IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Changing Internet Explorer Homepage.

raffles63

Hi,

Appologies if posted twice, told me it errored with 'post too short'.

I'm using ASC Pro version 5, all seems ok except for it keeps changing my homepage in internet explorer back to MSN.

I've tried changing the links via IE Helper in ASC but it still changes back to MSN.

It also re-adds a few favourites to fav bar which I don't want, but when deleted 1 or 2 days later they return.

Hopefully it is an easy thing to correct, I have tried looking for a similar problem but cannot see any.

It's not major but is annoying

Many thanks.

Hi raffles63! Welcome to Iobit Forum!!

I haven't seen the homepage problem! What is the homepage? Perhaps ASC identifies it as some sort of threat or a junk file. Also be sure of your settings. I'm interested in the settings within your Privacy Sweep. What is checked there? Especially the one in the attched screenshot.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

P.S. This is very curious, "It also re-adds a few favourites to fav bar which I don't want, but when deleted 1 or 2 days later they return." Empty your recycle bin manually after you delete them.

Hi raffles

Have you tried checking the default setting in Windows/Controlpanel/Internet Settings and chosen your own preferred

setting there?

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi,

Appologies if posted twice, told me it errored with 'post too short'.

I'm using ASC Pro version 5, all seems ok except for it keeps changing my homepage in internet explorer back to MSN.

I've tried changing the links via IE Helper in ASC but it still changes back to MSN.

It also re-adds a few favourites to fav bar which I don't want, but when deleted 1 or 2 days later they return.

Hopefully it is an easy thing to correct, I have tried looking for a similar problem but cannot see any.

It's not major but is annoying

Many thanks.

Thanks for the replies.

I have checked the screenshot Mel and I have exactly the same checked as the screenshot.

As for emptying recycle bin, I do that always after I delete anything, never anything in there. It's the 'suggested sites' one of the culprits that returns

(I get fed up deleting it and have moved it along to the end).

solbjerg, I assume you mean changing homepage in internet options (same as going into tools/internet options), thats set as yahoo.com.

Whilst looking I've noticed there is a search section to change default, I've just done that as well now, but won't be able to tell for a couple

of days on that one. But re-adding items to fav bar, I've no idea why, where or how.

yahoo bar settings turn IE on/off

Hi Raffles,

dont use Yahoo myself but they survive on advertising revenue.

My point- suggested sites = money, i suspect that your Yahoo settings are responsible for this and they come back everytime Yahoo updates.

have a look at your toolbar options and see if you can change them.

regarding your homepage change it to whatever you want, then go to

Control panel>programmes> turn features on/off> turn OFF IE, reboot go back to control panal etc turn IE back on, reboot and see if that works.

Roy

Hi raffles63!

Are you running the Yahoo Toolbar?

Lets take a basic look inside your system please!

Please shut down as many apps as you can in your system tray then run the SysExplorer tool from Iobit. Open ASC, goto the toolbox, under the security tab, you will find SysExplorer.

Run SysExplorer and Copy/Paste the log into your next post.

I'm beginning to think you may possibly have some form of browser redirect malware :shock:.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Again thanks for replies,

I'm not running the yahoo toolbar, just fav links to shortcut to sites I want.

This is one of the sites that keeps adding itself after I delete it.

https://ieonline.microsoft.com/

I'll run the SysExplorer tomorrow when I have more time if thats ok.

By the way, this has only happened since I've had ASC Pro, Free version was fine.

I believe that what has happened is that some of your Windows settings have been restored to default! You have to manage this from within your windows. There are some suggestions concerning your Windows settings here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie8-windows_other/suggested-sites-removal-from-favorites-bar-on-ie-8/842d3f15-b7bd-41ff-ae10-cc0c4e92b689?page=1

I will be curious if after you find the right settings, if ASC somehow returns them to default again.

This is not Malware related. No need to look into that or post your SysExplorer log.

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9256&d=1326050808

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Thanks Mel,

I can't do anything today as the said items

have been deleted before I read this.

The yahoo homepage hasn't been fixed, that

problem returned.

Was nice to see that someone else was/is having

the same problem. Although a lot of their problems

were back in 2009. Only fixes they seem to be

commenting on are kind of half measured but will

give them a go.

BTW have not run Win Fix

Update:-

I've just tried as described in microsoft answers (Have also put to them the question of anyone having this problem also having ASC installed, just to see.) will wait till tomorrow.

As for the homepage changing, still no idea, but I can tell you that I've changed start page and default page in IE Helper/IE Settings (thats the first and third box) to yahoo.com and they get changed back to msn the following day or Two.

I've just tried in 'internet options/change search defaults' putting a tick in 'prevent programs from suggesting changes to my default browser'.

Other than that and previously advised ideas, I'm lost.:?

Mel. just recieved this post on that link you said for me to read, was posted be Nascar Fan:-

Yes - There is something in Advanced System Care that is causing this to happen. I found something that will stop the Suggested Favorites from comming and it works. If I run the Advanced System Care the Suggested Faveorites will start comming and keep comming untill I run this other thing that stops it. Click this link and this will stop the suggested from comming back and then Uninstall and do not use Advanced System Care.

http://www.fiddlertool.com/ua.aspx

I've never heard of Fiddlertool and to delete ASC just for a petty problem seems over the top, but just showing that it does look like ASC IS causing this problem.

• 4 years later...

Archived