Facebook   Twitter   Google+   YouTube Get FREE Online Help Free Download IObit Products  

Go Back   IObit.Com Forums > Advanced SystemCare > ASC General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

ASC General Discussions Let's share the unique experience, magic techniques, howtos, solutions and everything of Advanced SystemCare.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May. 25th, 2010, 05:37
jckinnick jckinnick is offline
IObit Fan
 
Join Date: 25 May 2010
Posts: 59
Default Should i delete cloned files?

I did a scan of cloned files and while the files have the same name the locations are different. How do i know if they need to be deleted?
  #2  
Old May. 25th, 2010, 06:08
wozofoz's Avatar
wozofoz wozofoz is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: 06 Apr 2009
Posts: 1,664
Exclamation Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by jckinnick View Post
I did a scan of cloned files and while the files have the same name the locations are different. How do i know if they need to be deleted?
Welcome to the forum jckinnick
I can't answer your question, I can only suggest extreme caution

If you are having problems that you think might be caused by cloned/duplicate files it would be best to investigate the matter further and fully before deleting anything.

If you are looking to free up some space then I think it would be best to look somewhere else.

Cloned files has been discussed many times, one discussion is Here

All the best, woz of oz
__________________
FORUM USAGE GUIDELINES - Read this first
Description of IObit Forum features and requirements - Reading this is compulsory
The thread also includes Handy Links

NEW USER PUBLIC PROFILE POLICY effective on February 01, 2013 !
It is compulsory to add your OS + Computer Details to your Profile

Usage of IObit Products
Information about using IObit software
Also contains a wealth of diverse information on many different related subjects
  #3  
Old May. 25th, 2010, 06:09
solbjerg's Avatar
solbjerg solbjerg is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: 24 May 2007
Posts: 7,220
Default

Hi jckinnick
Please read about "cloned files" in all the posts about them in the forum.
Find the posts by using "Advanced Search".
Recommandations also in Usage of IObit Products
(link in my signature)
The prudent way to use the cloned files finder is to find them and then check each and every one of them one by one and delete those you don't need.
The same file in two or more different directories, could be a backup and/or another address for the file that you like in that location too.
So best advice - TAKE CARE! Some of the double addresses may be necessary!!!
Cheers
solbjerg
p.s. Hi woz - we answered in unison



Quote:
Originally Posted by jckinnick View Post
I did a scan of cloned files and while the files have the same name the locations are different. How do i know if they need to be deleted?
__________________
太阳山 (solbjerg)
Ceterum censeo Usage of IObit Products esse legendum
(Furthermore I think that Usage of IObit Products must be read)
Itemized subjects Table of content
In relation to defragmentation Think about defragmentation
Clean Install concept Clean Install
Introduction to the Forum Forum Guidelines
  #4  
Old May. 25th, 2010, 07:01
jckinnick jckinnick is offline
IObit Fan
 
Join Date: 25 May 2010
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wozofoz View Post
Welcome to the forum jckinnick
I can't answer your question, I can only suggest extreme caution

If you are having problems that you think might be caused by cloned/duplicate files it would be best to investigate the matter further and fully before deleting anything.

If you are looking to free up some space then I think it would be best to look somewhere else.

Cloned files has been discussed many times, one discussion is Here

All the best, woz of oz


Sorry i guess i should have searched the forum first. That thread had pretty much the same exact question i was asking. One thing i didn't check was the size of the files. It was a very large amount of files that were listed at least 100.

A lot of them were Google Earth plug ins for some reason. I don't even really use Google Eath very often.
  #5  
Old May. 25th, 2010, 11:33
enoskype's Avatar
enoskype enoskype is offline
Mediator®
 
Join Date: 27 Oct 2006
Posts: 10,295
Default

Hi jckinnick,

If you are not using Google Earth, then uninstall it and you can delete the large files relevant to Google Earth if they are still there.

Cheers.
__________________
enoskype

- Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder and belongs to the man who can appreciate it. -
  #6  
Old May. 25th, 2010, 15:27
garybear garybear is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: 23 Nov 2008
Posts: 1,345
Wink Hi friend!

Hi friend!! My opinion is to forget duplicate files, but if they are really bugging you, this is the way I handle duplicate files. Down load and install this program; it's freeware. (Search Everything). Now just start typing some thing in the upper right corner. You will see in my screen shots that I have Major Geeks several times. I only need it once. If you had music or pictures in a lot of places, probably not needed either.I have found that if a file is only duplicated once, it is for a good reason and you need to leave it alone. Getting carried away and deleting duplicate files will cause you a lot of grief and gain you very little free disk space. If used wisely, it can be helpful. If used unwisely, it can cause you a reformat. Pictures and Music are both good places to remove duplicated files. Otherwise use extreme caution!!!==garybear
http://www.voidtools.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot00182.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	5336  Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot00183.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	277.0 KB
ID:	5337  Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot00184.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	274.4 KB
ID:	5338  

Last edited by garybear : May. 25th, 2010 at 15:34.
  #7  
Old Apr. 23rd, 2011, 19:34
BobPazol BobPazol is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 16 Jan 2011
Posts: 1
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by garybear View Post
Hi friend!! My opinion is to forget duplicate files, but if they are really bugging you, this is the way I handle duplicate files. Down load and install this program; it's freeware. (Search Everything). Now just start typing some thing in the upper right corner. You will see in my screen shots that I have Major Geeks several times. I only need it once. If you had music or pictures in a lot of places, probably not needed either.I have found that if a file is only duplicated once, it is for a good reason and you need to leave it alone. Getting carried away and deleting duplicate files will cause you a lot of grief and gain you very little free disk space. If used wisely, it can be helpful. If used unwisely, it can cause you a reformat. Pictures and Music are both good places to remove duplicated files. Otherwise use extreme caution!!!==garybear
http://www.voidtools.com/
Thanks for the complete and thoroughly proper response to the query. I found it perfectly straight forward, and I will look for you on this the "threads" in the future.
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Get FREE Online Help



Free Download IObit Products




Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cloned File Finder jnreichert ASC General Discussions 12 Mar. 26th, 2010 16:43
highjack log....what can i delete??? ccsd0065 IObit Security 360 15 Mar. 6th, 2010 10:04
Cloned Files Finder Mongoose ASC General Discussions 6 Aug. 21st, 2009 08:25
Shortcut Fixer - question re use of to delete *.lnk files! necmac ASC General Discussions 12 May. 29th, 2009 18:01
what should i delete IcyFrostPyro ASC General Discussions 5 Dec. 29th, 2008 22:01


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 22:53.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.