Facebook   Twitter   Google+   YouTube Get FREE Online Help Free Download IObit Products  

Go Back   IObit.Com Forums > Lounge > Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Lounge The Lounge is a place where you can discuss more than our products or non computer related subjects.

Old Feb. 11th, 2010, 14:13
Mediator®

Quote:
Originally Posted by garybear View Post
Have you ever heard or know how to compress and decompress your disk. That's a new one for me. I've tried to read about it on the internet ,but I think it's over my head. Mike is telling me I have to decompress my Drive to make his program work. Maybe some of our members will have comments about that.
Hi garybear,

If you have checked the checkbox in the Folder Options as seen in the screenshot, all compressed files will be seen as blue, and the uncompressed files will be seen as black.

If it is not checked, when you right click and choose Properties and click then Advanced... button, you will see if there is a checkmark for "Compress contents to save disk space".

If you right click on "C:drive" icon and choose properties, you will see if it is compressed or not.

Compression of a total disk takes a lot of time if you choose to compress your disk. Same for decompression.

If a disk is partially compressed, you can compress it totaly by clicking the option as described above, and can decompress it totaly, if you uncheck it.

Cheers.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Folder_Options.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	4178  Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue_letters.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	4179  Click image for larger version

Name:	compression.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	4180  Click image for larger version

Name:	Drive_compression.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	4181  

- Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder and belongs to the man who can appreciate it. -
Old Feb. 11th, 2010, 14:27
IObit Golden Fan

Hi Garybear,

I don't know if anyone posted the manual yet but its on this page. I hope it helps. http://www.returnilvirtualsystem.com/support
Old Feb. 11th, 2010, 14:36
IObit Expert VIP

gary

in my opinion you do not need to compress your hard drive. People did this ages ago in the days of small hard drives and limited space, with todays large hard drives and availabilty of extra external drives it is not really needed.

As for returnil it saves changes to a mapped vitual drive [ z drive] which is a section within the c drive.

i thought the video was clear on how to enable /disable. You would have had to disable before uninstall with revo.

you saga reminds me of a right nightmare i had many years ago when i was given a free copy of "norton goback" of a different but similar program my pc was so messed up and would not boot had to put my hdd in another pc to format it so i could restart my pc and reload the whole set up. since then never touched these sandbox or goback programs but nearly tempted after watching the video.

did who get your lad to post on the forum so we can help him out or is he ok now?
Old Feb. 11th, 2010, 15:13
IObit Expert VIP

Thumbs down

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/products.html

and iobit 360 for the normal users.is plenty..
well i agree save your self a few problems.just use these all you need !

i read the nice write up ,and the gent defending the program.very nice and the time it took .very dramatic.scary,like all the advertising,lets put some fear into pc novice users,

well i agree with Gary in total,understand the frustrating experience,
this program is NOT for the regular joker ,ta use..as a matter of saying,
forget it..do not even bother..

use the above programs Free,yes even mbam,all you need..

i give this app 4/10 needs a lot of work . needs to be made user friendly

now the free version sucks totally..paid version ,cant tell you as i would not even bother,to park over 1 cent,for this type of app .
but its very kind for the pearson to take time out and post ,his story..

by the way i tried this peace of soft ware ,and flucked my 2nd test pc,
froze it ,and a reboot ,the same,win7 was not happy with it..

but a fast image recover all is good..

itsmejjj

Last edited by itsmejjj : Feb. 11th, 2010 at 15:17.
Old Feb. 11th, 2010, 15:38

Default General reply to Gary

Hi Gary,
The logs indicated that the cause of the issue was due to your HDD being compressed and/or the RVS folders being compressed. We are working to provide support for this type of configuration in RVS 2010, but there are other priorities that need to be addressed first:

1. Multi disk virtualization (being tested now in the RVS Labs Beta version)
2. File and folder exclusions (in RVS Labs)
3. Support for Solid State hard drives (in RVS Labs now) - partially tested in RVS Labs where the cache created for a non-system partition can be created and maintained on a different disk - Ex: Virtualize Data drive D:\ and place the cache on sacrificial platter drive E:\. We are working towards full support by supporting this for the actual System Partition.
4. System file recovery (v3.2?)
5. Multi-state restore (v3.2?) - carry a virtual state across restarts for program and configurations testing before committing them to the real system.
6. AI/Machine learning antimalware engine - we have been developing this for several years and it has entered the final training phase before it is introduced to the public. Estimate this as some time later this year
7. Distributed immunity - where information about good and bad content is shared between RVS clients to provide a proactive means for containing an outbreak and then eliminating it from the network before it has a chance to cause widespread damage or loss of productivity.

