Facebook   Twitter   Google+   YouTube Get FREE Online Help Free Download IObit Products  

Go Back   IObit.Com Forums > Smart Defrag > SD General Discussions > Smart Defrag v2
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Smart Defrag v2 Boot time Defrag, Scheduled Defrag, Automatic Defrag, Inclusion and Exclusion of files and more.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old Jun. 19th, 2012, 03:50
cmjf0013's Avatar
cmjf0013 cmjf0013 is offline
Expert User
 
Join Date: 27 May 2012
Posts: 250
Talking Y U No Work :<

OK, first thing this isn't like, top priority or anything, I don't have the program any more, but I'm really missing the optimizing feature, but this thing, well, it don't even defrag as good as my default program, is this normal to have like, HALF THE BOXES RED even after its completly done? the ad said this thing defraged way better than the default windows defragmentor, so whats the deal? is my pc being older have anything to do with this? and if not, is the program NOT mean't to replace the usage of the default? thanks in advance for the info on this, and I would also like the oppinions of others, not just the admins and (official) staff, what do you guys think? I do have games on there, some unmovvable files, but even with those, it will still work better if I use the default, and also, what can I do to find what the unmovable files are? I'm REALLY thinking I can do better defrags if I can find a way to exclude these files from the defrag process. thanks everybody, and don't forget to thank our friendly neighborhood spid... wait, i'm sorry, IObit peoplz for making all this possible and the forum pplz for taking there time to help idiots like me thats right, first step to recovery is admitting theres a problem lmfao

ps: I can redownload it and scan, and post a screenshot of the end result after the first defrag, if that would help show what I mean

Last edited by cmjf0013 : Jun. 19th, 2012 at 04:01. Reason: for got to mention something
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Jun. 19th, 2012, 04:10
Melvin_Deal's Avatar
Melvin_Deal Melvin_Deal is offline
Malware Advisor Moderator
 
Join Date: 06 Jul 2009
Posts: 2,937
Default

There is a tremendous amount of information here about defragmentation.

We don't know what your default program is because you didn't bother to tell us or list it in your user profile.


Sincerely,
-Mel
Live long and prosper!
__________________



Last edited by Melvin_Deal : Jun. 19th, 2012 at 04:31.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Jun. 19th, 2012, 11:56
cmjf0013's Avatar
cmjf0013 cmjf0013 is offline
Expert User
 
Join Date: 27 May 2012
Posts: 250
Default

how do I find out what my default engine is? Sorry I didn't even think about that, I looked for the info I needed on defraging in the forum and couldn't find what I was looking for. then looked for google, I didn't understand the info I found
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Jun. 19th, 2012, 15:37
solbjerg's Avatar
solbjerg solbjerg is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: 24 May 2007
Posts: 7,196
Default

Hi cmjf
I suppose you are now talking about the default Windows Defragmentation that are a part of the Windows Install program?.
Asking about SmartDefrag - and then uninstalling the program seems a bit inconsiderate/rude, - it seems superfluous to answer a question when there is in no need for help since you do not use the program.
To me it seems that almost all possible questions already have been asked and answered - why defragging sometimes can take a long time has been answered many times and likewise why so many red squares are seen has been answered many many times. And many many more questions and answers. Which is why we advise you to read about it instead of repeating the same questions that the forum has seen again and again.
Please read Usage of IObit Products and also Thinking about defragmentation both have a link in my signature.
(+ find all topics that touches the subject defragmentation)
How did you uninstall SD - a clean uninstall? (do you know what that means - otherwise an explanation can be found in Usage of IObit Products too)
Furthermore if you ask about defragmentation you ought to tell us first and foremost the OS in your computer the size of your harddisk and specify that into used space and free space - possibly just free space - provided that you write it as a percentage of the total size of the harddisk, - and if your computer has many very large files (videoes, pictures etc.)
What more specifically did you not understand concerning the info??
Cheers
solbjerg


Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjf0013 View Post
how do I find out what my default engine is? Sorry I didn't even think about that, I looked for the info I needed on defraging in the forum and couldn't find what I was looking for. then looked for google, I didn't understand the info I found
__________________
太阳山 (solbjerg)
Ceterum censeo Usage of IObit Products esse legendum
(Furthermore I think that Usage of IObit Products must be read)
Itemized subjects Table of content
In relation to defragmentation Think about defragmentation
Clean Install concept Clean Install
Introduction to the Forum Forum Guidelines
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Jun. 20th, 2012, 05:42
cmjf0013's Avatar
cmjf0013 cmjf0013 is offline
Expert User
 
