IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Game Booster - problem

papatech

I've only tried the free version. First computer ran Game Booster and successfully shut down many services and then restarted them.

My second computer is the problem.

This is the window that appears when I click on Game Booster

"Cannot find file servicelist_xp.ini . Click OK to exit."

Then the only service that executes when switching to Gaming mode is "Cleaning & Defrag RAM...". Nothing else is listed. I can then return to Normal Mode and exit properly/safely.

System is an Acer 1712SMi Laptop, Windows XP Pro w/ SP2, Intel P4 3.0GHz, 1.00GB of RAM.

I've only tried the free version. First computer ran Game Booster and successfully shut down many services and then restarted them.

My second computer is the problem.

This is the window that appears when I click on Game Booster

"Cannot find file servicelist_xp.ini . Click OK to exit."

Then the only service that executes when switching to Gaming mode is "Cleaning & Defrag RAM...". Nothing else is listed. I can then return to Normal Mode and exit properly/safely.

System is an Acer 1712SMi Laptop, Windows XP Pro w/ SP2, Intel P4 3.0GHz, 1.00GB of RAM.

I have the same issue also on a Windows XP desktop. However, I have found a solution. Well, it is a workaround at any rate.

The file servicelist_xp.ini is located in the Advanced System Care directory in my case that is: C:\Program Files\IObit\Advanced SystemCare 3. Within this same directory is the game booster exe file which is ran from within the Advanced SystemCare utility. That file is: Sup_GameBooster.exe. If you double click directly on the exe file game booster will run and properly read the servicelist_xp.ini file.

I am no programmer but I would hazard to guess that the path to the ini file is being messed up by using the link within the Advanced SystemCare Utility. But if that is the case why would it work properly the first time?

I have not tested game booster on my wife's Windows Vista laptop. If it behaves differently than it does on a Windows XP, I'll come back to report it.

EDIT: Tested my wife's Windows Vista laptop. Game Booster works properly with Windows Vista. So the issue so far is only with Windows XP...

Hi plainab,

Trial on all my OSs, ei., XP Pro, Vista Ultimate and Windows7 Ultimate, Game Booster runs as it should and stops the unnecessary sevices in gaming mode and starts them in normal mode.

I can not repeat your error here.

Please try renaming Sup_GameBooster.exe, run ASC 3, exit it completely, and rename gamebooster.exe to original name, and try only clicking ONCE on the icon in the Utilities Tuneup.

Cheers.

GameBooster Problem **FIXED**

Thanks for the help.

I renamed SUP_GAMEBOOSTER.EXE, restarted ASC3, (the gamebooster icon disappeared). I shut down ASC3, returned SUP_GAMEBOOSTER to original filename, restarted ASC3 and problem resolved.

Thanks to both for the help.

I had the same error. All I did was uninstall the advancedsystemcare3 and redownloaded the program and reinstalled it. Now the gamebooster is working fine. I been using the free version and finally upgraded to pro just 2 days ago.

Hi plainab,

Trial on all my OSs, ei., XP Pro, Vista Ultimate and Windows7 Ultimate, Game Booster runs as it should and stops the unnecessary sevices in gaming mode and starts them in normal mode.

I can not repeat your error here.

Please try renaming Sup_GameBooster.exe, run ASC 3, exit it completely, and rename gamebooster.exe to original name, and try only clicking ONCE on the icon in the Utilities Tuneup.

Cheers.

I completely exited ASC3. I renamed sup_gamebooster.exe to sup_gamebooster_bak.exe. I started ASC3. I exited it completely and restored the filename. I restarted ASC3. I clicked only once on the GameBooster Icon within ASC3. The program opened. I was able to enter gaming mode. After a few minutes I went back to normal mode. Then to make sure things were good to go. I exited ASC3 and restarted my PC. After the reboot process completed, I opened ASC3 and clicked ONCE on the GameBooster icon. I promptly received the exact same message about not being able to locate the servicelist_xp.ini file.

This does not solve the error. I have no desire to re-install or rename any files every time I want to use this feature. I have found it better to create a short cut on my desktop for the sup_gamebooster.exe file. By directly accessing the exe file gamebooster reads the servicelist_xp.ini file correctly every time.

Again I want to stress that this so far has only happened with the FREE version on WINDOWS XP.

Hi plainab

Do you have both servicelist_xp.ini and servicelist_vista.ini in the folder?

What is the contents of servicelist_xp.ini?

Are there any differences in the content of services between your different machines?

I suppose you have tried a clean install?

