IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

ASC 6 PRO deleted shortcuts

WriterJC

ASC 6 PRO when delivered was evidently already set up for what ASC assumed to be best for users - wikthout any warming to the user. :evil: Specifically the Auto Care thing. B/c I thought v6 was like v5, I didn't bother to check it out.

"My Desktop" shortcut was in the lower lefthand side of my screen, then it disappeared completely in the last 2 weeks. Somewhere I found another shortcut, BUT it didn't look at all like the original. (It was square, white background, blue dots ... looked like something you'd find on My Computer for C drive.)

To ensure I'd have 2 of them on the Desktop, one went in the lower L-hand corner; the other on the Desktop big screen.

This morning after auto-care did its thing, BOTH of them disappeared.

I found the area where Auto-Care was, went to settings, restored EVERYTHING, and turned Auto-Care OFF; however, NONE of the "My Desktop" shortcuts returned.

I need explicit directions for restoring the "My Desktop" shortcut icon in the original, AND would appreciate confirmation that the icons did disappear as a result of Auto-Care.

Thanks,

WriterJC

O/S XP Home

ASC6 PRO

IObit Malware Fighter PRO

Auslogics Disk Defrag

Auslogics Boost Speed

Microsoft Security Essentials

Hi WriterJC

Sorry to hear you are having issues.

While I understand your frustration, I must point out that assuming any new program is set up to suit your machine, is a very bad idea. Always check settings and functions before you run a Utility. Also, before any repair is performed, the details of the items found for repair should be read to ensure that items which you require are not removed.

From what you describe it seems possible that autocare may have been responsible. The fix shortcut item in Autocare may be the culprit.

Did you try doing a system restore (use the rescue function in ASC) to a time before the Desktop Shortcut disappeared.

You could also Try the Winfix utility in ASC Toolbox. It has a section in the advanced option which deals with Desktop items.

ASC 6 PRO when delivered was evidently already set up for what ASC assumed to be best for users - wikthout any warming to the user. :evil: Specifically the Auto Care thing. B/c I thought v6 was like v5, I didn't bother to check it out.

"My Desktop" shortcut was in the lower lefthand side of my screen, then it disappeared completely in the last 2 weeks. Somewhere I found another shortcut, BUT it didn't look at all like the original. (It was square, white background, blue dots ... looked like something you'd find on My Computer for C drive.)

To ensure I'd have 2 of them on the Desktop, one went in the lower L-hand corner; the other on the Desktop big screen.

This morning after auto-care did its thing, BOTH of them disappeared.

I found the area where Auto-Care was, went to settings, restored EVERYTHING, and turned Auto-Care OFF; however, NONE of the "My Desktop" shortcuts returned.

I need explicit directions for restoring the "My Desktop" shortcut icon in the original, AND would appreciate confirmation that the icons did disappear as a result of Auto-Care.

Thanks,

WriterJC

O/S XP Home

ASC6 PRO

IObit Malware Fighter PRO

Auslogics Disk Defrag

Auslogics Boost Speed

Microsoft Security Essentials

Hi WriterJC,

Welcome back here!

As you have a propensity to load and run software with defaults (check your own posts) this isn't surprising. As advisement I offer my opinion that any "automatic" function by any software is detrimental until understood.

You do know that in a little over a year MS will be stopping support for your OS.

Create new shortcuts.

Be more careful.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Mel,

> I must point out that assuming any new program is set up to suit your machine, is a very bad idea. <

Again, I presumed ASC 6 would be no different than 5, and there certainly was no warning to think otherwise. As for assuming ... I've had software of all kinds over a 20 year period, including those not in the public domain (yes, meaning from another internet.) ASC/IObit has been the ONLY software delivered that checks all kinds of things instead of allowing the user to make choices, ala the Registry Cleaner that checks EVERYTHING including critical MS components.

> From what you describe it seems possible that autocare may have been responsible. The fix shortcut item in Autocare may be the culprit. <

Thank you for that.

> Did you try doing a system restore (use the rescue function in ASC) to a time before the Desktop Shortcut disappeared. <

As mentioned initially, yes, I did, to no avail.

> You could also Try the Winfix utility in ASC Toolbox. It has a section in the advanced option which deals with Desktop items. <

"deals with shortcuts" meaning what, exactly? All I want is for the original icon for "My Desktop" to be restored to the bottom of the screen, left side.

I'm in no frame of mind to be making guesses, thus the request for explicit directions.

Thanks again.

WriterJC

Hi WriterJC,

Please kindly find Log folder in %appdata%\IObit\Advanced SystemCare v6 and send it us for further check.

By the way, we also advise you to check all settings before you run a program to make sure the program will do as your request. :mrgreen:

Cicely,

> find Log folder in %appdata%\IObit\Advanced SystemCare v6 <

I have no idea how to find that.

> we also advise you to check all settings before you run a program to make sure the program will do as your request <

I have now UNchecked the unwanted DEFAULT settings that arrived checked with ASC and IObit programs - and, of course, ignore totally the Registry Cleaner with hundred of checked items all marked "High Risk".

Thank God that isn't necessary with other programs.

WriterJC

WriterJC

I can understand your assumption that V6 would perform as V5 did, and the advice we give is a result of feedback from the many users and issues which have arisen. There are many things which people have been doing for many years but now must do them differently based on new knowledge.

While the default settings are decided on the basis of feedback from users, it simply would be impossible for it to be perfect for every machine, and so it is wise to check settings before running new programs.

If the system recovery did not succed in restoring the Icons, then most likely it is gone from your system

The suggestion I proposed using Winfix deals with the Desktop Icon and not the shortcut. Please see the attached Printscreen, and see if this feature will correct your problem.

You can also look at the Registry change logs and Autocare logs by opening the ASC Rescue Centre and opening the relative logs, Please see attached Printscreen which shows the required actions. This may allow you to identify the files which were removed and it may be possible to undelete them.

I am a butthead... thank you Writer!

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and Prosper!

Mel,

Your guidance in steering me in the right direction with a solution for a problem has been most appreciated.

The lecturing, not so much. :-P

Thanks for the reminder about WIN's support for XP coming to a halt soon. Which is better -- 7 or 8? What about an alternative to WINDOWS?

Best regards,

Writer JC

We will be using Windows-7,

as Long as Possible! :grin:

Windows-8 wants you to put 'Finger-prints' all over your Monitors! :lol:

Toppack, so nice to see you. ;-)

I think there are enough 'finger prints' without adding to them, so Windows 7 it is!

Thank you for pointing to the best.

Cheers!

Writer JC

Archived