Join Date: 27 May 2012
Posts: 250
Default

oh ok, I just hoped on to check everything I have to get up tomorrow pretty early so I'm going to bed, but when I have a chance, I will give all of your info and read all that stuff, ALSO, I am really wanting to redownload it, but if its not right for my computer, I also want to see what I can do to make it work, I am a huge fan of all of IObits products, if I had enough room, I would have everything you guys have, paid version, even if it wasn't needed, you guys are amazing, and I'm not trying to be rude or inconsitersate, I'm going to re download it if I can make it work, I really hope this isn't a pointless reply, I am very busy and sore from today, but I wanted you to know I did read your message, I will get back to you some time tomorrow, thanks
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Jun. 20th, 2012, 22:59
cmjf0013's Avatar
cmjf0013 cmjf0013 is offline
Expert User
 
Join Date: 27 May 2012
Posts: 250
Default

I have read your information you gave me, and I'm even more confused, GOD I AM SO FREAKING STUPID... I can't believe I'm asking this, but what was half of that on enoskypes post meaning? About thinking about defrag?, this is the information you might need, and I also tried to use the search, I still can't find what I'm looking for, I am actually really embarresed, I'm not looking for perfection on this, I just want to know whats up with it, um, my os is

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600)

and the system model is Compaq Presario v5000 (EZ43OUA#ABA)

I don't know if the system model is even needed, now as for the hard disk, this is the information you mentioned:

used space: 40.4 GB
free space: 7.45 GB

I'm not too sure on what the BIG files are on here, I do know I have a few games that ACTUALLY PLAY downloaded

I can't figure out what program shows me what the BIG files are, I had used something to find out once, but it turned my os upside down along time ago, I haven't researched it since, and I also (pointless information aside) DON'T use google chrome, it messed my mommas computer up. simple short story is, what is up with the problem I am having of the default defrag being more powerfull than the IObit? Or is it just something that was wrong with my computer? I REALLY want that program back, but I'm worring about whats taking up memory, so I don't want any programs that I can't use for the best on my computer, Thanks, and please, I'm not trying to be rude or anything, I do plan on redownloading it if I find out whats wrong, and if its normal to have over half of the squares be red after the program runs, then so be it, I'll download it again, but I'm thinking it might not be compatible with something I'm using

thanks for the help, CJ Fischer
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Jun. 21st, 2012, 07:05
solbjerg's Avatar
solbjerg solbjerg is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: 24 May 2007
Posts: 7,196
Default

Hi cmjf
If I come across a link to a post that gives you the most thorough explanation about the red squares (fragmented), I will give it to you, but I will not seach actively for it right now - because I will not deprive you of that pleasure .
But I can say right now that the reason you have many of them probably is that you do not have sufficient contiguous space to have your largest files defragged and that they therefore can't be properly defragged.
The reason for that became apparent when you told us how much free and used space you have.
According to that you only have 15.5% free space - the minimum amount of free space is usually recommended to be at least 15%.
When you hit the 15% in the default Windows defrag it will tell you that it cannot defrag your harddisk because you do not have sufficient free space.
(when you have installed/saved an additionally 300 MB you will get that message)
(let's say you have a couple of hundred pictures in your picture folder from a fairly new camera - then just zipping that folder will bring you under the defragmentation limit.)
The obvious solution to that is to create more free space by freeing up some more space - uninstall not needed large programs - or for example to gain some space by lowering the amount of used space for Windows system restore points. They are by defalt set to 12% of your total disk space - 3-5 % ought to be sufficient, this should give you a rise in the free space that will raise it to around 20%, this in turn ought to at least to lower the amount of fragmented (red) squares.
(you gain about 12-15 MB space per restore point you do not use, I think.)
It is a good idea to run a full chkdsk ( /r) once in a while before you run a defrag.
Running a defrag with a lot of windows or programs open will give you red blocks too.
Many things are of course dependent on each other in a computer
Also right click your c: drive and choose properties and then the button clean up tick those items that you think it would be a good idea to clean and then proceed to do so, this could easily give you another GB free space, I think. Altogether maybe almost doubling the free space you have now.
Additionally I think you would benefit from getting more RAM, for example 1024 GB instead of the 512 you use now. The RAM are fairly cheap in this day and age.
Cheers
solbjerg
p.s. Running a boot defrag at only the next restart of the computer is probably a good idea.
p.p.s. The Windows defragger doesn't have optimizing placement of files and it doesn't have the boot-time defrag option. Usually Smartdefrag is also quite a bit faster.
p.p.p.s. If you are unsure about how to implement the things I have mentioned, please ask before you perform them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjf0013 View Post
I have read your information you gave me, and I'm even more confused, GOD I AM SO FREAKING STUPID... I can't believe I'm asking this, but what was half of that on enoskypes post meaning? About thinking about defrag?, this is the information you might need, and I also tried to use the search, I still can't find what I'm looking for, I am actually really embarresed, I'm not looking for perfection on this, I just want to know whats up with it, um, my os is

