IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Help! Thousands of JPEG files deleted by ASC

Dayyana

My C drive kept getting full, so a friend ran Advanced SystemCare v9 trial version from the internet, asking it to clean and to remove duplicates. Immediately afterwards I discovered that many folders of photos and videos have been totally emptied. The same friend ran Pandora Recovery and it only recovered a small handful of files, not the thousands that have gone missing. I have backup for most of them except one file that I had intensively worked on over the last 2 weeks. Completely empty. The folder is still there but empty. The folders next to this one in the menu seem to be fine (if they have lost some content I cannot know, but they are not emptied). The missing JPEGs and videos are all from D drive. There's a photo with a sample of what is missing in one area.

I had AVG antivirus which claimed my computer was clean. After all the files went missing I uninstalled that and loaded the latest BitDefender Total Security and that too says my computer is clean.

I've just found a whole lot more photo folders totally emptied and they all say that were last modified at the time and on the date that ASC was running. A lot had not been touched recently so it is not just recent folders that have been emptied. The "last modified" times are each a minute or two apart during the time that ASC was running.

I feel sick! My friend keeps trying to blame a virus, but I say that the fact that all the emptied folders were last modified during the hours that ASC was running is more than suspicious.

I can get the photos back from backup or the camera memory cards but all the editing and naming will be gone.

Please HELP!!

Thanks Daskalos. The supercial scan didn't bring up anything of note, but the Deep Scan which is going to take 2 hours is showing the file folder names which were affected and showing 134,028 files. That's going to go well beyond the free limit, so I guess that they will ask me to pay soon. Worth it if it works.

But whatever caused ASC to do such a dastardly deed and selectively delete so many valuable files?

Before 1 year i had the same problem. one Partition was lost with many Pics of 20 years!

Easus has fixed all after 3 hrs working and paying 100$ about. But im happy again!!

well i never had use the dublicate function! I tested only a preview and it found abou 10 files with together 100 bits about. But no Pics!!! OK: all my pic are on partition E. And im fixing only the Partition C !

It's not good news. I paid to buy the full version of EaseUS but it didn't bring back the missing files, only duplicates of ones which weren't missing. Unfortunately I may be using their 30 day money-back guarantee. I still have emptied folders all over the place at random. See photo. I will contact EaseUS support and see if they can help. Meanwhile, I've removed every trace of ASC from my computer. I'm very scared of it now. Moral of the story: Backup before letting anyone "help" with your computer.

• 3 years later...
It's not good news. I paid to buy the full version of EaseUS but it didn't bring back the missing files, only duplicates of ones which weren't missing. Unfortunately I may be using their 30 day money-back guarantee. I still have emptied folders all over the place at random. See photo. I will contact EaseUS support and see if they can help. Meanwhile, I've removed every trace of ASC from my computer. I'm very scared of it now. Moral of the story: Backup before letting anyone "help" with your computer.

Unfortunately, it happens from time to time. No one's perfect=( Try some good alternatives