Facebook   Twitter   Google+   YouTube Get FREE Online Help Free Download IObit Products  

Go Back   IObit.Com Forums > IObit FREE Tools > IObit Toolbox
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

IObit Toolbox Send your feedback and suggestions. Let's discuss and improve the free tool.

Old Jul. 24th, 2011, 21:43
IObit VIP

Lightbulb

Ok lets start here .try this see if this works?
I am guessing If the recycle bin is Crook, That could ex plane the Unknown Folder???? with the zzz and sss?

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/13...le-folder.html

The read here as well
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1132187271

"Comment from this page."

{{Another from my Tips database:}}

If, when you empty the recycle bin, it still says there are files in it, read on.

Files not being listed in the Recycle Bin seem to be related to a corrupt info2 file.
To correct the issue (Fat32):

Go to Start/Run and type in CMD:

Type CD \RECYCLED, and then press ENTER.
Type ATTRIB -r -s -h info2, and then press ENTER.
Type DEL INFO2, and then press ENTER.

NOTE: This deletes the damaged INFO2 file. Windows will recreate this file as needed,
automatically

For more information, do a Google search on
can't empty recycle bin}}}}

Ok hope it may be useful?
Mr Bean

Last edited by Mr Bean : Jul. 24th, 2011 at 21:52.
Old Jul. 25th, 2011, 03:51

Default Think I got the answer!

Basically using another machine with the same software I carried out all the previous tasks with 47Gb free on disk and tiny amount "unmovable".

1. Removed all but latest restore points, which gave me put HDD on 57GB free.
2. Deleted C:$Recycle.bin in DOS using the /r /q command (I actually do not think this had any effect on the free space).
3. Performed and simple 1 pass overwrite of the free space on the drive. There were c. 38000 files that were available be restored by right clicking the recycle bin. After this completed I checked undelete option and there were c 270 files there all with the mysterious C: unknownfolder and a number.
4. The free drive space increased after this to 67GB, so I presume it was the overwrite that freed up this space as opposed to deleteing the recycle.bin directory in dos.
5. Defragged the drive using smart defrag and the amount "unmovable" was tiny, c.2% of used space.
6. After a reboot and a check to see the number of files to be "undeleted" in the recycle bin, the number rose to c. 40000. Using smart defrag the total that was "unmovable" increased to c. 10%.

So basically I conclude that these files are created by overwriting the free space on the drive (showed you a print screen of the files names etc), some sort of reference file left behind by the overwrite process. There are so many files all about 600 bytes each would seem to make sense to me. On reboot it seems as though these files become "unmovable" but do not have any or little effect on drive space.

Bit strange though that they are offered as an option to be restored. NB: I also downloaded another "undelete" software which showed the same results as the IOBIT tool.

I think I leave it at that but over all it seems to make sense based on my latest experiences. But maybe we learned something new!

Thanks Mr. Bean, a great help.
Old Jul. 25th, 2011, 13:41
IObit VIP

Talking

The main thing you are happy with the out come and glad I was of a tiny bit of assistance yes I have also learned a bit myself about recycling bins as to how thy work and a few other things on the way,that was rather new to me as I never gave it a thought in all my years of computing
MR Bean
Old Dec. 14th, 2011, 08:02

Having same problem. Found over 40,000 files in ASC undelete. Loaded CCleaner and that fixed it. Now I notice the number of files is creeping toward 3,000 ans CCleaner is not successful. Does any one know what files ASC uses to store this info
Old Dec. 23rd, 2011, 10:38

Default How do I permanently delete items from shredder

Download CCleaner.com from MajorGeeks and run Tools, then Drive Wiper on Free Space Only. One pass will be sufficient but 3 is better. You could also try using Mozilla Firefox as it can be configured not to record history.
Old Dec. 23rd, 2011, 20:07

Default Undelete

Probably you only need to wipe the MTF files "Free Space". This seems to clear the Iobit Undelete trail.