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600)

and the system model is Compaq Presario v5000 (EZ43OUA#ABA)

I don't know if the system model is even needed, now as for the hard disk, this is the information you mentioned:

used space: 40.4 GB
free space: 7.45 GB

I'm not too sure on what the BIG files are on here, I do know I have a few games that ACTUALLY PLAY downloaded

I can't figure out what program shows me what the BIG files are, I had used something to find out once, but it turned my os upside down along time ago, I haven't researched it since, and I also (pointless information aside) DON'T use google chrome, it messed my mommas computer up. simple short story is, what is up with the problem I am having of the default defrag being more powerfull than the IObit? Or is it just something that was wrong with my computer? I REALLY want that program back, but I'm worring about whats taking up memory, so I don't want any programs that I can't use for the best on my computer, Thanks, and please, I'm not trying to be rude or anything, I do plan on redownloading it if I find out whats wrong, and if its normal to have over half of the squares be red after the program runs, then so be it, I'll download it again, but I'm thinking it might not be compatible with something I'm using

thanks for the help, CJ Fischer
__________________
太阳山 (solbjerg)
Ceterum censeo Usage of IObit Products esse legendum
(Furthermore I think that Usage of IObit Products must be read)
Itemized subjects Table of content
In relation to defragmentation Think about defragmentation
Clean Install concept Clean Install
Introduction to the Forum Forum Guidelines
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Jun. 21st, 2012, 15:42
cmjf0013's Avatar
cmjf0013 cmjf0013 is offline
Expert User
 
Join Date: 27 May 2012
Posts: 250
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbjerg View Post
Hi cmjf
If I come across a link to a post that gives you the most thorough explanation about the red squares (fragmented), I will give it to you, but I will not seach actively for it right now - because I will not deprive you of that pleasure .
But I can say right now that the reason you have many of them probably is that you do not have sufficient contiguous space to have your largest files defragged and that they therefore can't be properly defragged.
The reason for that became apparent when you told us how much free and used space you have.
According to that you only have 15.5% free space - the minimum amount of free space is usually recommended to be at least 15%.
When you hit the 15% in the default Windows defrag it will tell you that it cannot defrag your harddisk because you do not have sufficient free space.
(when you have installed/saved an additionally 300 MB you will get that message)
(let's say you have a couple of hundred pictures in your picture folder from a fairly new camera - then just zipping that folder will bring you under the defragmentation limit.)
The obvious solution to that is to create more free space by freeing up some more space - uninstall not needed large programs - or for example to gain some space by lowering the amount of used space for Windows system restore points. They are by defalt set to 12% of your total disk space - 3-5 % ought to be sufficient, this should give you a rise in the free space that will raise it to around 20%, this in turn ought to at least to lower the amount of fragmented (red) squares.
(you gain about 12-15 MB space per restore point you do not use, I think.)
It is a good idea to run a full chkdsk ( /r) once in a while before you run a defrag.
Running a defrag with a lot of windows or programs open will give you red blocks too.
Many things are of course dependent on each other in a computer
Also right click your c: drive and choose properties and then the button clean up tick those items that you think it would be a good idea to clean and then proceed to do so, this could easily give you another GB free space, I think. Altogether maybe almost doubling the free space you have now.
Additionally I think you would benefit from getting more RAM, for example 1024 MB instead of the 512 you use now. The RAM are fairly cheap in this day and age.
Cheers
solbjerg
p.s. Running a boot defrag at only the next restart of the computer is probably a good idea.
p.p.s. The Windows defragger doesn't have optimizing placement of files and it doesn't have the boot-time defrag option. Usually Smartdefrag is also quite a bit faster.
p.p.p.s. If you are unsure about how to implement the things I have mentioned, please ask before you perform them.
well, for the ram for one thing, I keep having people mention that, I have stripped screwes in the back of my laptop, IF I can get those out some how, how do I put more ram IN? and also, when I'm doing a defrag, would it be best to put my games on my flash drive? then compress the REST of the drive? I compressed it all before, but when I did it before, WELL... lets just say, I got WAY more memory, but NON of my games would work. if I leave out those folders (I think I can) Would that be a smart idea, and would it be a smart idea to leave out the IObit products I use? I also have a new amount of free space on my computer, I deleted 2 games I have that required more ram than I could use WITH out lagging, so I have like 3 more gigs free, this is the new specs

