IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

SmartDefragDriver.sys corrupt my startup

whoareyou

I am still fuming from just what happened today. Here a back story, I installed this program in my computer and it ran fine once. Then the next day, I decided to run the defrag again and end up it having issue. Everytime I load the program, it froze my computer. It leave no trace on event viewer of why this happen at all. So the best action is to uninstall. For some reason, the the uninstall entry is corrupted which Window and the third party refuse to uninstall the program because it couldn't find the uninstall program for SmartDefrag. So I thought maybe I can reinstall the program then uninstall it. It won't work. It kept saying that I have to uninstall the SmartDefrag to install the new SmartDefrag. So basically, I decided to leave it alone since it didn't affect my computer at all. So I left it alone for two month and I was using a different defrag program without any issue. Today, I decided to turn on my computer and it somehow got stuck to Startup Recovery loop. No matter what, it refuse to enter Window. So I assume the startup is corrupt and I proceed to use my OEM Window 7 disc and use it from there. The disc is no help also, it just couldn't fix. Next, I look a way to disable the startup recovery, so it can force me go to safe mode or to normal mode. By using the cmd through Startup Recovery I successfully disabled it and restart the computer. Then it bypass the recovery and led me to a error page of some sort. It state that smartdefragdriver.sys is missing from the system folder. I could run the chkdsk and SFC process but it is write protected.

I wonder why the driver suddenly decided to disappear which lead the startup process to be corrupted. How the heck that happen. I am fuming because I lost some important browser session that I can't recover and I recently reformat my computer two months ago and I finally have everything set up week ago and this happens. Why did this happen. It disappointing to me that the program froze it, and refuse to uninstall and refuse to install and decided to leave a system file which led to corrupting the startup process. I haven't touch the program ever since that day. I don't use program that check dead file and delete them. I search the web and discovered that one person in 2011 have the same problem and it look like it didn't fix that problem.

Now I have to start all over again. At least Window was kind enough to create Window.old for previous window partition to that folder for me to put everything back. But unfortunately, Session Manager for my Firefox couldn't recover all my session that I need. Very disappointing for this to happen

Hi whoareyou

Welcome to the Forum.

Sorry to hear you had difficulties with your pc and with Smart Defrag, It is very difficult for us to assist you at this point, as it appears that you have reinstalled windows from scratch.

It is a pity that you did not seek assistance from either this Forum or from Iobit when the problem first occurred. I am sure that we could have resolved the issue without the need

to reinstall windows. Reading your explanation, it appears to me that while Smart Defrag may have had a difficulty, it is highly unlikely it caused your system crash.

There would appear to have been other issues which created the crash problem.

You could have used the Iobit Uninstaller to uninstall Smart Defrag. You could have used system restore to restore your system to a time before the Smart Defrag issue occurred.

It is extremely unlikely that the missimg smartdefragdriver.sys could cause a system crash. It is more likely you were just receiving an error message in this regard.

Please note that Smart Defrag is used by millions of users without difficulty. I would suggest that you download ASC (Advanced Systemcare) and use it to keep your machine clean and optimised

in order to avoid issues in the future. I would also suggest that you install a good Antimalware program and a good Anti-virus program, as it appears from your User Profile information

that you do not have either.

Hi whoareyou,

Sorry to hear what happened.

As Scannan mentioned, you have reinstalled windows, it is difficult to look into the issue now. Would you like to re-install the latest Smart Defrag http://download.iobit.com/defragsetup.exe? If anything happens this time, please feel free to tell us timely.

@ Scannan, thanks for your timely reply. :-)

Archived