Cheers

solbjerg

I completely exited ASC3. I renamed sup_gamebooster.exe to sup_gamebooster_bak.exe. I started ASC3. I exited it completely and restored the filename. I restarted ASC3. I clicked only once on the GameBooster Icon within ASC3. The program opened. I was able to enter gaming mode. After a few minutes I went back to normal mode. Then to make sure things were good to go. I exited ASC3 and restarted my PC. After the reboot process completed, I opened ASC3 and clicked ONCE on the GameBooster icon. I promptly received the exact same message about not being able to locate the servicelist_xp.ini file.

This does not solve the error. I have no desire to re-install or rename any files every time I want to use this feature. I have found it better to create a short cut on my desktop for the sup_gamebooster.exe file. By directly accessing the exe file gamebooster reads the servicelist_xp.ini file correctly every time.

Again I want to stress that this so far has only happened with the FREE version on WINDOWS XP.

Hi plainab

Do you have both servicelist_xp.ini and servicelist_vista.ini in the folder?

Yes, both files are there on my XP desktop and both files are there on the Vista laptop.

What is the contents of servicelist_xp.ini?

For my XP desktop:

Alerter
Application Layer Gateway Service
Application Management
Automatic Updates
Background Intelligent Transfer Service
Computer Browser
ClipBook
Cryptographic Services
COM+ Event System
COM+ System Application
Computer Browser
Distributed Link Tracking Client
Distributed Transaction Coordinator
Error Reporting Service
Fast User Switching Compatibility
Help and Support
Human Interface Device Access
HTTP SSL
IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service
Indexing Service
IPSEC Services
Logical Disk Manager
Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service
Messenger
MS Software Shadow Copy Provider
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing
Network DDE
Network DDE DSDM
Net Logon
Network Location Awareness (NLA)
Network Provisioning Service
NT LM Security Support Provider
Performance Logs and Alerts
Print Spooler
Portable Media Serial Number Service
Protected Storage
QoS RSVP
Remote Desktop Help Session Manager
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator
Remote Registry
Routing and Remote Access
Secondary Logon
Server
Shell Hardware Detection
Smart Card
SSDP Discovery Service
System Event Notification
Task Scheduler
Telnet
Uninterruptible Power Supply
WebClient
Windows Management Instrumentation Driver Extensions
Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
Windows Time
WMI Performance Adapter
Virtual Disk Service

Are there any differences in the content of services between your different machines?
Are we talking what actually runs on the machines or what the servicelist_xp.ini and servicelist_vista.ini show. If you're talking about the ini files, then I'd have to say no. The contents of the ini files appear to be identical on the two machines. That is servicelist_xp.ini on one is the same on the other. The same is true for the servicelist_vista.ini file. If your talking about what actually runs, then yes there are differences. What all those differences are I couldn't begin to tell you.

I suppose you have tried a clean install?
No. Not yet. I suppose I could try. I don't have much faith right now that that would actually solve the problem though. But I'll give it a try and report back on what happens.

[EDIT] I removed ASC3 Free using Revo Uninstaller. I rebooted my Windows XP PC. I reinstalled ASC3 Free from the file I downloaded on 2-26-2009 via the update button within ASC3 Free. After initial automatic scan, I went to utilities and clicked once on GameBooster. GameBooster opened up with a list of services that were running (some were stopped). I clicked once on Gaming Mode. All of the services were stopped. After a few minutes wait I clicked on Normal Mode. All services were turned on and running (possibly even those that were originally stopped). I decided to see what would happen under a "next day" situation. I exited GameBooster. I exited ASC3 Free. I restarted my Windows XP PC. After reboot process was complete, I opened ASC3. I went to utilities and clicked once on GameBooster. A little window popped up that said

Could not find servicelist_xp.ini .
Click OK to exit.

Pressed OK and GameBooster was there but had no services listed at all.

I can however click on the desktop shortcut that I created which directly accesses Sup_GameBooster.exe and GameBooster can find and utilize the file servicelist_xp.ini

So until this issue can be solved for ASC3 Free on Windows XP, I will continue to use the self created desktop shortcut for direct access to GameBooster.[/EDIT]

Hi plainab

Very good description!

During initial scan - did you notice "problems" anywhere - did you check what they were?

This is especially important in System optimization.

Sorry for the bother you are having!

I do not do gaming on the net, so I do not use the application, I wonder why others isn't reporting the same thing?

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi plainab

Very good description!

During initial scan - did you notice "problems" anywhere - did you check what they were?

This is especially important in System optimization.

Sorry for the bother you are having!

I do not do gaming on the net, so I do not use the application, I wonder why others isn't reporting the same thing?

Cheers

solbjerg

Initial automatic scan only runs those scans found under Maintain Windows. I did not go into diagnose system until after doing the GameBooster tests.

