IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

SD3 Has Artemis Trojan

DearWebby

Current download of Smart Defrag is infected with Artemis!

Even when diligently sitestepping the bundled "search conduit" hijacker, the following files in the Smart Defrag are infected with Artemis!:

uninstall.exe

CltMngSvc.exe

SPTool64.exe

SPPD.sys

Trying to do an analysis, after just completing a 6 pass Windows defrag, shows a very pretty, but totally unrealistic picture. It seems the program got severely damaged by the trojans.

Please let me know if the program can be fixed, and where I can get an UNinstall.exe, that is not infected with a trojan.

Please email me, when you got things cleaned up.

I downloaded SmartDefrag from

http://go.redirectingat.com/?id=3333...n-tool&xtz=360,

which is an affiliate link going to

http://www.iobit.com/iobitsmartdefrag.html

Thanks

DearWebby

EDIT: This post was moved from General Forum Items which was the wrong forum for the related content.

Hi DearWebby

Welcome to the Forum.

Please read the following articles regarding "Artimis"

Uninstall Smart Defrag. You can use Iobit Uninstaller to do this.

Then Download Smart Defrag. You should go to This post to obtain the recommended download link.

Let us know if SD is still "infected"

We do not enter into email correspondence with users regarding issues such as this. These matters are dealt with in the forum or if required via PM.

All so the Installer packs are changing the Home pages on web browsers http://www.trovi.com/?gd=&ctid=CT3319434&octid=EB_ORIGINAL_CTID&ISID=M7C802FF4-A830-4F20-96E3-38216BD68099&SearchSource=69&CUI=&SSPV=SP21715TTA_sp_ff&Lay=1&UM=6&UP=SPEF071516-D33F-4BF6-9595-8EE8C20D59F9

My malwarebytes picked up 25 PUP.Optionals just from the installer pack it self.And this download came from majorgeeks.

This program is advertising supported and may offer to install third party programs that are not required for the program to run. These may include a toolbar, changing your homepage, default search engine or other third party programs. Please watch the installation carefully to opt out. For more information: Third party programs and toolbars; what you need to know.

Cheers.

Xcom46,

Did you read this?

It is also written in MajorGeeks download page for Smart Defrag.

You should have opted out the 3rd party installations when installing Smart Defrag.

You can use IObit Uninstaller 4 obtainable from IObit Uninstaller 4 Beta 2.0 is released! [september 13, 2014] topic to uninstall those 3rd party installations.

Cheers.

This stuff needs to be Ad free.You guys need to stop sending it to places like Cnet.be cause they re make the installer packs and input there ad's.I should not have to scan Iobit software to install it.I have doing this for many many years.But it seems lately that i have to start scanning for virus or malware every time i go to install some thing.I go to trusted sites and it seems they are no longer trusted any more.Yes i Did OP out of the advertisements crap.But it auto installed it self with out asking.I had to uninstall this Home page changer.

• 1 month later...
It's definitely NOT worth the hassle. If a program is so crappy, that they can't sell it honestly and have to prostitute themselves to Trojan distributors, they will have to do without me from now on.

Sadly, I must agree with you. Iobit have great products and are allowing them to be diminished by the re-distributors adding PUP's. However it is an unfortunate fact

of modern life that everything is being driven by advertising commercial interests . Money talks....morals and customer satisfaction...walks.

I am still using SD 2.9 for this very reason.

Archived