IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Not sure what SD5RC is doing...

bnjroo

When SD5RC came out, I upgraded and ported over my license all fine and dandy, but something seems to be wrong. The other day, I noted sdproxy.exe sucking up CPU like no business, heating up my laptop. I figured it was on auto defrag, which it was, because sdproxy stopped as soon as I unplugged and was running on battery. Anyway, I wasn't too concerned about that, since I expect auto defrag to use system resources, that is, until I tried to run an actual defrag.

Usually, I have SD on auto and default boot time defrag settings, which usually keeps my system running at less than 2% fragmentation. I decided to analyze, and I was at over 5% fragmentation! Since SD3, I have never seen my system at more than a couple of percentage points! I figured a defrag and prioritize would help, and left it for a few hours, only to come back and find it was stuck at 70%-ish.

It was stuck on a big media archive, so I moved all my media (videos and music) to external hard drives and set defrag and prioritize again. Analyze told me my HDD was at almost 9% fragmentation. I left it running overnight, and was pleased to wake up the next day to see that it went through the auto-shutdown-on-completion.

I analyzed again, after a cold boot, and fragmentation was up to nearly 15%!!! Interestingly, the log from last night's defrag said my HDD was at 0% by the end of the process.

Confused and disappointed.

SD5RC v5.0.1.684

Windows 10x64 Home v1511 Build 10586.218

Lenovo Z70-80

Updated to SD5Pro v5.02.766 with similar results. Left to Defrag and Prioritize last night, starting with 8% fragmentation. On fresh boot this morning, analyze shows 8% fragmentation. (See Screenshot)

Ran Smart Defrag immediately, which took a few minutes. Analyze now shows 9% fragmentation.

So, I went back to a different version. Uninstalled SD5Pro, rebooted, and installed SD4 v4.4.0.849. Ran Smart Defrag. Analyze showed 0.3% fragmentation, Smart Defrag resulted in 0% fragmentation. Could you please explain the discrepancy?

Edward- Possibly, but that would mean that between 8% and 15% of my drive is fragmented? Just for giggles, I ran two competitor products, and one shows 15% fragmentation, on par with what SD5 is telling me, and the other shows a ridiculous 37% fragmentation rate. Now I'm getting concerned.

In contact with iOBit Support, and they sent me a tweaked version, which brought things back into line. There was a huge file that I think was a problem, a 71.5 GB file, in 1,900 pieces, located in System Volume Information, which I couldn't figure out how to access. (Found that it was part of System Restore, so I deleted all restore points, rebooted, and saved one restore point.)

Archived