Used Space: 34.0 GB
Free Space: 13.7 GB

I am going to go ahead and check that program back out, and because I upload videos for my youtube channel, I have 0.98 GBs if compressed 720P video which I am gona delete soon, I keep it for an emergency where my youtube channel messes up, so I have back ups
__________________
Wow, I don't know who I am anymore!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Jun. 21st, 2012, 16:26
enoskype's Avatar
enoskype enoskype is offline
Mediator®
 
Join Date: 27 Oct 2006
Posts: 10,166
Lightbulb To follow up!

Hi cmjf0013,

It is a good practice to give information about which parts of the advice you followed and which part you have not done as suggested.
Otherwise the person who makes the suggestion will not know if his/her advices have a value or not.

Please inform solbjerg which parts of the suggestions you have followed and why you have not done the suggested if there is a reason.

Cheers.
__________________
enoskype

- Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder and belongs to the man who can appreciate it. -
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Jun. 21st, 2012, 17:25
solbjerg's Avatar
solbjerg solbjerg is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: 24 May 2007
Posts: 7,196
Default

Hi enoskype
Right! (hopefully someone else can get something from my suggestions)
Now I am just interested to see how the screenshot will look with the whole of the computer in compressed files after SD has run its course
I wonder if he will be able to play any games on the machine?
@ cmjf
Please leave a screenshot after your first defrag session with SD
About how to add RAM to the computer, please ask the question on the net - and you will find numerous guides that will show you with pictures and all what you have to do.
Possessing a screwdriver is helpful though possibly also assorted bits
Cheers
solbjerg
p.s.
Harddisks from the supposed time period usually were socalled 60 GB disks (they were seen as powers 10 and were in reality 60,000,000,000 bytes which is about 56 GB
If cmjf's harddisk was originally a 56 GB harddisk and now are a little less than 48 GB will mean that it has 8 GB bad blocks by now, right? So a new harddisk or preferably a new computer would be a good plan, I think!


Quote:
Originally Posted by enoskype View Post
Hi cmjf0013,

It is a good practice to give information about which parts of the advice you followed and which part you have not done as suggested.
Otherwise the person who makes the suggestion will not know if his/her advices have a value or not.

Please inform solbjerg which parts of the suggestions you have followed and why you have not done the suggested if there is a reason.

Cheers.
__________________
太阳山 (solbjerg)
Ceterum censeo Usage of IObit Products esse legendum
(Furthermore I think that Usage of IObit Products must be read)
Itemized subjects Table of content
In relation to defragmentation Think about defragmentation
Clean Install concept Clean Install
Introduction to the Forum Forum Guidelines
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Get FREE Online Help



Free Download IObit Products




Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VPN connection won't work after Deep Care moggyman Advanced SystemCare v5 21 Jan. 11th, 2012 09:25
program wont work eric jones IMF IObit Malware Fighter v1 1 Aug. 29th, 2011 03:09
malware fighter installs but wont open and work eric jones Spyware-Malware Removal Help! 1 Aug. 17th, 2011 22:33
malware fighter installs but wont open and work eric jones IMF IObit Malware Fighter v1 1 Aug. 17th, 2011 21:55
Key dont work need a reset sam731 GB & RGB General Discussions 1 Mar. 10th, 2011 18:02


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 09:34.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.