IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

ASC trying to download Picasa38-setup.exe

Megas

i dont know what activity, all i did was do my daily scan to clean my internet chache, registry fixes, remove spyware etc. Halfway through the scan avast popped up saying it blocked ASC from downloading an exe file for picasa which is an image viewing program which i dont use or even have installed. nothing on the ASC scan results suggest it needed to download anything, it was just the standard few spyware cookies, trash, and privicy stuff (internet cache etc) everything else on the scan was ok.

i just really dont like that ASC tried to download this without my knowledge and i dont know what it may have downloaded and installed in the past

same also the URL from the file it tried to download the exe from is a legit google location as picasa is a google product so i doubt think its a virus infection or anything.

i think it might be IOBIT doing some branding deal with google and try to forcefully download it onto users computers.

The following is from herdProtect:

The installer utilizes the installCore download manager which may bundle additional offers for various ad-supported toolbars, extensions and utilities. The application picasa38-setup.exe by MY-IWEB has been detected as adware by 10 anti-malware scanners. The program is a setup application that uses the installCore installer. The setup program uses the InstallCore engine which may bundle additional software offers including toolbars and browser extensions.

The following is from herdProtect:

The installer utilizes the installCore download manager which may bundle additional offers for various ad-supported toolbars, extensions and utilities. The application picasa38-setup.exe by MY-IWEB has been detected as adware by 10 anti-malware scanners. The program is a setup application that uses the installCore installer. The setup program uses the InstallCore engine which may bundle additional software offers including toolbars and browser extensions.

is there a way to disable it so i can reinstall advanced system care? as i dont think a paying customer like myself should be forced to have these so called ad-supported toolbars and programs installed without knowledge

also it doesnt explain why ASC was downloading this file in the first place without any acknowledgment from me in anyway.

What site did you download ASC from. Sometimes a third party site will add additional components to the ASC installer. We recommend that you dwnload ASC from the site(s) in the News & Offers section of the forum.

i got it from the iobit main website i always get programs from the main websites. also ive had ASC installed since the 5th of jan and ive never had this issue till now, and i made sure to uncheck everything when i installed it.

Hi Megas

Unfortunately, it appears that Iobit have no comment to make on this issue, which is certainly a cause for concern. We are volunteers in the forum and are not in a position to address issues such as this, and we rely on feedback from Iobit. In this circumstance, I can certainly understand your decision to stop using Iobit products.

I think the reason can be found by looking at the main interface: speedup, protect and toolbox. All of those items must require some type some type of setup application and even if you are not running them at present, they are available to run at a click. Just a wild guess, but since IObit is not talking, thought I would take a shot, based on my previous post.

I can see absolutely no reason why ASC should download a third party .exe file without the prior knowledge/permission of the user and also an explanation of why such .exe file is required.

This is the most serious issue which was posted on the forum over the weekend and it should have been addressed by Iobit. Many other posts were responded to and it is hard to understand why this issue received no response.

so my avast antivirus blocked this connection of advanced system care pro 9 from downloading picasa38-setup.exe from http://dl.google.com/picasa/picasa38-setup.exe because of this i have decided to uninstall advanced system care as god knows what its been downloading and installing onto my system.

this has really broken my trust with IOBIT products.

Hi Megas,

Please provide us with the URL you tried to download the program so that we can look into it.

Thank you.

i want to know why ASC was attempting to download picasa without my consent

Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience and confusion this caused to you.

We guess you clicked to test your network speed in Internet Boost. According to our strategy, it will download a safe file to test the network speed. In this way, it will get a more accurate result of your network speed. Please rest assured the clean we download is safe and will be deleted after download. We will improve this function in ASC 9.2.

Thanks for your understanding.

thank you for the responce i just got overly worried. would be nice to know what file the internet boost test will download in advance and make it clear that it will download a 3rd party file.

Hi,

I have recorded your opinion to improve the function. :-)

Cheers.

Archived