I had items in Registry Fix, Privacy Sweep, and Junk Files Clean. There wasn't anything in there that would have affected ASC or GameBooster.

Since GameBooster works fine outside of the ASC interface all of the time and it works correctly the very first time within the ASC interface, I would have to say that it isn't caused by anything that ASC is cleaning/optimizing.

I do not do gaming on the net either. I just have 512mb of ram and like to use GameBooster to shut down some extra processes so that I can play some single player games that without GameBooster have caused Windows to pop up a box about having low memory and changing the size of the swap file or something along those lines...

Just an FYI I usually have the SmartRAM feature running all the time. After the re-install, I did not initialize it while doing the test. Hoping that perhaps there was some interference between the two apps since they both mess with the RAM. But no, it doesn't matter whether SmartRAM is running or not.

I haven't heard of anyone with the paid version running on Windows XP report this problem.

Any way to get a good for one day only debug license number to see if the issue goes away within the non-free version? I some how doubt it. But it doesn't hurt to ask....

Could there be any Windows XP specific settings that might be interfering? Maybe a setting for a certain file behavior or something. I don't know. I'm grasping at straws here....

Hi plainab

Nice lucid mails!

Another straw for you :-)

What about temperature?

It can sometimes produce strange occurrences.

Cheers

solbjerg

Temperature? I've not a clue. Don't know how to find out what the temp is of the computer. I can tell you that the room temperature is usually between 70 and 75 F. The cpu fan does kick on and run every so often especially during long and heavy cpu usage periods, but that would be expected. I do have the side panel off at the moment, and that should help keep things cooler. It's off not because of temperature, but because I opened it up to install a new dvd drive and found out I need an adapter in order to make it work.

The side panel has been off during all tests. Do I need to put it on and see if that does something? I don't see how that would affect just the communication between ASC3 and GameBooster. There are no other issues that my computer is having. Everything else is working just fine...

Just a side note: When you buy a new internal drive make sure that the drive you get matches the interface ports that you have. Don't buy a SATA drive when your motherboard has IDE ports. The adapter is not that expensive, but it's better to get the right drive the first time around.

I just have updated GameBosster for my free version of SystemCare and I have a problem. The previous version worked without any problems on my Windows Seven (7) Beta, because the list of services is identical with Vista. But new version of GameBooster says that it doesn't support my system while it did before. Can somebody fix this for me and many other people trying Windows Seven? I was using previous versions all the time for about two-three weeks now and didn't have any problems with it so i think it's compatible with Seven as well.

I hope you will post the update very quickly :). Thanks guys, you do a great job there for all of us gamers :).

Hi plainab,

There is an updated GameBooster.exe within update of ASC 3, please give feedback after update if it has solved your problem.

Cheers.

Just got the update. GameBooster works correctly from within ASC 3 on both my Windows XP desktop and my Windows Vista laptop. Not sure what was done in the update, but I'm glad it was done.

Ive noticed, if i start Game Booster before i start my games my cursor inside the game does not work. But starting the game then Alt/Tab back into windows to start Game Booster seems to work.

XP sp3

Call of Duty 4 and 5 online

• 3 weeks later...

game booster

Initial automatic scan only runs those scans found under Maintain Windows. I did not go into diagnose system until after doing the GameBooster tests.

I had items in Registry Fix, Privacy Sweep, and Junk Files Clean. There wasn't anything in there that would have affected ASC or GameBooster.

Since GameBooster works fine outside of the ASC interface all of the time and it works correctly the very first time within the ASC interface, I would have to say that it isn't caused by anything that ASC is cleaning/optimizing.

I do not do gaming on the net either. I just have 512mb of ram and like to use GameBooster to shut down some extra processes so that I can play some single player games that without GameBooster have caused Windows to pop up a box about having low memory and changing the size of the swap file or something along those lines...

Just an FYI I usually have the SmartRAM feature running all the time. After the re-install, I did not initialize it while doing the test. Hoping that perhaps there was some interference between the two apps since they both mess with the RAM. But no, it doesn't matter whether SmartRAM is running or not.

I haven't heard of anyone with the paid version running on Windows XP report this problem.

Any way to get a good for one day only debug license number to see if the issue goes away within the non-free version? I some how doubt it. But it doesn't hurt to ask....

Could there be any Windows XP specific settings that might be interfering? Maybe a setting for a certain file behavior or something. I don't know. I'm grasping at straws here....

I am having problems with GB also it won't start it does the RAM clean and defrag and that is it nothing else. I have removed ASC every day for the past few days and it works properly but I'm tired of having to do this.

Archived