IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

W8 and W8.1 WARNING

scrd01

Hi Cicely,

PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THE SAFE BOOT OPTION

>> IS NOT DIRECTLY AVAILABLE UPON REBOOT <<

dont know when MS will revert this change

Any blue/black screens of death cannot therefor be backed-out, using this option

I would suggest that for W8 users that any and all driver updates are completed in a real-time mode

Roy

Permanent Boot options for W8/8.1

Hi All,

I would strongly advice to the users of Windows 8/8.1 to use small BootIUTuner 2.0 utility program to have all the options of start (example: Safe Mode, etc.).

In that way, you can have the options on every restart before booting.

Personally, it is the first program that I install to every PC that has W8 or W8.1

I hope this is useful to all users who may have a problem for starting Windows 8/8.1 in the future.

I also strongly suggest to IObit that they release either in ASC or a stand alone similar program to that one, in fact it should be installed together with ASC, SD, and Driver Booster automatically in Windows 8/8.1 with the option of the user to disable it.

Cheers.

• Like 2

Hi scrd01 and enoskype,

Sorry for my late reply.

Thanks for your feedbacks and suggestions.

@enoskype, I have reported your suggestion to our product team for consideration. Hope we can develop a better tool that can benefit our users. :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

This was originally posted by Sunny Staines but want to put it here as an extra safeguard.

"How to Fix F8 For Safe Mode in Windows 8

With Windows 8, Microsoft updated the standard boot menu policy to include the new Modern UI recovery environment. They also reduced the amount of time Windows waits for an interrupt in the boot sequence to nearly nothing. To get that classic F8 behavior back we need to restore the legacy boot menu policy. To do this, hit the Win + X keyboard combination and launch and elevated command prompt

"command prompt [admin]"

When the command prompt opens, run the following:

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

That’s really all there is to it. Now, when your computer boots up, you can mash the F8 key to view the classic Advanced Boot Options.

If you want to return the boot menu back to normal, you can use this command:

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard"

I just got my laptop back from Geek Squad a few hours. They had it for 3 days! I had just installed some windows updates and restarted to apply the updates. Once the reboot was complete, I was stuck on the lock screen with no way to access to start in safe mode or recovery options. I called Geek Squad and tech support could not assist me over the phone so I had to take it in. They did a hardware diagnostic to rule out any hardware problems. No problems found. The solution was to restore to factory. Thankfully, I've only had this laptop a couple months & didn't have much on it that I can't get back fairly quickly. But I was without my laptop for 3 days and had to use my "old" laptop with windows 7. Oh, the horror!!!! I almost had to seek therapy!

I'm gonna try out your recommendation, enoskype. Just wish I had seen this post a few days earlier.http://forums.iobit.com/core/images/icons/icon11.png

Hopefully, we'll see a similar tool included with ASC in the near future!

Personally, ASC is the first program I install to any PC!http://forums.iobit.com/core/images/icons/icon6.png

Some of the new Computers do not have "Legacy Mode" Many of these are also Pre-Installed 8.1 -> and many things that work in 8.1 will not work in 8.0-->

sorry to hear you had to took your sysem to GeekSquad. but since you never mention what your Laptop is or what your default OS was.

good luck on future updates...

Snuffy, I have Toshiba Satellite C75 Series laptop. It came pre-installed with Windows 8.1. I'm also using Kaspersky Internet Security Suite.

Since this is now basically a new computer again (just purchased in April), after completing the ASC 8(beta), SD, & Driver Booster installs & running scans, installed the BootIUTuner 2.0 utility. I updated drivers and restarted; installed windows updates & restarted, installed a few more programs & restarted. Everything works perfectly & I get the boot option menu after each restart. Nothing seems to have slowed down. There's only one extra click to choose boot option. I'd rather have the extra click than have to take my laptop in again.

I would love to see IObit offer a tool like this in ASC and/or as a standalone program.