All of this may seem like Greek to the novice user and it is true that some research and experimentation is required on the part of the user to understand the strategy embodied in RVS 2010. To get you started on the path to a more secure computing environment (that may or may not employ virtualization) I strongly recommend the following threads at the Wilders Security forums. Though the site has a large population of researchers, experts, and general PC security enthusiasts, there is a great deal of information that the novice to average computer user will find of interest:

Securing Your PC and Data
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=252253

Light Virtualization - comparisons of various system level virtualization solutions

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=196103
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=230459

The light virtualization threads are dated, but the general concepts discussed are still valid and will give you a better idea as to what the System Safe feature in RVS actually does and how the various alternatives in this space compare on that specific point.

I hope this helps and we look forward to your feedback and suggestions as RVS evolves.

Kind Regards
Mike
Old Feb. 11th, 2010, 15:57
Administrator

Smile Welcome

A belated welcome to the forum Coldmoon

Thanks for your informative posts, very interesting

I have been lurking around your forum lately (yeah, that was me) and noticed that you do not recommend using Revo to uninstall Returnil and only recommend using Add or Remove Programs

As a side note, have you seen the new IObit Advanced Uninstaller ?
Some one from Returnil might want to give it a spin and make sure it works ok with Returnil, especially since they are both being 'offered' by IObit.
Note: IObit Advanced Uninstaller has not been officially released to the public yet, it's only available through this forum

All the best, woz of oz

NEW USER PUBLIC PROFILE POLICY effective on February 01, 2013 !
It is compulsory to add your OS + Computer Details to your Profile

Usage of IObit Products
Information about using IObit software
Also contains a wealth of diverse information on many different related subjects
Old Feb. 11th, 2010, 16:11
Expert User

Hi Mike,

Thanks for all the info.

I may have misinterpreted something from the manual regarding uninstalling from Windows Safe Mode and I apologize to Gary for suggesting something that doesn't work, according to your previous post. From the manual, on page 21 :
Quote:
1. System Safe (Virtual System):
▪ Disable Virtual System in Windows Safe Mode: Turns the System
Safe feature OFF when you start your computer in Windows Safe
Mode. This is a safety and emergency recovery option that will allow
you to uninstall and then reinstall the program if your preference file
becomes damaged or corrupt for any reason which may result in the
System Safe feature getting “stuck” in the ON mode
. Important note: It
is strongly recommended that you do not turn this option OFF!
I got that wrong apparently.

A humble suggestion : perhaps there should be a clearly identified section in the index, pointing to a specific set of instructions, on how to return to a normal Windows session. A quick how-to, basically, for those who may get "stuck".

Just a thought..

===
Old Feb. 11th, 2010, 16:17

Hi wozofoz and thank you for the warm welcome. I have made an inquiry with the QC team to get it added to the compatibility testing program and will advise on any cautions as soon as I get the information.

Mike
Old Feb. 11th, 2010, 16:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by So_sad View Post
Hi Mike,

Thanks for all the info.

I may have misinterpreted something from the manual regarding uninstalling from Windows Safe Mode and I apologize to Gary for suggesting something that doesn't work, according to your previous post. From the manual, on page 21 :

I got that wrong apparently.

A humble suggestion : perhaps there should be a clearly identified section in the index, pointing to a specific set of instructions, on how to return to a normal Windows session. A quick how-to, basically, for those who may get "stuck".

Just a thought..

===
Hi,
You are correct and this section of the manual needs to be updated as soon as possible - good catch

That particular text is a legacy from RVS 2008 and older where uninstall was possible in Safe Mode. With the changes between 2008 and 2010, this is no longer possible, but the fact that System Safe virtualization is deactivated in Safe Mode is still valid and allows modifications that aide in recovery from a damaged installation/uninstall.

Mike
Old Feb. 11th, 2010, 16:31
Expert User

Well Mike, thanks for clarifying because for a moment there, I thought I had hallucinated or something. I've done my fair share of testing and have gone through a few manuals in the process, so I thought I was helping there.

Looking forward to new and better stuff in the near future. I might actually try RVS once retaining sessions across reboots becomes an option ; some malware just don't run under VMWare or other virtualization environments. But I get malware only when I choose to get malware lol.

===