Please help! Need to recover web history deleted by ASC 6

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help! Need to recover web history deleted by ASC 6

Good evening, my computer was having blue screens of death and so I called a technician that ran ASC 6.0 free edition on my computer using the default settings. The problem is it deleted all my chrome history leaving me without almost 50 tabs that I was reading for a research that I have to deliver on monday. There's no possible way I can search all those sites again and I'm desperately looking for a way to recover the links from the deleted history. Is it possible at all? Does anyone know if the program deletes the index.dat file? Can I maybe use a index.dat file reader to recover those sites (that's the only sollution I could find in google)? Thank you very much for your attention and for any suggestions, all answers will be highly appreciated!

edit: I'm sorry, here are my specs:
    AV: Avast free edition
    IObit: Advanced System Care 6.0 free edition

PC: Intel i7, 4Gb RAM

Hi RickA.

I don't know about the tool you mentioned... but here is an idea.

Have you tried the undelete tool in the Iobit toolbox to see if you can recover? Or maybe the ASC rescue function may work.

You may be out of luck.

Sincerely,
    -Mel
    Live long and prosper!
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi RickA

There are several possible options to recover Google Chrome history.

Using Index.dat Analyzer tool
      In order to recover deleted Index.dat Analyzer history, you can use Index.dat Analyzer tool. For that, first you need to download and install this software application onto the system and run the application. For quickly searching you can use Filter. Then you need to select the item that you want to recover and save those selected items. Thus, you can recover deleted history from Google Chrome.

Using System Restore
      There are several ways to recover deleted browsing history from Google Chrome. For that you, can use System Restore feature. It is a built-in utility that restores all deleted files. Select ‘Start’ and go to System Restore, and you can choose a restore point to which you need to restore the system to. The restore point that you choose must be a date that was saved before browsing history in Google Chrome was deleted. Using these steps you can easily recover browsing history in Google Chrome.

I hope these help. Also, in future if you have important pages which you need to keep, then you should Bookmark them. This will prevent them being lost if your browser history is deleted. I wouls also recommed that you get a different computer technician the next time you have a problem. He should have checked the settings before he ran ASC.
      To err is Human. To really mess things up you need a PC.

Comment

Originally posted by Scannan View Post
        Hi RickA

There are several possible options to recover Google Chrome history.

Using Index.dat Analyzer tool
        In order to recover deleted Index.dat Analyzer history, you can use Index.dat Analyzer tool. For that, first you need to download and install this software application onto the system and run the application. For quickly searching you can use Filter. Then you need to select the item that you want to recover and save those selected items. Thus, you can recover deleted history from Google Chrome.

Using System Restore
        There are several ways to recover deleted browsing history from Google Chrome. For that you, can use System Restore feature. It is a built-in utility that restores all deleted files. Select ‘Start’ and go to System Restore, and you can choose a restore point to which you need to restore the system to. The restore point that you choose must be a date that was saved before browsing history in Google Chrome was deleted. Using these steps you can easily recover browsing history in Google Chrome.

I hope these help. Also, in future if you have important pages which you need to keep, then you should Bookmark them. This will prevent them being lost if your browser history is deleted. I wouls also recommed that you get a different computer technician the next time you have a problem. He should have checked the settings before he ran ASC.

Hi Scannan!

Thank you for that. I know nothing about Chrome so was guessing in the dark. I was unaware that System Restore would return non IE files! You are an asset to us all!

Sincerely,
        -Mel
        Live long and Prosper!

Comment

Mel

Thank you for your very kind reply. As you know System Restore while a great tool is notoriously unreliable, so fingers crossed that RickA's problem will be solved. I hope RickA bookmarks important pages in future, as relying on browsing history for important sites is certainly a bad idea.

Comment

Thank you Melvin and Scannan!!

@ Scannan, I saw this page too, but I'm not sure the System Restore would effectively work in this case, and it could damage my computer in the process. I want to try an index.dat reader like this Analyzer, but I can't find the index.dat file, that's why I asked if the index.dat file is erased by ASC:/ but nevertheless, thank you for the suggestions, I appreciate a lot your effort on trying to help me

@ Melvin, I didn't notice the undelete feature, but do you know which files should I aim at undeleting? Which extensions or folders? To tell the truth, I was so angered by my techinician's mistake that I uninstalled the program at once, but I'll install it again and try to use this feature. Thank you very much for the attention!

Comment

RickA

The Internet history gets stored in the Windows Registry. There are also chances that the Internet history may get stored as Internet cookies too.
              The System Restore should recover it for you, and there is no reason why your computer should be damaged. Once you do a restore and recover your history, you can copy the relevant items and keep them safe in your documents folder, then you can undo/roll back the Restore if you wish.

Here is a link to a good site which may help you.

Comment

Hi RickA.

The undelete tool can be cumbersome if you don't know exactly what you wish to restore. I have no idea the Chrome filenames you will be looking for. If you wish to try this method... (and it is but an idea and probably time consuming) you could check (tick) all that were modified on the date the tabs were erased. It can take a while for the undelete tool to work and it will display all altered files.

Perhaps after your scan is complete type in "index.dat" in the small search box of the undeleter to see if that finds the files for you.

Sincerely,
                -Mel
                Live long and prosper!
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Melvin_Deal; Nov. 23rd, 2012, 17:17.

Comment

Maybe you should try the ASC Rescue function first?? Or have you already tried that?

Sincerely,
                  -Mel
                  Live long and prosper!

Comment

RickA

Mel is correct. The undelete can be complicated and cumbersome and requires knowledge of the exact files you are trying to undelete.

Here is some info for you regarding Index.dat files...

