almost doubling the free space you have now.

Additionally I think you would benefit from getting more RAM, for example 1024 MB instead of the 512 you use now. The RAM are fairly cheap in this day and age.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. Running a boot defrag at only the next restart of the computer is probably a good idea.

p.p.s. The Windows defragger doesn't have optimizing placement of files and it doesn't have the boot-time defrag option. Usually Smartdefrag is also quite a bit faster.

p.p.p.s. If you are unsure about how to implement the things I have mentioned, please ask before you perform them.

well, for the ram for one thing, I keep having people mention that, I have stripped screwes in the back of my laptop, IF I can get those out some how, how do I put more ram IN? and also, when I'm doing a defrag, would it be best to put my games on my flash drive? then compress the REST of the drive? I compressed it all before, but when I did it before, WELL... lets just say, I got WAY more memory, but NON of my games would work. if I leave out those folders (I think I can) Would that be a smart idea, and would it be a smart idea to leave out the IObit products I use? I also have a new amount of free space on my computer, I deleted 2 games I have that required more ram than I could use WITH out lagging, so I have like 3 more gigs free, this is the new specs

Used Space: 34.0 GB

Free Space: 13.7 GB

I am going to go ahead and check that program back out, and because I upload videos for my youtube channel, I have 0.98 GBs if compressed 720P video which I am gona delete soon, I keep it for an emergency where my youtube channel messes up, so I have back ups

To follow up!

Hi cmjf0013,

It is a good practice to give information about which parts of the advice you followed and which part you have not done as suggested.

Otherwise the person who makes the suggestion will not know if his/her advices have a value or not.

Please inform solbjerg which parts of the suggestions you have followed and why you have not done the suggested if there is a reason.

Cheers.

Hi enoskype

Right! (hopefully someone else can get something from my suggestions) :-)

Now I am just interested to see how the screenshot will look with the whole of the computer in compressed files after SD has run its course :-)

I wonder if he will be able to play any games on the machine?

@ cmjf

Please leave a screenshot after your first defrag session with SD

About how to add RAM to the computer, please ask the question on the net - and you will find numerous guides that will show you with pictures and all what you have to do.

Possessing a screwdriver is helpful though :-) possibly also assorted bits :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s.

Harddisks from the supposed time period usually were socalled 60 GB disks (they were seen as powers 10 and were in reality 60,000,000,000 bytes which is about 56 GB

If cmjf's harddisk was originally a 56 GB harddisk and now are a little less than 48 GB will mean that it has 8 GB bad blocks by now, right? So a new harddisk or preferably a new computer would be a good plan, I think!

Hi cmjf0013,

It is a good practice to give information about which parts of the advice you followed and which part you have not done as suggested.

Otherwise the person who makes the suggestion will not know if his/her advices have a value or not.

Please inform solbjerg which parts of the suggestions you have followed and why you have not done the suggested if there is a reason.

Cheers.

following steps

I deleted the other messages, they were actually a little pointless, so all the info I am going to give will be in this message

I ran a boot defrag, no files needed to be defraged, as I have already done it once before when I had the program installed

I ran a defrag with full optimization and it finished succesfully,

I deleted the games that I had on here that I couldn't get to play all the time with less lag then they were playable at.

I then blocked the other games from needing to be defraged or analized for this session of being defragged

I do not know how to set the system restore funtion to a lower percentage, and for that matter, I can't get it to restore at all, so I'm thinking its best to turn it off, but I'm actually afraid too, in case I DO require that in the future

I DID NOT do the check disk thing, I do not know HOW to do that

and I also used the clean disc to clean the Cdrive, but I would like to figure out if I have bad sectors, and I don't how to tell

I will attach a screenshot of the end result of the defrag, I will wait for your answer, then reply as needed

for the first screenshot, I did do the full scan right before this message

for the second screenshot, It still requires a scan as you can see, and I still have files (a large amount) that DIDN'T defrag.

I reviewed the files that needed to defrag, the largest files are the game I am recording, I do not know how to defrag the game.

[Edit] by melvin_deal: removed the unnecessary and possibly rascist word. The content of the message is not changed by its deletion.

Hi CJ Fisher!

I suspect that because of the age and size of your HD and the allocated space you cannot defrag it fully because you have some very large files on it...probably video(just a guess). Or you HD is failing... have you run a chkdsk lately?

Please be on top of your threads and posts! Try to solve one or two problems one at a time. We are volunteers here and a spread around the planet:-)! You will create more work for us if you aren't on top of your own posts! You can utilize the search function on the main forum GUI to see if the issues you have questions about have already been addressed. It is located in the blue horizontal line approximately 3 inches from the top of the window you are viewing.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!!

.....I do not know how to set the system restore funtion to a lower percentage, and for that matter, I can't get it to restore at all, so I'm thinking its best to turn it off, but I'm actually afraid too, in case I DO require that in the future...

Go to To change System Restore settings and click on To allocate more disk space for archiving restore points

But, you will need to decrease the slider setting not increase it

.....I DID NOT do the check disk thing, I do not know HOW to do that

and I also used the clean disc to clean the Cdrive, but I would like to figure out if I have bad sectors, and I don't how to tell....

CheckDisk - How to perform disk error checking in Windows XP

The section How to run Chkdsk from My Computer or from Windows Explorer is probably the easiest to understand and follow

All the best, woz of oz

ok, I will do both of those right now so I can figure this out, I did the windows check disc thing not that long ago, I will do it this way instead and see what happens before I got to sleep, anyways, thank you and I found the search thing handy about like 4 things I was trying to figure out, so thanks for the search haha, I just have to remember to figure out the right terms for it, I will check back in tomorrow night to let you know how it goes, and I don't have any video, I have a hunch that the red squares are something to do with the operating system errors or something, I think I'll just take it as is, I think for the defrag that this is the best I can do, I does run faster when it optimizes, so Yea, I did learn that from this, I have learned so much about computers from you guys. I am gona see what happens when I do that, if you want another screenshot after I am done trying it again, just say so, otherwise, the next reply will be just a sit rep on what happened, wish me luck lol

Help Help Help!

it worked better than before, I just now started to have SEVERE system crashes, I'm not running hot, but I want to check for a disk error, maybe see if its something, soft ware wise, and not hard ware wise thats causeing the crashes, I can leave it on all night usually, then sometimes, I will just shut off, I can be playing a game, or using firefox, any time I'm under extreme load (I usually have several mbs of ram left) then it crashes, I think its error, how do I check that?

Archived