Index.dat files are hidden files on your computer that contain all tracks of your online activity, where have you been on internet, what sites you visited, list of URL-s, files and documents you recently accessed. Index.dat files stored on your computer are obviously a potential privacy threat as they can be found and viewed without your knowledge.

Why they exists?

Only Microsoft knows that for sure. According to them they are used to cache visited web sites and speed up Internet Explorer. The problem with this is it ' s simply not true: index.dat are hidden files that do not contain an actual web cache other than informations about your browsing habbits, they can ' t be deleted in any regular ways and there is absolutely no prove that those files in any way can speed up your browsing experience – they just sit there hidden and record where you have been on internet, simply as that.

Here is a link for the Analyser
                    Take your pick.

However I tink the System Restore option is the easiest.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the follow up! What do you guys mean by ASC rescue function? Scannan, thanks again for suggesting the system restore, but the reason I'm reluctant to use this option is my fear that I might not be able to undelete some files or take other actions first.. could this make any sense? I really don't know, because I know very little about informatics in general. But another reason, not as important, is that I think ASC deletes the registry information, besides having deleted all my cookies. So, with all the information deleted, I don't know if it would be able to restore the history, but if nothing else works I'll certainly try it

I've been trying in the last hour to undelete all index.dat, specially the one from chrome's folder. I've been using Recuva for that, that's a software I had some positive experience when an old hdd got broken. I've downloaded indexdat Analyzer plus other 3 indexdat viewers, but now its for sure, ASC deleted both index.dat from firefox and from chrome so to ensure my privacy. Chrome's index.dat file seems to have some problems when undeleting (I've enabled 'deep scan' in the hope that it might help in anyway), the file appears to be corrupt when recovered. Still, there's one positive discovery: Recuva can recover downloaded website information, so from those files (like images and so on) I might be able to find out which sites I visited, filtering by date. Of course it's going to take a long time, but not longer than if I'd have to search all those links again

Thank you very very much for caring and suggesting sollutions! if I find out how to do this I'll post as soon as I can

by the way, for a very weird reason ASC only doesn't delete the Internet Explorer's index.dat, unluckily for me I don't use IE anyhow
                      Last edited by RickA; Nov. 23rd, 2012, 18:33.

Comment

RickA

The ASC rescue function is where you can run the System Restore (see attached Screenshot)... if you open the Rescue centre and follow the instructions you will see howeasy it is to use.

ASC does not delete the Registry information, it rewrites it once it has removed the registry junk, but the restore system stores the information for the previous registries so it can restore the registry to previous states. So having deleted info will not affect the ability to restore to a previous state.

Also, understand that no deleted file is gone from your disc, they are simply disabled/removed from the file table. This is done by changing a 1 to a 0 in the file. That is how undelete works. It simply puts the file back to an abled state. The only time you will lose a file completely is if you delete it and then new data is written over the area of the disc where it was stored,,,or if you use a file shredder.

So, in effect, the more work you do on the disc after you do a file delete the more chance you create that you will not be able to recover it with undelete. This is particularly trye when a disc has little free space left.

As the internet history is in the Registry you would have been quite safe to do a system restore to a time before the history was deleted, as it would have restored the old Registry.

I think it would have been the easiest and safest solution for you, and I hope you lose your fear of the system restore, as it is a very useful tool for fixing problems.

However, you seem to have found a solution which you are comfortable with, and that is the most important thing. I hope all goes well.....AND BE SURE TO BOOKMARK YOUR IMPORTANT SITES IN FUTURE...
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Scannan; Nov. 23rd, 2012, 18:44.

Comment

Scannan, thank you very much for your patience, all my previous attempts failed so I'm more than ready to try the Rescue function. I created a Restore Point and clicked on 'undo changes' for a period that, if I'm not mistaken, ASC created right before doing any changes on the pc (in Windows's System Restore there's only one previous point dating back to yesterday (the day my techinician blew things up), not a single other restore point available). It says it's 'done', all registry value were changed, but what do I do now?:/ Should I try again the index.dat Analyzer? I tried to, but do you know what should I do? Once more, thank you very much for the help, you have no idea of how much you are helping me!

Comment

Hi RickA.

Im not sure that I understand... are you saying you ran system restore and there was no gain and you seek other suggestions?

I tried running Iobit Undelete from the toolbox and then using the search box on it (after it completed its scan) typing in "index.dat" and it narrowed everything to only 7 files (out of over 37,000)!! (as per my suggestion in post #8) Perhaps that method will work after all??:grin:

I also followed the above procedure but entered only .dat in the search box. About twenty items came out of that search, including the same 7 index.dat files... accompanied by about 12 dat files associated with various non browser softwares.

Don't be confused by the "modified on" column... It will show the date and the time that the Iobit undeleter located them as they had already been deleted (I think).

Sincerely,
                            -Mel
                            Live long and prosper!
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Melvin_Deal; Nov. 24th, 2012, 00:41.

Comment

Thank you Mel, the problem is that the only index.dat that are found, even after system restore, are the ones from microsoft's internet explorer, but I never use IE, only sometimes for emails. Usually I use Firefox or chrome, for my research I was using chrome because it loads faster. But now I can't find chrome's index.dat, even with the system restore trick. I can hardly believe I'll have to redo all my research, everything was basically ready, I was only lacking the time to put the information together in the text. All the days I spent searching for relevant information are gone, there's no way I'll be able to redo everything. But life is like that, it can't be simple, it's always against you. Thank you for your help, it was very kind of both of you to try to help me, thank you very much for your support! At least in some people we can always trust.

Comment

Working...
                              X